Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

NImrodA26 wrote:
-------------- "Is it in 1969 or 2014?"

Definitely 69.

Hey Randy.... what makes you think it is '69 so definitely?? BTW, I'll be seeing you at the A26 reunion at Hurlburt on the 19th!!! Yay... is Walt coming? Regards, JR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:20 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The itty-bittyness of photo doesn't do much to blow my hair back...but it looks Memorex...need a bigger snap. :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm 

.............. what makes you think it is '69 so definitely?? BTW, I'll be seeing you at the A26 reunion at Hurlburt on the 19th!!! Yay... is Walt coming? Regards, JR...

Well, the canopies are in place and I don't think they've been on recently. Seats are also in place, and the instrument panel on the right side doesn't look like some of the pics that's been posted recently.

We should arrive in FWB on the afternoon of the 15th. Walt is coming and should be arriving about the same time. Hope to take in the Naval museum at Pensacola this time. Last year, thanks to you know who, everything was shut down when we were there.Give me a call when you get in. You driving or flying??

We just got back from the airport touring the Collings B-24 and B-17. The wife had never been in either one. Quite an eye opener for her.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hmmm...good point Nimrod...but I was giving the crew more credit for their efforts this past weekend. :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:01 pm 

...............but I was giving the crew more credit for their efforts this past weekend.

That crew will never get enough credit for their efforts on that airplane. They continue to do an amazing and outstanding job. Wish I lived closer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:49 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

NImrodA26 wrote:
...............but I was giving the crew more credit for their efforts this past weekend.

That crew will never get enough credit for their efforts on that airplane. They continue to do an amazing and outstanding job. Wish I lived closer.

True dat! But there's been 230,000 viewings who appreciate them and their efforts. I thought I was seeing an LCD screen at the top of the radio(?) controls on the right side of the center console...but it looks like I may be wrong. Grumble...grumble..bigger picture... :wink:

DBF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:35 am 

Ah, it's going to be a good day! What better sight and sound than to step outside with the morning cup of coffee and see a B-17 come rumbling overhead at about 1000ft.!!! We went up to the airport last evening to see them start up and take off with a load of passengers. Got a snoot full of av gas and engine oil. Doesn't happen much around here. BTW the way, JR, you were asking about engine oil a couple pages back. I did see several jugs of 60w engine oil sitting around their equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

On the question of the cockpit picture being '69 or '14... the answer is.... drum roll please.... 1969. This was a picture sent to us by the Nimrod historian, Frank Nelson. BUT, we are using it to return the cockpit to almost the same look, with a couple of concessions to modern radios. Most of these are hidden though. We will play this game again when Larry and the gang are all finished! OK, bigger pictures next time... In other news, Buba and the B-29 made it ok to Midland for the big CAF Airsho that starts in the morning. The B-24 is still in the hangar undergoing maintenance and will not be going. The B-29 goes on a short tour after the airshow and then comes back to Meacham until January for winter maintenance. This would be a great time to come see FiFi. Also, we have it on good authority that the Duck Drivin Lady is out of town attending the Raven's Reunion so we are all safe from being turned into frogs. Her broom is down for an annual. Has to be ready by Halloween, of course. Wouldn't it be sweet if our engine was back from Idaho in time to have a party with Ichabod Crane? Probably just going to miss it by a week though. The team will be working on Saturday to finish up the nacelle repairs, resolve the right oil cooler issue, and install the new carb air temp gauge. The last gauge, the fuel flow gauge, is on the way as we speak from California. Eeeehaaaaaw! The number one engine ignition system that was sent for overhaul in Washington is nearing the final stages of repairs,etc. so maybe that will also come next week. Keep your fingers crossed and come see us tomorrow at the Vintage Flying Museum hangar, Ft Worth!! JR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Image\
One of the miracles of the day... that pesky right oil cooler finally yielded to persuasion and listened to reason. Can color this side done. Re-investigating the left side, a problem was spotted that will have to be fixed next weekend. Lots of other progress to report, but it is almost kick off time for the Aggies. I'll get back to you later... if they win!! :-) If not, I'll be in mourning and unable to write for a day or so! :-) Hawkeye is in somewhat of a dilemma being an Ol Miss grad but his son goes to A & M. They are attending the game in College Station tonight. Wonder how he is going to manage that??

:supz: Go Aggies!!! JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OK, this is my mood since the Aggies got beat by Ol Miss last night! Just kidding... it is the inside of the number 2 oil tank before cleaning. There was a lot of sludge in it. JR stuck a magnet down in the bottom and there were a few ferrous flakes, but nothing big enough to have part numbers on them. We suppose it may have been from the engine that ferried K from Macon to Billings that later was used on the A-26 "Always" movie filming although it could have been from the engine we sent to Idaho for overhaul. Either way, we hope everything gets fixed. JR and Brian cleaned the tank inside and out. Jim S painted the outside so now it looks really nice. Feelin Blue in the Republic, The Aggie JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So how does one clean out the inside of an oil tank, well, it is sorta like noodlin for catfish along the bank of a stream or lake. Not quite sure whether there will be fish, water moccasin or snapping turtle in the hole so that is why one enters very carefully. Bryan did an excellent job finishing up the black hole as will be shown in the next shot. JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is the after shot of the inside of the oil tank. By the way, it is normally serviced to 30 gallons of oil. We will use 60 wt mineral oil for the break in period on the new engine and then change to 60 wt AD after much consideration vrs multi viscosity. JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just heard that Buba made it back from the Midland CAF airshow ok. Guess we can't call it "One Way" anymore. Actually, the official name was just approved by HQ and Buba is now called "Midnight Express". That will be so easy to confuse with "Midnight Special" on TV back in the day. Or how about ol Wolfman Jack from Del Rio, TX, only the studio was really across the border so they could jack the power up. He was a favorite to listen to back when I got my first transistor radio. But I digress, in the other news tonight, the Duck Drivin Lady says she is stuck at the Raven's Reunion due to weather. Yeah, like we believe that. She was having too much fun sounds like. Just trying to get out of work tomorrow. Speakin of, even though it is Columbus Day, many of us will be working. Have a good holiday if you get one!!! JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Work continued on the instrument panel and the pressure transmitters for the BMEP gauge. We found two transmitters to replace the existing inop ones and the team of Larry and Stan ran the system up with air pressure to find the readings were right on the money. They will have to construct some new shock mounts for the transmitters though as the old ones are purty much toast. I think we have mentioned before how it seems that one little bitty project seems to have a way of turning into a bigger one?? :-) JR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Or how about ol Wolfman Jack from Del Rio, TX, only the studio was really across the border so they could jack the power up. He was a favorite to listen to back when I got my first transistor radio.

..."That outlaw X is cuttin' through the air", XERF. One of the "Border Blaster" stations lauded in the ZZ Top tune, "Heard It On The X".
Midnight Express..good handle...good movie, too!

DBF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 276  Next