Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Status? DC-3 N472AF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 am 

This DC-3 is now in St Louis, My Dad owned it for many years when it was in Fairview, then it sold and moved on. its under maintenance at this time. there are some WIX'ers that are closer to its location that will chime in soon.
Simon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:57 pm 

Thnx for the reply. St. Louis Missouri I presume. A shame I would have loved to see her.
But good to know she is in good hands.

Brgds
Erwin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 am 

C47A N472AF resides in Terre Haute, Indiana at Hulman Field. You can see her there on the ramp undergoing extensive restoration. We have flown her quite a bit, but she was in need of considerable cosmetic improvement. As we speak, the ailerons are off being recovered and the plane is stripped for paint. Although the final scheme and configuration isn't set in stone, she will probably be coloured as the was with the Royal Canadian Air Force back in the 50/60, doning the red and white lightning bolt and the (KG)668 as she was listed in the RAF and RCAF.

Anyone have PPG numbers for "Maple Leaf Red", white and black as used by Canadian forces and the AETE?

If you are going to Oshkosh Airventure, you will see N472AF/668 there the last half of the week. More than likely, she will be parked in Vintage, as the owners like to sling hammocks inside and camp with the plane. 668 will probably be flying in the show, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
.......2) What is the most historic dc-3/ c-47 remaining in any condition or museum?.....

At the danger of responding to an 8 year old comment, I offer that R4D "Que Sera Sera" at the Pensacola museum is quite historic as the first aircraft to land at the South Pole.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm 

DocThrock wrote:
C47A N472AF resides in Terre Haute, Indiana at Hulman Field. You can see her there on the ramp undergoing extensive restoration. We have flown her quite a bit, but she was in need of considerable cosmetic improvement. As we speak, the ailerons are off being recovered and the plane is stripped for paint. Although the final scheme and configuration isn't set in stone, she will probably be coloured as the was with the Royal Canadian Air Force back in the 50/60, doning the red and white lightning bolt and the (KG)668 as she was listed in the RAF and RCAF.

Anyone have PPG numbers for "Maple Leaf Red", white and black as used by Canadian forces and the AETE?

If you are going to Oshkosh Airventure, you will see N472AF/668 there the last half of the week. More than likely, she will be parked in Vintage, as the owners like to sling hammocks inside and camp with the plane. 668 will probably be flying in the show, too.

Thanks for this update! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to OSH this year.

I'm thrilled that it will once again wear the old RCAF colors that I used to see it in as a kid.