Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: KB 976 Lancaster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 pm 

For all you Lanc buffs, a newspaper article on KB 976 when it was sold to Sir Robert in Scotland back in 1975. My father worked for North Western Air Lease back then and just happened to be around to get his name in the article (Jack Rees)

Post subject: Re: KB 976 Lancaster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:42 pm 

This picture has been floating around on the net for a few years, but it was taken at St.Albert, airport before it left Canada for Scotland back in 1975.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 pm 

For any of you newbie's, here's a few more pictures and history on KB 976.

1965: Purchased by Dr. Johnson, Calgary, Alberta for Air Museum of Canada, Calgary, Alberta. Registered as CF-AMD North-western Air Lease, St. Albert, Alberta, 1969-1973. Registered as CF-TQC. Conversion to fire tanker started but not complete. Sold to Sir W.J.D. Roberts for the Strathallan Collection as G-BOCH water bomber, Sept. 24, 1974-1987. Delivered to Strathallan by air from Edmonton, June 11, 1975 (reported to have be painted orange for this flight). On display at Strathallan Collection, Purchased by Charles Church Ltd, Manchester, 1987-1990 (Church later killed in a Spitfire accident), trucked to BAE Woodford for restoration to airworthy, Apr. 9, 1987, but was badly damaged by hanger collapse, Woodward, Aug. 12, 1987 and resulted in the rebuild being abandoned. Arrived dismantled Bedford, Nov. 1988 along with sections of Lancaster KB994 and Lincoln RF342 for planned restoration by Cranfield Institute of Technology. Stored 1988-1990. Sold to Doug Arnold, Warbirds Of GB Ltd, Biggin Hill, Aug. 1990-1992 for planned rebuild, using KB994 & Lincoln RF342. Sold to Kermit Weeks, Weeks Air Museum/Fantasy of Flight, Polk City, FL, 1992-2002 stored with planed restoration in future.

It was purchased from the Canadian Government by Lynn Garrison in April of 1964. At this time the RCAF ferried it to Calgary, Alberta where Garrison was creating an aviation museum, originally known as the Alberta Aviation Museum, later changed to The Air Museum of Canada. The Calgary International Air Show, coordinated by Lynn garrison to raise funds for the museum saw him fly this Lancaster in the air show with special permission of the Minister of Defence. The Calgary Herald has a good photo of KB-976 on this flight as it flew over another Lancaster Garrison had purchased some time earlier. This was Lancaster FM-136. He purchased this in Macleod and had Canadian Pacific Airlines crews install 4 Merlin engines loaned to the project by Defence Minister Douglas Harkness. The Lancaster FM-136 was ferried to Calgary by CPA (Repair) and placed on a pedestal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And now she is scattered to the four corners with the best bits of 976 and 994 in Florida with Kermit weeks.

________

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:53 pm 

Thanks for posting. I used to go to Strathallan in the mi-80's during the school holidays. I was sad to see it close down, and hope that Kermit gets around to restoring the Lanc one day. I know it is probably far down his list though. It could and should have been so different.

If you are going through he11 - keep going - Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Tanker 336 wrote:
This picture has been floating around on the net for a few years, but it was taken at St.Albert, airport before it left Canada for Scotland back in 1975.

Thanks for posting these.... love the livery in this picture too. So sad what happened to her... and to Charles Church for that matter. The vintage aviation community lost a great friend with his untimely death.

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm 

I have gathered in a lot of KB976 pictures and attempted to tell the complicated story of her all in one place -

http://www.timefadesaway.co.uk/strathallan/kb976/kb_976_intro.html

Any corrections or comments are welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sad deal. Honestly I can't really ever see any of Kermit's big stuff getting done, it's too expensive and there isn't time. It would take someone like Paul Allen to purchase the Lanc and or B29. Other than that its not happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I don't see that happening either and I doubt they will ever be for sale and if they ever are for sale we will be very old men.There wont be anyone able to work on them after our generation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I would like to see this ultimately go to the National Air and Space Museum. This would be a good alternative to the B-24 that they may never be able to acquire. There is apce for the display of another four-engine aircraft in addition to the Enola Gay (B-29) and Shoo-Shoo-Shoo Baby (B-17).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Static rather than potentially fly?! No way. There's a static Lancaster at the CASM in Ottawa.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm 

JohnH wrote:
Sad deal. Honestly I can't really ever see any of Kermit's big stuff getting done, it's too expensive and there isn't time. It would take someone like Paul Allen to purchase the Lanc and or B29. Other than that its not happening.

I have to agree.

I can't see the Lanc or B-29 ever getting done. Both could be almost 10 year rebuild projects, and as you say, time is running out.
I also can't see his Sunderland or Mosquito ever flying again either tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:44 pm 
S/N Geek

I recently worked on the history of the Lanc with the help of a few people and a number of printed and web sources.

Here is the main history...
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Avro683 Lancaster, s/n KB976 {1} RCAF, c/n 277, c/r G-BCOH

A few note worthy bits are here...
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Avro683 Lancaster, s/n KB976 {2} RCAF
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Avro683 Lancaster, s/n KB976 {3} RCAF

If anyone has any photos to which you own the rights it would be great if you could go to the first, or most appropriate, link to upload photos. They would make a great addition to the record.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.