Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

At least with the prop if you change your mind all you need is a can of spray paint and some masking tape. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CAPFlyer, did you make it to Kay Day? I was a little busy so didn't get visit with as many people as I would have liked. JR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I did. Got a few pics and video of the run. That was one of the nicest running engines I've heard in a long time. Had a couple around me commenting about the backfires as if they were "bad", but that's just due to you guys not knowing the engine yet and how much prime it wants when started. You'll get it figured out and she'll fire right up every time without a hiccup. :)

Can't wait for the next phase and hope to get a chance to stop by occasionally!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We have some adjustments to make yet. One is the electric boost pump runs a little low on pressure so Larry was trying to adjust with the cockpit rheostat. Found a few dead spots in it that may make it run intermittently. It didn't want to run on prime alone so that caused the backfire. Mixture kicked in to smooth things out. Carb is a little rich at idle so that will have to be corrected. The engine driven hydraulic pump wasn't putting out enough pressure at low rpm and idle so that is being investigated. But it RAN!! Whooohooo!! We picked up a lot of data from the video of the gauges so we can get everything up where it should be for taxi tests. JR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

New Kay Day photos & videos are posted on our FB page. Membership not required. In the news, the right engine is being shipped to rebuilder to figure what the problem is. We anticipate a month to six weeks delay in our flight plan. Stay tuned.
http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:19 pm 
KiwiZac

Good luck! Please post if any extra donations are needed to help Lisa get back where she should be.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:06 pm 

Hey guys and gals! Here's a new way you can get some cool artwork and help support the restoration of Special Kay at the same time!

Get a pair of signed prints. They are approximately 22x19". Come as a pair.

Proceeds will benefit the aircraft restoration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302021317622

Last edited by hawkeyepoole on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:14 pm 

I have three new videos from "K Day" on the 9th of July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7VV9JkBKY
We didn't go into North Vietnam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdTZSkRQ6Ss
Tim Black speaks about the importance to his group of the A-26 restoration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLcziGzAM8
Jack Mezzo and Maury Bourne discuss some interesting events from Farm Gate, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hawkeye is helping to raise money for Kay with the A-26 prints that he is featuring on EBay. They are signed by the artist who was on A-26's out of NKP. All proceeds go to the restoration effort. Please click the link to his EBay site to have a look.
We also want to send our heartfelt sympathies to Tim and the rest of the Silver Dragon crew who had a nose gear failure and subsequent return for emergency landing at Oshkosh this week. Glad everybody made it out ok. The crew did a great job in minimizing the damage. We will share whatever parts we have that they might need to make it ferriable back to John Lane's shop. They had just put a freshly overhauled engine on the left side. It only had test time and flight time from Santa Fe to OSH so this really is a double whammy. The Silver Dragon is on the cover of the July issue of "Warbirds" magazine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 am 

So they knew the nose gear was not locked down? I suppose that would be gutting knowing the result would be damaged engines props and fuselage. And probably caused by some smallish part too. Ah well you yanks bounce back after shocks like this. Money time and lots of spanner turning and she'll be back flying again. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

According to the reports just after the accident, they heard a pop when extending the gear and were told it wasn't down prior to landing so they went around to try and troubleshoot but ended up having to land "as is". I'm sure that Tim will let everyone know what happened in due time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our right engine, "Lisa" is expected to arrive in Idaho tomorrow about noon. It may take a day or two to tear it down and find what the problem is. Two of our guys volunteered to haul her up and they have made very good time considering it is 1800 miles or so. They spent the first night in Pueblo, CO and then discovered the "pleasures" of Denver traffic this morning. Chuck and Big Ed are really humping to get her there and will probably help in the teardown. We are anxious to know if it is a quick fix or a start over overhaul. Or maybe something in between.... We very much appreciate their willingness to tackle this task. This may set our first flight back several months, but it is what it is. We'll deal with the cards played and make the best of it. Everybody on the team is trying just that much harder to get other things done so we will be ready when "Lisa" comes back home! Be sure to drop by the Vintage Flying Museum hangar on weekends to see the all volunteer team in action. You never know what else you might see at Meacham. A few weeks ago, the flying eye surgical clinic dropped in for some paint at Leading Edge's shop. Ck this out on their website: www.orbis.org
Don't forget to look at our FB public page for the latest pics. www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:56 pm 

Here's one of my many NIMROD interviews. This is Tim Black and Gus Gustafson.

https://youtu.be/L0dwJOC-N7o

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am 

Hawkeye Poole... Thank you very much for your videos. I enjoy them all and I especially enjoyed the one with Gus Gustafson and Tim Black.

And thank you Tim and Gus for sharing. Although I never really knew you guys at the time, I know I humped bombs on your A/C and talked with you at de-arm after your missions.

609th Nimrod, Bomb loader, Gun Plumber, '68 - '69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Bob, we always appreciate your remarks and input. Would you settle one other question we had on our Facebook page, please? When you returned to NKP, was there any evidence of PSP on the ramp or runway? I seem to recall there wasn't, but someone was looking at a Google Earth picture and thought there was. Thanks, JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 276  Next