Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow, Photobucket actually worked this time. Kewl! Anyway, TheRealJR is working on the windscreen area. The new eyebrow windows are on the way and might get installed this weekend. Clay and Denis are going to finish up installing the right windscreen. Tim and company will continue trimming the right side canopy glass. That part of the project has got some light at the end of the tunnel. When it is done and the engine fire extinguishing system is finished, we will be ready to test the engine starters and the fuel tanks for leaks. That happy day when the blue smoke erupts out of the stacks again just can't be that far off! More updates on our FB page. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay Be sure to follow us there. This weekend promises to be a good time to visit. Feel free to drop by and say hello. Chances are you will get a personalized tour of the airplane! :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Kay is not exactly cooperating with the program lately. She decided to show us that she was not going to be cheap....or easy! The cockpit crew has been pulling their hair out trying to figure out a new problem with the left engine prop governor. Larry finally found the fix in the solenoid component. The system now works but we decided to find a newly overhauled replacement at $1400. Gulp!! There goes my evenings off. Need a part time job. Oh well, the weather is going to be just great again on Saturday. We can't believe it is almost March & we could wear shorts if we wanted to. The trees are blooming out. What is wrong with this picture? As was usually said in Phoenix, we have winter. I remember both days of it! You can bet there will be good progress on the canopies this w/e. As always, visitors are always welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:39 pm 

For those of you following the progress of Special Kay here on WIX, we are making good progress. PIC canopy was final assembled by Ray. Its almost ready to be re-installed for good. SIC canopy was final milled today (Sunday). Over to ray for the final trim and build-up. Clay started drilling in the SIC windscreen. Pilot holes, step drill and final ream, and we can almost check that one off. New eyebrow windows are here and test fitted. Simpler process to install. The its on to the PIC windscreen. We will have all new glass on Kay.

Meanwhile the crew has just about got the carbs all installed. Props are all done. Hooray Larry. We got a few problems on No 1. The fire extinguisher manifold had to be re-routed. Problem is we had to disassemble the breather to do it. Not a fun job working up in the hell hole. Go a slight static leak coming out of our No 1 generator. Suspect a garloc seal. Quick R&R (I hope).

I've got tons of photos of all this goings on but its a royal pain to upload on WIX. So jump over to Special Kay Facebook to see what the other JR posts.

We couldn't get him out of his new toy. I think that smile is kinda permanent. Anyway, it woun't be long now. All we lack is finishing up.

VFM Hangar Dance is Oct 22, 2016. FIFI is the backdrop. This out to be one heck of a get together.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A lot of attaboy's to our crew this past w/e. Everybody seemed to realize we are on the home stretch. The pace of the work picked up!! There was even a good number who came out on Sunday to help. Keep in mind we are an all volunteer force and mainly funded by individuals who want to see this airplane in the sky again. They care about its heritage and the people it represents. We want to tell that story at air shows and other appearances. The Vietnam Vet is long overdue the proper recognition & thanks for their service. Please check our Facebook page for the latest photos. FB membership is not required!
http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay
PS The new toy JR mentioned is pictured on our page too. The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Last weekend went well. The left canopy is ready to mount. Right side is very close as is the windshield. Work continued on the engine detailing and fire extinguishing system. A freshly overhauled prop governor arrived. A spare solenoid for the governor is expected soon from a company in California. There is some metal work left to do in the nosewheel well. The calibration of the fuel system sending units found that one had to be changed out. Some adjustments need to made on the gear before we do gear swings. Finally, we find out if we have any leaks anywhere. Then we find the tow bar to pull Kay outside for fueling. Ahhhh progress!! Live and direct from the environs of NJ, The Other JR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:44 am 

Posting here to publicize your facebook page, nice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:46 pm 

Xray wrote:
Posting here to publicize your facebook page, nice

Do you really think that this thread has gone on for 239 pages just so they can publicize their FaceBook page??????
It's just sometimes easier to publish photos over there since you don't have to deal with Photobucket or some such.
Sorry if you don't like it.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Actually, we have posted many pictures on WIX but we encountered so many problems with Photobucket, that we have reverted to Facebook as a backup for pictures. We still try to describe what we are doing from week to week here. It is not that we are big fans of Facebook. It is just easier to keep our pictures up to date especially when I'm on the road like tonight. Live & direct from the hills of New Jersey, the Other JR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:25 am 

I'm a Facebook admin for a couple of small organizations with severely scarce resources that find it useful for photos and messages. Doesn't take much time on a basic level. That can change drastically if you try to get fancy, and the FB people are pretty much no help. If they ever start charging I'll drop it. But much easier than either posting pics to a message board or maintaining your own website.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Actually, we have posted many pictures on WIX but we encountered so many problems with Photobucket, that we have reverted to Facebook as a backup for pictures. We still try to describe what we are doing from week to week here. It is not that we are big fans of Facebook. It is just easier to keep our pictures up to date especially when I'm on the road like tonight. Live & direct from the hills of New Jersey, the Other JR

Ignore the ungrateful trolls- given the huge effort you and the team have put in keeping us all up to date over the years- U can promote whatever the hell you like!

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have a premium Photobucket account and would be more than happy to host and post any pictures for you guys if it is of interest to you. Knock on wood I have had zero problems with my account in the 4-5 years that I have had the premium account. Let me know if I can be of service.

Chad Veich
cwveich@cwvmodels.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

First, let me thank Chad for the offer to do the pics. If we don't get photobucket squared away soon, we will get back to you. Second, we want to send Easter greetings to everybody. It is a fine day in the Republic, even though I am not present. Toronto is a mite cooler, but turning out to be very nice today. So I will miss out on the Easter egg hunt, but the airplane has left enough for us to find. See that story on our Facebook page. Some of the guys are taking the weekend off to be with family. We hope that everybody has that opportunity. Nothing more important. Live and direct from Toronto, the Other JR www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is a trivia question for our resident experts. As you know, we recently acquired a T-33. The question is, what speed will we have to fly the T-33 to have the same fuel consumption as the A-26?? The A-26 burns 200 gal per hour. So game on!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:32 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

210 kts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, looks like there was only one brave soul to venture a guess about our question of matching the A-26 and T-33 at a speed where the fuel burns would be about the same given they both start with 800 gallons of fuel. Broomrider is very close on her answer. The T-33 airspeed indicator is close to a fuel flow indicator. It takes about one gallon per knot of airspeed per hour so 210 knots would be approximately 210 gallons. However, the T-33 would be much happier at 28,000 ft while the A-26 might be down at 8500 ft. Only the Army could call that a formation!!!! :-) The team is working this weekend so please drop by to say howdy. We found some more parts that were missing from the canopies so that should just about finish those up. Live and direct from Camp Parsippany... again. The Other JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 276  Next