Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OK, before I hear from JR, just pulling your leg about taking Kay around the pattern today. So those of yuum who have JR on speed dial, lighten up. :-) Actually, Larry was running pressure tests on all of the pitot-static system and trying to nail down a small leak. It turned out to be the left airspeed indicator which had some loose screws in back. When he tightened these up, the problem went away and all instruments on both sides checked out just fine. But I was sitting there making airplane noises while he was making the gauges move and pretending we were flying the pattern. I dunno, can't we count that?? :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 pm 

That hint on the mystery part is not a whole lot of help. It looks like we are seeing the part of a control knob without the knob on it.
I would guess maybe one of the control knobs on the console between the seats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Looks kinda like a gun sight windage adjustment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Frank, you nailed it!! This is the rudder trim with the crank removed. The plan is for Ray to make a whole new panel cover with new placards while JR and others cleaned up the inside of the control panel for the aileron trim, fuel selectors, hydraulic system selector, and crossfeed. The rudder trim knob can be seen in the previous picture of Larry running the pitot-static system check. It is right below his right knee and above the line to his tester as seen from the copilot's side. The Other JR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It can reasonably be assumed that most of ya'll have heard the difference between Northern Fairy Tales and Southern Fairy Tales, right? Northern Tales begin with "Once upon at time..." Southern Tales begin with "Ya'll aint gonna believe this...." Well, ya'll ain't gonna believe this, but there is another use for silicone. JR rubbed this here seal dated 1965 with the stuff and now it is as soft and pliable as ... uh, well, as the other use for silicone that you may be more familiar with. Sure was news to me. Who knew?? :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm 

I guess that JR is a pretty smart guy, better keep him around. About the mystery part. Are the numbers and letters used to set up the trim system?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

fwnelson wrote:
I guess that JR is a pretty smart guy, better keep him around. About the mystery part. Are the numbers and letters used to set up the trim system?

Yessiree, JR knows his stuff. He has been keeping this train on the track now going on the 4th year. Gosh, doesn't seem that long, but he and several of the other team members have hung in there all the way. Now that the engine has gone to overhaul and there is light at the end of the tunnel, they are getting excited and stoked about finishing her up. As for the mystery part, yeppers, the numbers are used to set up the trim system. We blocked the cables before we took the rudder and thus the trim tab off a long time ago so it should be very close once we hook everything back up. Or at least that's the way it is supposed to work. Kay has her own way of letting us know that she doesn't always go along with the book!! On that first test flight, I just hope it is not a situation like bustin' broncs where you have to have a real cowboy to do the job. That first flight will be interesting to say the least!! Any volunteers?? :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Inside the QEC ring, many different items are installed. This happens to be a Vibrator which assists with engine starting when the mags are not quite going fast enough to put out enough spark. At least that is the way it was described to me. I have it on good authority though that this is NOT a required piece of equipment on Ducks and Brooms. A few weeks ago, we were trying to determine if the K had a fire detection system since the B did. We learned from the manuals and several crewmen that it did not. However, when JR was digging around in the QEC ring, he found an old leftover fire loop that must have been in this replacement QEC after the accident in Macon, GA. It was not hooked up to anything, just hanging loose, so this is another Easter Egg that he has found. The airplane is just a treasure trove of these things. Makes it kinda interesting to keep digging deeper. :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 am 

Its official title is "VIBRATOR, AIRCRAFT ENGINE STARTING, RADIO-INTERFERENCE SUPPRESSED." Kay has the AN4181-1, a June 1949 design. The -1 designates input current of 2.7 +/- .2 amps. The -2 is 4.0 +/- .2 amps, the -3 NTE 4.2 amp. So according to the drawing the -2 & -3 are interchangable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm 

After 7 or 8 hours over the Pacific, a vibrator would have been nice on the back of my seat!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

fwnelson wrote:
After 7 or 8 hours over the Pacific, a vibrator would have been nice on the back of my seat!

Well sir, I can see how that might be an improvement, but what about how numb the bottom end became? Doubt a vibrator would have done much good. I have done a 15 hr from the Middle East several times and it takes days for the feeling to return in that part of the anatomy. Oops, not sure I am allowed to use that word in front of the O2 Lady?? But anyway, in flying Buba around lately, I sure don't understand how you were able to operate in that hot, humid atmosphere of NKP and Laos even at night. I about burn up the second the canopies are closed. Been looking for battery powered fans to try and get some relief. Until we got up to 6500 ft last weekend, even in flight, it was not much better. What altitudes did ya'll usually start off with over the Trail?? JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Speakin of Buba, our very own WIXr, Zane A, caught us pulling up behind the B-24 on the way to the Lancaster fly in last Saturday. I had just shifted over to the left wing for a fly by at Dallas Executive before continuing south to LNC. We sure had a lot of fun until it was time to get on the ground again. The heat returnth. Buba has quite a few appearances scheduled around the DFW area in October so be sure to catch the Invader Squadron at one of them. JR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Guess who is back! Must be time to plan for winter up in Montana. The former bird condo from Billings appears to have been tracked down and some previous tenants tried to move back in so JR had to tape up the back door. While admiring his work, check out the rudder and tab above. It all works very smooth. The vortex generators are very evident along the right side of the vertical stabilizer as well. This is one of the modifications to improve handling during an engine out situation with the higher horsepower that was available in the CB series 2800 engines. The Other JR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This link was posted on the http://www.facebook.com/invadersquadron site from the Lancaster show last weekend. Shows us starting Buba and then taking off. Good noise. Going to be sorta like K one of these days! :-) JR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37yQ-0m ... e=youtu.be

There is also some video of the B24 there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:56 pm 

JR, I think we usually flew over to the Steel Tiger area at 8-10,00 ft. Most of the roads in that area are at an elevation of 500 -1500 feet. Some of the karst peaks in the area are 3-5,00 feet. Going north to the Barrel Roll demanded higher altitudes due to the peaks being 7-8,000 feet and the roads being 1500 - 3,000 feet elevation. Flying at night did help with the heat/humidity situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203 ... 276  Next