Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm 
KiwiZac

A26 Special K wrote:
K being the last one of the last 40 the AF operated during the unpleasantness in VN could perhaps participate in a VN memorial. A proper homecoming is long overdue these vets. Our group aims to change that. Anybody want to help?? JR

I can't help, other than to point out that the 40th anniversary of war's end was last month. What would be the next "milestone" anniversary?

Great to hear the progress is ongoing, keep up the great work! :drink3:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So what is David B smiling so big for??? Is it from working on "Mona" or thinking about that hot cherry pie his better half, Paige, is bringing out to the hangar for testing? She is practicing for the Texas State Fair competition. So we are going to do our very best to help her win by sampling her tasty treats and giving her feedback. Yeah, it is tough duty, but somebody has to do it!! Go Paige!! Win that Blue Ribbon!! :-) Now if only Blue Bell would get back in production to go with it. Yummm Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Rand and David A sure look studious while finishing out "Mona". Although our Crew Chief, JR, is gone tomorrowl, we hope to continue the work and then get things all cleaned up for Open House next weekend, May 23rd. The Vintage Flying Museum will have free admission and be serving free hot dogs, etc. Be sure to stop by and visit with all the various projects in the hangar including Kay and Buba. The DC-3 will be leaving for Fredericksburg on Thursday for the long Memorial Day weekend celebrations and coming back on Monday. They will be selling rides in that area. Our neighboring CAF A-26 will depart Sunday for Midland for a Memorial Day observance on Monday and then returning after the ceremony. They have an A-26 veteran pilot lined up as the speaker from the VN era. So if you are in any of these areas, it would be great to go see. Will try to give a report on the work done tomorrow, but since the DC-3 is flying, it may take most of our troops to get it going. They will be selling rides at the American Aero FBO at Meacham tomorrow. Everybody have a safe and fun weekend!! The Other JR

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I am pleased to report we have had success in finding some more parts on our "Most Wanted" list. We obtained two NOS Prop Feather Switches from Executive Jet Support, Ltd, in England and the exhaust flange fittings for "Mona" in Edmonton, Alberta, Ca from our friends at Acorn Welding. They have a big inventory of round engine exhaust parts plus can take care of any welding needed. It just always amazes me that we can still find parts for a seventy year old airplane. Kay had a good makeover in 1965, but still can't change her birthday exactly. We hope her debut will happen before the end of the year. .... just don't know which one yet!! :-) All it takes is time and money, right??? JR

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:32 pm 

All we lack is finishing up!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For those of you who know or have met our team members in the past, we are concerned to learn this morning that one of our guys had a heart attack yesterday and is in the hospital now. "Strat" was responsible for helping recruit many of our guys like Ray, Larry, Mac, Bob and Stan. We wish him a speedy recovery. Take care, Mike!! JR

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:16 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

A26 Special K wrote:
Here is the engine in assembly. Thought it interesting the way the piston rods are all just so spectacular looking. The really big news we got today is that the engine is assembled and will go to the test cell tomorrow. If ever we needed your help to get it back to Texas, this is it. Please consider looking up this website: http://www.a-26legacy.org and hitting the donation button to use your credit card or paypal. Our sister organization is also a 501c3 charitable organization so your donation would be tax deductible. The TWH Foundation will match anything that you give to the A-26 Legacy Foundation which was started by the sons and daughters of the men who flew the A-26 in the SEA conflict. Help us honor these vets by getting their last airplane back in the sky. It sure would be appreciated. Thanks, JR

There is something quite stunning about these types of parts, an industrial beauty. I think someone needs to make art of of non-airworthy examples of these type of components. I know I'd by a lamp made out of that master rod (I think thats what it's called). Maybe thats an idea to raise funds for the project. Make art from the non-airworthy bits and auction them off!

BTW, thanks to everyone involved in this thread. It's amazing.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

A26 Special K wrote:
For those of you who know or have met our team members in the past, we are concerned to learn this morning that one of our guys had a heart attack yesterday and is in the hospital now. "Strat" was responsible for helping recruit many of our guys like Ray, Larry, Mac, Bob and Stan. We wish him a speedy recovery. Take care, Mike!! JR

