Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:41 pm 

JR, I do a fair amount of woodworking and have done some steam bending. In my experience one of the main things is having every thing well planned as to how you are going to handle the hot wood and hold it in place while it cools. I would suggest looking at the web site for Finewoodworking Magazine for some information on the different ways to accomplish this.
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here is what I would do. It's what I've done to make laminated formers for my glider project. I had one test on a 2" radius this way.

Order up a bunch of 1/16 basswood strips from http://www.nationalbalsa.com/ figuring on 10% attrition.

For my steamer I used a length of 3" PVC with a T fitting, cap and a reducing bushing. The PVC was cut up to give me a length a bit longer than my strips, the T, and short capped segment in line, The bushing went into the 'branch' of the T. For the steam source, I went to Walmart and bought a Fry-Daddy tabletop kitchen fryer. I topped it with a simple funnel that then fit into the PVC T. The whole works was clamped to a couple of stands with the open end of the PVC pipe lower than the capped end. The idea is that steam will will the tube from the top down, and condensate will drain out the bottom. A couple of pieces of scrap inside the tube acted as a rack to keep the strips off the bottom, ie in the steam, not the cooler drain water.
Fill the Fry-Daddy with RO or distilled water, plug it in and be careful. It heats up real quick. Once steam is trickling out of the bottom of the tube, put in your strips, and stuff a rag in the end to keep the heat and steam in. IIRC, I figured 10min per 1/16 of material thickness. More time doesn't hurt anything, as long as your steam generator doesn't boil dry.
Pull the strips out (tongs - tongs are good!) and wrap around your form. Clamp in place and let cool and dry. Add a few pencil marks for alignment, and number the strips as each one with have a slightly different curve to them. Once all is cool and dry, you can unclamp the stack, glue and clamp them all back on the form. Once the glue sets, do whatever sanding or shaping is necessary.

One thought on adapting the process for your application. Since all of the fairings are screwed on, you can use those screws to clamp it in place. A simple pliers type paper hole punch will put a neat hole in 1/16 bass wood, so you could punch holes as you wrap the strips around and use screws to hold them in place. Since it's non-structural, you could use a glue with longish open time like Titebond to laminate them as you go. Lay down a strip punching holes as you go, slather it with glue and start laying the next strip down the same way, pulling out a screw in 'front of the curve' as you go.

Hope that made sense and was worth the read.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:15 pm 

Quote:
Any particular temperature or concentration of liquid ammonia to recommend to use?? JR

I just use the ammonia that I get at the local grocery store. No heat required.

Kenn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Gents, thanks for all the input on woodworking. I will pass this along, of course. May get back to you for more questions if we run into a problem. Much appreciated!! JR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Psssst, now that the momma and the kids have gone to bed, want to look at a sexy picture?? :-) JR

Yes, this is our number two engine going thru final assembly. It is absolutely freakin awesome even if I do say so myself!! :-) JR

:drink3: here's to the Anderson team that is building it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is the engine in assembly. Thought it interesting the way the piston rods are all just so spectacular looking. The really big news we got today is that the engine is assembled and will go to the test cell tomorrow. If ever we needed your help to get it back to Texas, this is it. Please consider looking up this website: http://www.a-26legacy.org and hitting the donation button to use your credit card or paypal. Our sister organization is also a 501c3 charitable organization so your donation would be tax deductible. The TWH Foundation will match anything that you give to the A-26 Legacy Foundation which was started by the sons and daughters of the men who flew the A-26 in the SEA conflict. Help us honor these vets by getting their last airplane back in the sky. It sure would be appreciated. Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is another opportunity to help get our engine home. We are having a raffle for this aviation themed, handmade quilt on Dec 7, 2014. It is king-sized and features WWII aircraft on one side and WWI on the other with a few Golden Age aircraft here and there. There are only 500 tickets printed. Odds are very good you could have a great Christmas present for that someone special. You do not have to be present to win, but to win, you must buy a ticket at $5 each. The deadline for receiving your mail request and cash, check or money order is Dec 3. Send same to:
Greatest Generation Aircraft Non Profit Museum
4056 Falcon Ridge Drive
Haltom City, TX 76137

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Close up view of the aviation quilt we are raffling off. See previous picture on how to order your tickets. PM me if you have any questions. Winner will be announced Dec 7 and the quilt will be shipped as soon as the address is confirmed. Should have it easily in time for Xmas. Thanks for your support. JR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Kay team could use some more sheet metal help since the engine is getting close to delivery & we have too many projects for Ray to do alone. Come see us at the VFM hangar if able & interested in joining our team. Be sure to see engine pictures on previous page.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our engine went into the test cell today. It will probably take a week or two of final checks, etc, before we get it delivered. Again, while we realize it is the Xmas season and dollars are getting scarce, we sure need the help of those who want to get this airplane back in the air. Please consider a contribution thru our sister organization, http://www.a-26legacy.org, so that we can get the matching grant that will double your contribution. It is tax deductible since it is to a 501c3 organization. Our goal is to make the big coming out party happen at EAA OSHKOSH 2015. Can't happen if we don't have the funds to finish the airplane. $5 becomes $10 for K. Any amount is appreciated. Help us honor the Vietnam vets who are long past their due! We can't let this generation of Americans pass without letting them know how we feel about all of our troops, then and now. If you are proud to be an American, thank a vet for his or her service. That's the only reason we are restoring their airplane. JR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

coff, coff.... sputter sputter..... vrooooooommmmmmmmmm!!! Oh, what a relief it is!! :-) JR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Turns out the coughing and sputtering was due to a carburetor problem. Ugh... Now it will have to be flow tested back in California to see what's up. Otherwise, the engine ran well today. We hope to get some video in the next day or two and will try to post it so we can all see this beauty in action. JR
PS Does anybody remember this phrase? "So round, so firm, so fully packed...." :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

EEEEhawwww, now we are talking. This is a picture of our newly overhauled No. 2 engine starting up for the first time in the Anderson test cell. All was reported to work well so now the engine will be checked over for any problems. Maybe it will be here in time to be Kay's first Xmas present. :-) If you want to see it in action, go to this short youtube video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2apRSyS ... e=youtu.be

It is a joy to the ears so turn up the volume!! :-) JR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

:drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 pm 

.......No. 2 engine starting up for the first time in the Anderson test cell.

==========GAWD, does that sound nice!! I could almost smell the smoke from here in ole Virginny.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 276  Next