Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Obergrafeter wrote:
Not warm like an underground bunker!

TRUE.....I may miss your tool box too. So far today went well but more to come later.....definitely miss the pink screw driver....LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Here is the Tom Wickstrom info of which I spoke earlier......I hope I did this correctly :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 pm 

(sent to me by Eugene Rossel today. Posting here for those interested.)

Final Farewell to Nimrod/Commando LtCol Thomas Lawrence Wickstrom

I attended LtCol Thomas L Wickstrom Memorial Service and burial on 5 & 6 March 2010 at Huntington Beach, CA which is just south of Los Angeles. The memorial Service was one to remember and a Commando experience. He was laying at rest in the Dilday Brothers Mortuary which was just across from the Good Shepherd Catholic Cemetery on Beach Blvd. The room he was in was like a small chapel with church seats. As you entered there was a table with Tom’s picture, his old Plexiglas commander sign some small pamphlet about his life including the following which had this in it:
“Here’s to me in my sober mood when I ramble , sit and think.
Here’s to me in my drunken mood when I gamble, sin and drink.
When my flying days are over and from this earth I pass
I hope they bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.”

This is an old AF song but I was left to believe that Tom wanted it expressed this way in his simple tribute. At the front of the he lay in his casket in the sanctuary. He was dressed in his best, as we will always remember him, his black party suit he always wore at the ACA reunion. One of his children said he had it forever. On his left his military uniform hung with all his decorations and next to it was his flying helmet and front of this was the podium and microphone we all got to celebrate his life with. On the right side of the casket was a beautiful arrangement of his career highlights showing his advancement of rank from A3C to Lt Col. There was also a large portrait probably taken at retirement. Above the casket there was a screen which a LCD projector which projected his life in pictures, words and poems along with his favorite music playing in the background – you can see it at http://www.dildaybrothers.com/obituarie ... m-87980428 . You couldn’t ask for a greater applause and show for his final flight.
People were called on to comment on his celebration of his life. His family and grandchildren, Nimrod comrade at arms, and of course some old Air commandos all contributed to the celebration. Tom was well liked by everyone who came in contact with him from Huntington Beach to Ft Walton Beach. Many of the speeches were very emotional about losing a friend. I learned a lot about Tom from his family and his grandchildren who showed great love and fondness for their father and grandpa. From all the speakers, plus myself, I learned that he was a tremendous organizer from making money for him and friends to keeping the Nimrods together. He was an Avid reader though I remember him as my best authority on the b-26 and A-26. He flew the B-26 in Germany for about 4 years probing the East Germany air defense.
The memorial was a great Air commando and Nimrod success. Air commandos who attended were myself, Benny Blancett, Jay Norton, Dr Rick Surreto, Floyd Arbames, Scott Thompson and Bill Vandyke.
The burial took place at Good Shepherd Cemetery across the street from the Mortuary where his family and one son, who was killed in a car accident, are buried. He was placed next to his son. The weather was cold for California with intermittent rain. The cemetery was large and had been around for some time because the graves were placed close together and you had to walk across them to get to Tom’s burial site. The entire grave markers were laid horizontal on the ground. We all remembered as youngster that we weren’t supposed to walk over a grave as it was a sign of disrespect. It made me feel a little uneasy to be walking over the graves. There were about 100 people attending the burial and Benny Blancett, Tom’s best friend, start organizing things when Jane Wickstrom, Tom’s widow arrived. As she arrived the rain stopped and the sun came out and everyone thought that this was a good omen. The gravesite had a rather large movable covering which most of us could stay out of the rain. Tom’s parish priest was officiating. Before the officiating started the AF had a burial detail and a real bugler on hand from the total force at March AFB. I talked to the AF detail about the bugle and when they mentioned they came from the Total Force at March AFB I asked them what that meant and they said it consisted of both AF reservists and active duty personnel. That is the first time I heard this term and its meaning. The AF detail team put on an excellent farewell show from positioning the casket over the grave which had US symbols stamped on the sides of the casket. I asked if the VA was providing caskets and none of the veterans knew. The team reverently folded the flag in a very snappy way-I guess it has been a very long time since I attended a military funeral but I was very impressed in the professionally and military way Old Glory was folded. It was then followed by a 9 gun salute and with a real bugle for taps. There was supposed to be a flyby, no one knew who, but the weather and clouds prevented this. After this the flag was lovingly presented to Tom’s widow with the presenter knelling on the ground before her and repeating the often heard; “From the President of the US” and that was all I heard of the formal presentation. The AF burial detail from the Total Force did an excellent job. The Priest officiating did a nice job and at the end had the mixed crowd praying the “Our Father” together. They then gave us a chance to put either flowers or dirt on the casket. After this was finished they asked us to stand back as they brought in the heavy equipment which ran over the graves and horizontal burial markers without causing any damage to either. The family and those who choose watched as they lowered Tom’s casket in the ground and covered the grave with dirt. The following Nimrods and Air commandos were there for the burial; Benny Blancett, myself, Scott Thompson, Jay Norton, Bill Vandyke, Jim Hoover (TLCB), AF Flt Surgeon Rick Surreto, Andy Jessups and Floyd Abrames.

