Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:20 pm 

two things in paticular
a k-14 gunsight signed by bud anderson
and a copy of 1000 destroyed personalized to me by don blakeslee
unsigned piece of skin from battle of britain 109 and spit
unsigned piece of skin from a spit that records show at one time was flown by both gentile and blakeslee amongst others
shell casing from wreckage of bud mahurins jug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

spartakle wrote:
I thought I would add an interesting item that came my way from a WWII veteran friend who sent me a laser-copy of a $100 US note with some recognizable signatures on it. I would have to do a lot of digging through my files for a precise date but assume it is dated mid-1960s. Attached is a description of the circumstances that led to the signed note (I whited-out the company name for privacy reasons). Any thoughts on the value of this note? ...at least $100 I would think!

The term "Short Snorter" was used during WWII for the common hobby of collecting various currencies from around the world, most signed, then taped together and rolled-up. Description of how the $100 note came to be.

Wow, what a great story, spartakle. I did a little research for you on the value of that $ 100 autographed note. The basis of my prices is the 7th (latest) edition of the "Sanders autograph price guide", which is the definitive and authoritative source for pricing autographs. It is used by autograph dealers around the world. If we were to breakdown all of the prices individually for the signers, here is how they breakdown in U.S. Dollars:

See 225
McDivitt 30
Shepard 56
Carpenter 50
Slayton 45
Glenn 30
Borman 30
Cooper 50
White 298
Grissom 336
Schirra 40
Young 62
Conrad 60
Lovell 35
Stafford 30
Armstrong 849

The grand total of strictly the signatures on an individual basis would be $ 2226.

You happen to have all of the original Mercury 7 astronauts. That would make the price worth more. The Sanders guide gives a price of $ 5168 for a signed PHOTO of all of the Mercury 7, but doesn't establish a price for just a signed document for all of them, so it would definitely be less than $ 5168, but how much is anybody's guess.

That is a really unique piece with documented history, provenance and a fantastic story to go along with it. I would assume that the minimum value of that signed bill would be $ 2326, which includes the value of the bill itself. Since it has all of the Mercury 7 astronauts in one place plus many others and Armstrong's - which is getting increasingly rare these days - since he stopped signing autographs many years ago, that bill could be worth subtantially more. When you get a very unique piece like that, it's really difficult to establish it's value, as those types of pieces are really only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. My best guess, is that the bill would be worth on the low side, $ 2326 to double the value of $4652 on the high side.

Signed space memorabilia is real hot right now, especially on internet auction sites such as RR auctions. I would be willing to bet that your friend could probably get close to the high number I mentioned, if he were to try to sell it that way.

Hope that answers your question! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:06 pm 

Actually, I was wondering about stuff you guys covet and don't have, but this is cool too. 8)

Carry on! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:50 pm 

Fate is the Hunter,signed by Ernie Gann, and Wind,Sand,and Stars,signed by St.Ex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ZeamerB17 wrote:
Actually, I was wondering about stuff you guys covet and don't have, but this is cool too. 8)

Oh, sorry I misread what you wrote! I'm very lucky as one of my really good friends is an autograph dealer and he is able to get me pretty much whatever I want at reduced prices, since we have an established "business" as well as "personal" relationship. My two biggest "Holy Grails" which he is looking for, and ones that he assures me he can get are: Gentile and Yamamoto.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 pm 

Thanks warbird1 for pricing the signatures on the $100 note. Interesting to see what name brings what dollar value.
Blake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

I have a original VF-17 Jolly Roger Squadron photo taken in Hawaii in 1943 before their first combat tour.
signed on the back by everyone inc all the aces and MIA/KIAs.
P-40 ace Cy Gladen's kill certificates for 2 Zeros and 5 Vals.
The 39th FIS Cobra scarf Capt Alex Currie wore when he downed a YAK-3 over Pyongyang in a F-51D during the Korean War.
Sopwith Camel Fighter Ace signed to me from WWI ace Bob Todd.
yada yada yada 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ZeamerB17 wrote:

I've never been a collector of autographs, but I regret not getting the signature of a couple of great guys I met several years ago. They were men who were "just doing their jobs" during the war, but they were good friends and fellow airplane mechanics. Here's to you, Jim and Wayne, I think of you often!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 am 

warbird1 wrote:
Oh, sorry I misread what you wrote! I'm very lucky as one of my really good friends is an autograph dealer and he is able to get me pretty much whatever I want at reduced prices, since we have an established "business" as well as "personal" relationship. My two biggest "Holy Grails" which he is looking for, and ones that he assures me he can get are: Gentile and Yamamoto.

