Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 am 

Looks like fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is another little problem we encountered on top of the empennage. This antenna housing has delaminated. Clay could redo it with some effort, but Ray did some searching and found one locally complete with whip antenna. Our resident Nimrod, Joe M. said they never used the FM air to ground or air to air while he was there in the early days. Typically, the A-26's flew combat at night instead of supporting ground troops during daylight hours with the big exception of the battle of Khe Sanh. Mark, the picture you posted represents the last months of the A-26's at NKP probably. That would have been late 1969. The reason I say this is because of the armament load panel on the side of the fuselage, the finned napes and the extensions on the high explosives that would cause the bomb to explode above ground rather than in the ground thus extending the shrapnel range, etc. These all came late in the A-26 era. And Rod, pulling the engine was a hoot for the team!! Thanks Hawkeye for capturing the action. In other news, at the hangar, the B-29 and B-24 tried to swap positions today and it didn't work out quite like as expected but the 24's engines did get tested outside. She should be ready to go to the JRB airshow this coming weekend. Both are back in their former positions so there will have to be another shuffle on Friday, weather permitting. Had some T storms drifting by today. Drop on by the hangar this weekend for the GGA Militaria show and DC-3 rides. There will be lots of military hardware etc for sale or viewing. Vehicles as well. Can also see the B-29. It would be good fun to do the Militaria show on Saturday and the airshow on Sunday!! JR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mark, about the camo pattern you posted, it is a little out of date. True, K had that pattern most of her AF career, but it was changed to semi gloss black on the bottom instead of the lighter gray or cream when it first got the camo paint. We are still wondering why it was changed late in the game unless K was next on the list to go over to NKP. Instead, all the airplanes were brought home but five that were given to the SVAF for maintenance trainers. These were blown up as the NVA was advancing thru VN toward the end. JR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, lookee what Big Tim brought us back from Hawaii. You may think it is a Hula gal, but actually, it is our engine vibration monitor. She will be mounted up on top of the copilot's instrument panel and if she is dancing hard, we are nervous. Something bad is happening either to the left or right engine. :-) Thanks Tim!! JR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm 

Great video of the engine removal. How about a video of when it goes back on, very interesting. Where are you located. I am going on a trip this summer to see some of these warbirds.

I don't remember WW II
I remember those who lived it

B-29 Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 pm 

We're at Meacham Field in the Vintage Flying Museum hangar. Same place as Fifi for the next couple of years :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

hawkeyepoole wrote:
We're at Meacham Field in the Vintage Flying Museum hangar. Same place as Fifi for the next couple of years :D

Meacham Airport is located just north of downtown Ft Worth in the Lone Star Republic which some people refer to as Texas. :-) This coming weekend, April 26-27, would be a great time to visit the city. The Joint Reserve Base just west of Meacham is having a big airshow with the Blue Angels while Greatest Generation Aircraft is having a Militaria show. Numerous vendors and collectors will have displays of military items for sale including many dating back to WWII. Some WWII re-enactors are expected along with the Military Vehicle group. Our C-47 will be selling rides both days, weather permitting. The B-24 is planned to attend the airshow, but the B-29 will be undergoing maintenance at our hangar. Looks like a gorgeous weekend. Come on out and have a grand time by attending both events. JR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 am 

A26 Special K wrote:
Well, lookee what Big Tim brought us back from Hawaii. You may think it is a Hula gal, but actually, it is our engine vibration monitor. She will be mounted up on top of the copilot's instrument panel and if she is dancing hard, we are nervous. Something bad is happening either to the left or right engine. :-) Thanks Tim!! JR

A friend of mine has one of those in his T-6! Now I know what it's for! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I hate it when Larry gets a puzzled look on his face!! :-) Anyway, all those wires and hoses are getting hooked back up this week as the panel comes back together. FiFi is in the background. The B-29 will be in the hangar, but the B-24 is slated to attend the airshow. The CAF A-26 is supposed to go if it can get back from BRO. It is operational again, but low ceilings down that way have hampered the return. That reminds me that the GGA Militaria Show is this coming weekend so drop on by to see all the military goodies for sale and look at how we are coming on the K. Should be a fun day! The Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base will be hosting the Blue Angels and a huge airshow for both days. You can check out our FB page at http://www.gga1.org and for JRB show, http://www.airpowerexpo.com/
JRB starts at 11 am so you could drop by to see our M show and then continue on since the two airfields are adjacent if you only have one day to play. JR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeppers, ol' Kilroy is back. Now if you can just figure out who it is!! Come by to see us on Saturday and we will introduce you! :-) JR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The CAF A-26, aka BUBA, made it back from Brownsville this evening in good shape. The crew meets about 7 am in the morning to get 'er ready to continue to the Ft Worth NAS JRB airshow tomorrow. They will come back to Meacham after the Blue Angels finish the show as the weather forecast includes hail and thunder-thangs tomorrow night. Some flight training for new pilots will take place on the way back over and perhaps Sunday if the weather cooperates. Glad to have BUBA back with us. Be sure to stop by and see the new T shirts they have for sale at the airshow and take a look at the airplane. Don't forget that Greatest Generation Aircraft is having a Militaria show also this weekend. Most of the vendors are set up inside the hangar so rain or shine, the show will go on. There will be food vendors as well so you sure won't go hungry. Come on out to Meacham Field and the Vintage Flying Museum hangar on the SE corner of the airport. Look for the firehouse on the corner of Main St and NW 38th ST. Go west until you hit the airport fence on 38th. Turn left and look for the big hangar with the yellow and white paint job. Can't miss it. BTW, the Navy A-3D restoration crew has been making some good strides on their bird lately. It sits outside next to the hangar on the south side so be sure to take a look at their work. That was a mighty big aircraft to launch and recover from a carrier. Impressive is the word. The AF version was the B-66 and was the aircraft Bat 21 was shot down in during the VN war. You might have seen the movie. Oh heck, what I am thinking... of course you have seen the movie or you probably wouldn't be on this website!!! See ya tomorrow. :-) JR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How many DC-3 pilots does it take to make up new engine hoses?? From the report I got, they have just about completed the chore except they needed a few feet of a certain sized hose to finish the job. Something we have all heard before, I reckon. :-)Anyway, the Militaria show went ok considering the big competition last weekend with the NAS JRB airshow with the Blue Angels. I headed off to Maryland to have some fun with a B-25 named "Panchito". That is some purty country out there on the Eastern Shore. Salisbury seemed to be a very nice town. The runway at Georgetown, the normal home base, is undergoing construction. BTW, in the background in the pic, FiFi is not going to be in the hangar much longer. She leaves on the tour of the west soon. Come by next Saturday and get a look before then. Check the CAF website for the tour schedule. Incidentally, the new CAF Home Office selection was announced today as Dallas Executive Airport, nee Redbird. Hard to believe they did any real due diligence on that selection??? Can't hardly make sense of it, but what do I know? Oh well, until next time boys and girls, this is your ol JR signing off one more time. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:26 pm 

GREAT stuff,

Still haven't read all the pages will do that over time.

I do have a question though.

On several pics I see a black t-shirt with the B-26K on it. Are they for sale?

harald
The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Harald, yes the black T shirt is available. Please PM me with your size and I will check to see if we have it. Will give details on cost. Thanks for your interest. Regards, JR

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:17 am 

A26 Special K wrote:
Hi Harald, yes the black T shirt is available. Please PM me with your size and I will check to see if we have it. Will give details on cost. Thanks for your interest. Regards, JR

Can't seem to find how to PM you but XL would suffice, I'm located in the Netherlands

Thanks

Harald

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 276  Next