Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Randy, did you load that by mistake in the dark thinking it was an A26???? I flew O1's & sure don't think this would have been much fun either handling wise or if you managed to get up enough speed to get away from it before impact, also doubtful!!! Anyway, we would sure like to have 4 or 6 of those napalm canisters to hang on the K if anybody knows where we can find them!!!! :-) JR, Ace Feral Hog Extermination Co. Of Texas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
....or if you managed to get up enough speed to get away from it before impact, also doubtful!!!

Lt. Dilbert's theory was based on the O-1 surfing the thermal tailwind of the nape plume to safety. His next duty station was permanent TDY to the Navy as an Air Force supply liason on Diego Garcia. :shock:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Last edited by airnutz on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

...... I flew O1's & sure don't think this would have been much fun either handling wise

=========

That was one of the "Photo-ops" that the pilots of the23rd TASS had. They came down and requested an empty nape, one of the small ones. Said they'd bring it back after a bit. Guess the pilots wanted a pic to send home of their "Warbird"!! Those guys were some of the "Ballsiest" people I ever saw, flying out in that thing with only marking rockets and trolling for gun emplacements.
I know one of them claimed a bulldozer while I was at NKP, but that's another story.
Randy

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 pm 

Randy,

That's the pic I am looking for. I'm sending you an email.

Bob

609th Nimrod, Bomb loader, Gun Plumber, '68 - '69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Several have asked why I haven't updated recently. I am enjoying a couple of weeks in Arizona. Been very fortunate to find some R2800 engine parts that will be very helpful. Have lots of other news and pictures of our new spot in the VFM hangar and the new lights the guys put up yesterday. Will post several pictures of the progress when I get home and can download all the shots. The team enjoyed "Sloppy Joe's" today thanks to Chef Hawkeye and Chef JR. :-) Nice way to celebrate Veteran's Day!! We send our best to our very best!! May you be enjoying the freedoms that your service has protected! Cheers, the other JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Today is the offical Veteran's Day on the calendar, but we all know when it really began on Nov 11, 1918. My Uncle Grady was in northeastern France during the final offensive of WWI. He was killed on his birthday, Nov 5. The assault was moving so fast at that stage that many of the KIA's where just picked up and thrown into a quickly dug trench with the intention of coming back for them later. Only when they came back, lessons were learned about how hard it would be to identify them and give them a respectful burial. The battlefield cemetery where he was moved has his name on a tablet of the chapel, but his grave is one of the many unidentified. His cemetery is one of those selected where unidentified were exhumed for the purpose of bringing home a soldier for the Tomb of the Unknown to represent all of those lost in the war. He could just as easily have been the one chosen. My grandparents and mother didn't even know what happened to him until 1923 when after many inquiries, they received a letter from a soldier who saw him go down. The MIA bracelet reminds us that not all have come home. Lt. John Ryder was an O1 pilot, Mike 81, of the 21st TASS out of Cam Ranh Bay, who was lost on 9 June 1970 about 50 miles NW of Pleiku. His remains were finally located and given a proper burial in 1995. His observer, Capt. Barry Hilbrich, remains classified as missing and presumed killed in action. We will never be able to account for all of our war dead, but we can give them the highest respect and honor by making certain that what they gave us will not be wasted by giving up our freedoms. Thomas Jefferson wrote that a government that can give you everything, can also take it away. Remember those who paid the price. JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In Remembrance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Betcha don't see a view like this everyday!! JR, Arnold and David A. worked all day last Friday to hang new lights over the airplane so that we would have good illumination around the airplane with winter coming on. The gang got our new nest all set and ready to resume production on the K. The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

David A is a pro electrician and he makes this look easy. These lights make it look as though the sun is shining even at midnight!! Thanks guys for getting this done! JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Arnold got our Ramp Service Vehicle, aka "the Ice Cream Truck" up and running again. It has the capability of acting as an engine start cart for our B25, DC-3 or A-26. It also hauls tools and parts out to flight line when needed. Arnold is going to rig up our nitrogen bottle with 50 ft of high pressure hose so that we will have that service also available. Unfortunately, our resident test pilot just can't seem to reach the pedals yet. Otherwise we are sure the vehicle would be given a thorough wringing out. :-) His dad, JR, is already getting pressure to borrow the keys to the car. Being a lady killer as you will see in the next picture, I am afraid JR is in for long spell of T's "growing pains"! The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

See what I mean? Wouldn't you give a million bucks to trade places with T? Yes, those are real Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and he got their autographs along with a lot of attention. I wanted to talk with him about donating those so we could auction them off for the restoration project, but he just wouldn't hear of it. Can't says I blame him. JR PS the Cowboys even won yesterday against Philly. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As much as I hate to move on from previous picture, here is a shot of our new set up in the SE corner of the VFM hangar. We have a bit more room so we spread the work tables out some and placed most of our storage in cabinets along the wall. The guys did a really nice job of organizing and labeling things so we know where to find them. Heck, we even found things that had been forgotten. Maybe I can empty out my storage locker, aka, my house, now and bring all the new instruments to the hangar! JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Denis and Felipe seen here were among the team members who worked on the organizing and labeling of the cabinets. Big Mike, Steven, David L, Ethan... yes, he came back up to visit during the weekend from Houston... were all involved. The real JR kept things on track as usual and just pulls off some amazing things while I am gone. Maybe I should leave more often??? :-) Thanks! JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

See what I mean? Everything is just so neat and "findable" that I don't have the heart yet to tell them that we have 700 lbs of engine spare parts coming on Friday. Hmmm, I wonder what teams are playing tonight on Monday Night Football. Maybe they won't be reading this?? :-) JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another view of the K from above with the new lights making it daylight below. All of the work benches can be used without bringin out extra lights. On one of the tables, you can see new glass set out for the canopies. Ray has the old glass demounted and the frame cleaned up ready to install the new. Just the wheels wells and bomb bay really need much extra lighting now. Much appreciated! JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 276  Next