About 12 we went to Jane Wickstrom’s house for her favorite gravy and biscuits as well as a lot of other tasty breakfast foods to comfort us from the cold and rain at the cemetery. This completed our final farewell to an old comrade at arms -- Lt Col Thomas Lawrence Wickstrom. May his soul rest in peace.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:02 pm 

The A-26A Counter Invader has been written up in the current issue of the Smithsonian Air&Space Magazine.

The Pacific Prowler's B-26K/A-26A "Special K" has also been written up in an online article for Air & Space. Included with the online article is a just-released video short we produced about the A-26A and "Special K"

The online articles and video are here:

http://www.airspacemag.com/video/Truck- ... vader.html

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm 

We love Invaders :finga:

owner A-26C 44-35898

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Gunny,

Was wondering of you got any answers yet regarding paint texture?? (I'm just glad you guys are thinking details at that level - that tells me the Special K restoration is gonna be sweet!)

Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 am 

Ken wrote:
Gunny,

Was wondering of you got any answers yet regarding paint texture?? (I'm just glad you guys are thinking details at that level - that tells me the Special K restoration is gonna be sweet!)

Ken

Ken-

Actually we did... while we were at the Doolittle Reunion we had a private tour of the Restoration Facility... asked one of the workers point blank about the paint... he kicked his feet and said, well, you're not going to believe this, but we use Sherwin Williams, it is the closest you can get to the original paint from WWII.............. so we'll use Sherwin Williams and it is much easier to match the colors.

gunny

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As far as the NMUSAF paint goes... On one of the behind the scene tours a few years back a tour guide explained that when the planes are being painted while on display in the museum, they will roll paint on, rather than spray. And when it is still wet hit it with compressed air to even out the texture. I do not know if that is exactly what you are looking for but hopefully it helps... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

At the airline where I work the paint is applied by roller. They use a special addative to make the paint flow right (poly type paint). It looks quite good when it's dry.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Of course you're not trying to match WWII texture, you're going after SEA camo, circa 1969. It also isn't supposed to look good, as much as "accurate". Despite the hangar talk, those are some tough colors to get spot-on right ... there are a few not-so-hot results out there.

I still hope you hook up with Dr Mike Schloss (former owner of AD-4 Naked Fanny and former EAA Warbirds Prez.). Story goes they located some original AF camo paint - and results on the bird speak for themselves - great finish.

I'm on a little desert vacation and spending more time around the Herk than usual. Was giving the paint some close up attention yesterday. It may be 2009 Air Superiority grey, but I know exactly what you were describing several posts back -you can feel it, no mistaking it.

There's only gonna be one flying B-26K - get her just right!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:00 am 

Ken wrote:

We're sure going to try!

gunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

gunnyperdue wrote:
Ken wrote:

We're sure going to try!

gunny

You going to paint it and never wash it again???????:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm 

N3Njeff wrote:
You going to paint it and never wash it again???????:)

Are you volunteering?

gunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm 

...........Of course you're not trying to match WWII texture, you're going after SEA camo, circa 1969. It also isn't supposed to look good, as much as "accurate".....................
===========
I guess you have to hit a happy medium between what people like to see and what was accruate. 676 which is at the NMUSAF looks WAY better than it did in 1966 when it flew out of NKP, as did most aircraft engaged in daily combat operations. Looks took a back seat to airworthiness back then. I'm still amazed at how "complete" 679 apparently is.
Randy

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:53 pm 

Greetings from the lowest volunteer on the totem pole! I've volunteered to work on restoring the rear radio compartment in 'Special K'. Earlier I pulled off all the plexi, and am working to remove the big frame that it's attached to. I've started pulling radios so we can conserve them. I've been told that all the radio and transponder equipment in Special K is functional and we want to preserve it. So! We want to acquire replacement, non-working units to paint up nice and pretty and put in the airplane for show. Here are the radio equipment numbers I've pulled out so far that we want to acquire replacements for:

1.) R101B/ARN-6 Magnavox
2.) RT-178/ARC-27
3.) DY-66/ARN-14
4.) R540/ARN-14C Collins Radio
5.) Alliance Dynomotor RCA part B45B443-2

Interestingly (to me anyway) there are several more pieces of equipment in the tail compartment, but I've not crawled back there yet!

If you have or know where we can get equipment like this we can use as dummies, please contact me (or Gunny Purdue of Pacific Prowler at sperdue@mac.com) and let us know!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 276  Next