Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Pima Air & Space Museum's new P-51D

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Today the Pima Air Museum moved the P-51D from the restoration hangar to Hangar 4 for display. They will finish putting on the gear doors, pitot tube, etc. I hope to go back out tomorrow and get some finished photos, but until then I hope you enjoy these.
bill word

Re: Pima Air & Space Museum's new P-51D

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Hmm... I had to look at these for a couple minutes because something didn't look right... and then I realized the gear doors weren't attached! :oops:

That's a great looking restoration, especially with the gun bays completely restored and the hard points, gunsight and prop cuffs all installed. Cool choice of paint scheme too.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:38 pm

excellant!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job on the restoration job out there.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm

It's a beautiful looking job. Great for them. I love the story behind the paint scheme. Thanks for posting pics.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Beautiful! The lack of gear doors didn't fool me for a minute, but what's the story with the kill marks? What AMERICAN plane did he shoot down?? :shock:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Pogo wrote:Beautiful! The lack of gear doors didn't fool me for a minute, but what's the story with the kill marks? What AMERICAN plane did he shoot down?? :shock:

Google his name -- it's been discussed here on WIX before.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Here's a profile I made of "Kit" Curdes' P-51...

Larger Version

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:52 pm

The P-51 the chose to represent flew in the PTO. On a mission the pilot noticed a confused C-47 about to turn long final for a Japanese airbase. The C-47 thought it was a US base. After trying to radio with no results, the P-51 shot out both engines of the C-47. The transport ditched safetly in the ocean while everyone got out safe. The pilot had been delivering nurses to a aid station and got lost. The Mustang pilot flew cover until everyone was recovered safe. They brought everyone back to meet the mustang pilot, and he ended up marrying one of the same nurses he shot down!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 pm

She turned out beautifully! 8)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 pm

As per my original post: the gear doors should be on now. I will go out Fri or Sat and get finished photos
bill word

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm

That's very nice!

I don't think I have ever seen an Italian kill marker before...cool!

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 am

Here's one I took this afternoon after the gear doors were installed.

After researching it I haven't been able to find any proof that he married one of the nurses on the C-47 he shot down. It certainly isn't mentioned in his fairly lengthy obituary that his wife, who was still alive at the time, was one of the nurses on the plane. Both of them had been interviewed by their local press over the years and it wasn't mentioned in those articles either. I doubt a reporter would have passed up a story hook that good.

James

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 am

Augie like!

August

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am

She looks awesome. I equally like the blown up comic cells up on the side of the hangar. Hmm inspiration.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 pm

OMG don't let Vlado see those green inner gear doors :shock: :twisted:
Post a reply