No worries - this is fun; nice connection you've got!

I have too many wants to list, but I did forget a couple of signed things I do have in Pat Carry's autographed book thread. A print of "Big Beautiful Doll" signed by artist Robert Summers and Col. John D. Landers; and a copy of "Boy From Nebraska" signed by Ben Kuroki. Nothing spectacular like some of you guys have. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 am 

First edition of Mein Fleigerleben signed by Ernst Udet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Personally, I don't think an autographs don't really hold much value for me unless I either met the person or knew someone who was connected to their story. I just don't feel any sort of reverence for a name scribbled on the inside of a cover or the back of a photo. Unless it cost me some sort of effort to obtain (beside simply paying for it), or was gifted to me, I don't feel any sort of "holy grail" connection to it.

With that being said, the few autographs I do have are items I treasure. One is a photo I took of Frank Luckman in front of Neil Melton's P-47 that he was kind enough to autograph for me after a very lengthy conversation. He is one of the most approachable veterans I have ever met and a true gentleman and I feel very privileged to have been able to talk to him.

It would be cool to have something autographed by one of the more "famous" aces of WWII like Gabreski, Bong, etc. However for me, it would simply be a showpiece just for the fame aspect. I find that the less notorious veterans to be much more approachable and likely to share a story or two than the more famous guys I've met.

Because of this, I tend to treasure their items more. The guy who spends time telling his story and seems genuinely interested in my questions is a lot more of a personable and memorable experience than the guy who sits by himself, charges me for an autograph and tells me to buy his book.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:34 am 

Well I am very proud of getting Tennessee Ernie Ford's Autograph He was a B-29 Bombardier . Paul Tibbits Chuck Yeager's on a Europe Silk Escape Scarf over the Area where he was Shot Down ! George Gays sign print of his Bomb Run at the Battle of Midway.Gordo Cooper,s John Henry on a Napkin from the Old Officer Club of the CAF in Harlingen Texas..............the 1982 Blue Angels Team Sign a Squadron Patch.

The one that I cherish the most is Signed photo Of My Great Uncle Foreman Nix He was a Radio/ Gunner on the B-24D Dixie Darling ! South Africa

Glen

Lookie Capt Jim! Wham! Wham! ...............................Termights

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ZeamerB17 wrote:
No worries - this is fun; nice connection you've got!

I have too many wants to list, but I did forget a couple of signed things I do have in Pat Carry's autographed book thread. A print of "Big Beautiful Doll" signed by artist Robert Summers and Col. John D. Landers; and a copy of "Boy From Nebraska" signed by Ben Kuroki. Nothing spectacular like some of you guys have. :D

Every Veteran's autograph is "spectacular", not just the ones that are "infamous"! Some of my most prized possessions are ones in which I have a personal connection with, or a story to tell with it. Those are worth much more to me than the ones that are simply valuable in cost to replace. I've been collecting aviation autographs since 1977, and over the years I've been very fortunate to meet a lot of so-called aviation celebrities as well as Veterans. In every one of my encounters, I've always asked for an autograph. The vast majority have done so very happily with a few who did so begrudgingly and resistantly (you can guess who that was - a favorite of this forum). In any case, all signatures that I personally attained and didn't buy are very special to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 am 

My Les Paul autographed Les Paul Guitar. He was a really great guy! I got to hang with him for about 20 minutes backstage at Club Iridium thanks to a mutual friend.

Me on the left, Les Paul in the center, Good friend Bill on right.

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 am 

My Principal's signature on my Diploma!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next