Get well soon! Here's to a speedy recovery
:drink3:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Despite the rain and low clouds today, it was successful and productive. Work was continued by Ray on the engine fire extinguisher system while David B and Jim S were engineering the plumbing from the bottles in the nacelle out to the appropriate places around the engine compartments. Our old friend Clay dropped by to help out with some sheet metal repairs on the covers that go over the vent lines on top of the nacelles so always good to see him. Larry and Stan agonized over the prop feather circuitry on the right engine since the new switches didn't resolve all of the problems. Larry and Bob will tackle it again during the week. Arnold and David A hammered on some more of the finer details on "Mona's" installation. The cowl flaps on that side are in place now and getting closer to being operational. JR worked on some of everything as usual while keeping our paperwork all straight. That is nearly a full time job in itself. Inu was there napping as usual on his mat while keeping one eye on everybody to make sure there were no slackers on the job. It is tough being the Floor Manager in this outfit sometimes... especially around chow time. Today, the nice VFM folks had open house and served hot dogs to visitors and volunteers alike. Yours truly contributed the homemade chili made from seven herbs and spices from a secret recipe that my Momma invented. Turned out lip smackin' good! Meanwhile, our hangar mate, Buba, was pulled out of the hangar and a run up was done to check out some carb adjustments. The report back was good. The sound of those R-2800's though was like music to the ears. Can't wait to try out "Mona" and "Lisa" and then they tease us with 32 cylinders making good noise. :-) Buba is supposed to go to Midland tomorrow, weather permitting, for a Memorial Day ceremony on Monday. Sure hope they make it ok. It just reminds us why we keep working so hard on these old airplanes.... to honor those who served. Without them, there would be no story. Thanks from the Special K crew.... The Other JR

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:44 pm 

Funny-and all this time I thought the R2800 was an 18 cylinder engine.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

NImrodA26 wrote:
Funny-and all this time I thought the R2800 was an 18 cylinder engine.

Yeah, Randy, you are right. Must be that fuzzy math I learned back when Hillary Clinton was President the first time. Or maybe Buba was only hittin' on 32 cylinders?? I dunno. 36 is the proper answer. Thanks for the catch. Let's try one more time. How many spark plugs do we need for 36 cylinders at say $25 each? Oh crap, I don't want to know the answer to that one! Never mind. Sorry I brought it up. Disregard everything I said after "good morning"! I just know that somebody is going to post the answer anyway. Oh well, JR

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Jim, that chili was pretty good today, and thanks again for bringing it! Good to see you, as always. The VFM crew was more than happy to share our bounty with our friends from over in the dark corner.

For some reason, Inu was extra-friendly today. He kept coming over to see me every time I was out in the hangar, wanting some attention. At first, I thought it was because I had some chocolate chip cookies in my left hand (which he seemed to be able to sense from clear across the hangar) but even after they were gone he was still real friendly to me all day long. And no, I didn't give him a cookie... chocolate can be bad for dogs.

I can't wait to hear Mona and Lisa crankin' out a whole mess o' that sweet R2800 sound!

Greetings to all from the sopping wet Republic of Texas!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dean, that chili was good again today!!! Where were you?? You missed out on that and Buba departed about 1:40 pm after Ma Nature settled down. They were on the way to Midland for the CAF Memorial Day Ceremony Monday afternoon. Should be back between 5 and 6 pm CAF time... which means we see them when we see them on the runway. Ma Nature sets the schedule, but the plan is to leave Midland for Ft Worth around 4:30 pm. Once again, those 2800's sounded so good. I am greeeeeeeen with envy that Kay is not ready to crank yet. But David A and JR put in a long day today working on the cowl flaps for Mona and Lisa. Lots of brackets to replace on the cowl ring connections. I, myself, am headed to the sandbox for awhile so have to leave our most capable Crew Chief in charge. Will try to update things when I can get internet. May your Memorial Day be spent in reflecting on those lost in our service and giving thanks that we have the opportunity to live in a great country. From the Republic, The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 am 

This being Decoration day (Memorial Day) 2015, please remember to pause for a minute of silent honor at 3 PM local time.
As the other JR mentioned, David and I along with T, the third wiper spent yet another rainy Sunday trying to sort out the No 2 cowl flap mount puzzle. The cowl flaps are mounted to two support arc's, top and a bottom, each 180 degrees. Through a system of brackets with "fingers" along with rubber shock mounts, each finger mounts to the double studs at the rear of each cylinder. Mount angles are different, some of the fingers are cracked, bushings worn. So its a tedious trial and error process getting all these in the correct location, but without binding. Jerry D, our long time supporter stopped by to help. Jerry will work his magic and manufacture a few mount "finger" blanks. At the end of the day we had the upper section in place, the bottom started. These will have to come off once again as we have one exhaust short stack on the outboard side that needs installation. We can't do that until the new adapters arrive from our friends at Acorn Welding. Once the flaps are in place will connect the actuators, make them operate and rig them. Sounds really simple...wish it was. BTW we don't have an IPC for any of the cowling system. All we lack is finishing up! therealJR

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:58 pm 

Maybe

B-26K IPB

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/sitebuild ... ownpt3.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 276  Next