Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

B-26K Counter-Invader Restoration ("Special K")

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Here are some photos that I shot today (Jan. 10, 2010) at Denton, Texas, of Douglas B-26K Counter-Invader 64-17679 (N4988N) during a stopover on the way from its former home at Lynch Air Tankers in Montana to a new owner in Texas (I know who and where, but I've been asked not to say anything). Sorry about the poor photo quality. The lighting was not the best from the places where I could shoot pictures without being arrested!

Last edited by K5DH on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Denton gets "Invaded"!

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Well its, not coming to the secret bunker in Boerne so.................................

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Awesome!! It's so great to see that plane in a different setting after watching it languish in Billings for so long. Obviously, the new owner has a very unique aircraft, and thus a unique opportunity to refurbish the old girl into a one-of-a-kind air show attraction. :D I'm glad to have her closer to my neck of the woods now so I can see her more often! Best of luck to what has to be a very proud new owner!

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I am glad that someone put up the cash for this finally. I guess the foundation here in the east lost out. Oh well, thats one less airplane I need to save when I win the lottery.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Any idea how long it is going to be at DTO?
That Co-Invader looks wicked, I'd love to see that roll out.

also a nice surprise, Blue Angels "Fat Albert" was doing Touch and Go's at AFW today. :clap:

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Great shots, thanks for sharing them here. Glad she's in the Lone Star State, hope to see her around soon.

-Derek

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Rob Mears wrote:Awesome!! It's so great to see that plane in a different setting after watching it languish in Billings for so long. Obviously, the new owner has a very unique aircraft, and thus a unique opportunity to refurbish the old girl into a one-of-a-kind air show attraction. :D I'm glad to have her closer to my neck of the woods now so I can see her more often! Best of luck to what has to be a very proud new owner!

Who is the new owner?

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:14 pm

it looks beautiful all dirty!!

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow! That thing looks awesome!!! I also know who the owner is and it's in great hands and will surely be on the circuit when it's good and ready. I just hope I get a chance to fly in it someday. Good work, guys!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 am

I've been following this 26 with great interest over the years, waiting for someone to buy it, and hopefully get it flying. Now it looks like that has finally happened. Cool to have a K roaming around, a rare bird that is. :drink3:

T J

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

spookythecat wrote:Wow! That thing looks awesome!!! I also know who the owner is and it's in great hands and will surely be on the circuit when it's good and ready. I just hope I get a chance to fly in it someday. Good work, guys!

Can you reveal the owner's name?

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 am

Pat - it was stated in the first post that the owner does not wish to be identified yet.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I guess I should read everything before I open my big mouth and insert my foot!

B-26K story and ferry flight

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

The Billings Gazette put out a fantastic story about our ferry flight Saturday. Al Maxwell and I flew 64-17679 to it's new home in Texas this past Saturday with the help of Jim Terry, Rob Diver, and Randy and Leonard Lynch. It will be restored at the Vintage Flying Museum in Ft. Worth over the next year or so. She's due to have her paint stripped this week and will be ferried down to FTW next Saturday. Pat Mahaffey took some great shots of her the other night after we landed and I'm sure he'll be posting those soon.

More to come! I have pics and video from the flight I'll be posting in the next day or two.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/a ... =hottopics

Re: B-26K story and ferry flight

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Isn't this the Aircraft discussed in this post?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34145
Post a reply