Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

P-47 Pilots

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 am

In A&P class tonight we watched the WW2 P-47 documentary that James Stewart introduced. It showed the "Hun Hunter XIV." I've always liked this airplane but never knew anything about it. What squadron was it, who flew it and is the pilot still alive?

Also, I'd really like to meet George Sutcliffe. Heard he sells insurance in Connecticut. Any way I can get up there to go meet him? If he's still in the insurance business, find out where he works and go in there asking for an insurance quote?

Re: P-47 Pilots

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 am

PbyCat-Guy wrote:In A&P class tonight we watched the WW2 P-47 documentary that James Stewart introduced. It showed the "Hun Hunter XIV." I've always liked this airplane but never knew anything about it. What squadron was it, who flew it and is the pilot still alive?

Also, I'd really like to meet George Sutcliffe. Heard he sells insurance in Connecticut. Any way I can get up there to go meet him? If he's still in the insurance business, find out where he works and go in there asking for an insurance quote?

P-47D-22-RE 40 (42-27910) (Razorback)
''Hun Hunter XIV''
65th FS / 57th FG

Pilot: Lt. Colonel Gilbert O. Wymond (Squadron CO 1943-45, 3 kills)
He was killed in a Republic P-84 shortly after the end of the war.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:58 am

The New England Air Museum features an exhibit specifically on the 57th Fighter Group, which was formed at Bradley Field (then Windsor Locks AAF) in Connecticut and the first group assigned to the newly built base.

The 57th Fighter Group WWII Memorial has a tremendous display containing many personal items from members of the Group. In the film, you can see them singing at a bar mae out of a German Fighter's wing. That bar is on display with the groups kill recod painted on he front. Really a unique piece of history that survived.
Here's alink to the P-47 info page.
http://www.neam.org/inventory/airprofile.asp?ID=107

Jerry

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Here is a link to a sight of the 57 FG.
http://57thfightergroup.org/index.html
Many photo's.
Rick

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Here's the man and machine.