Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:27 pm 

Saturday was a fine day for the Kay crew. Cooler temperature was a welcome break, while the gentle fall breeze mixed well with the sounds from Stan's DVD player.

Our focus was finishing up the No 1 oil tank install. Big Tim, Rand, and Dave B knocked it out of the park. As soon as the oil shut off valve comes back from overhaul we can install and start filling the tank with oil. With that going on Arnold, yours truly and our resident Nimrod Joe Maynard made the No 2 oil tank ready to remove. With help from the guys from the left wing we all pitched in and had the tank out and on the table before the lunch break.

Our mess hall chef Hawkeye dished out his famous burgers, COTC, all the fixins, along with bownies and pecan squares for a welcome luncheon. We had a big ole get together with representitives from all corners of the VFM hanager.

Our newest team member, Alex from The Netherlands and Stan teamed up to install two new ignition vibrators, one for each engine. We had a small oops when we received eight static dischargers, not the expected static "wicks." Both have the same PN sez ILS. Larry continued on his quest to make everything in the cockpit "work." Today he focused on the GAC (gawd awful compass) and the BMEP indicator. Later Alex and Miguel started tackling the oil tank bay cleanup. Back on the left side the guys were putting the final touches on the panels that enclose the oil cooler system. Yours truly had a big three days in the Northwest territory. Quite impressive sights on the floor of a certain facility in Everett. Witnessed the birth of 767, 777, 747-8, various 787's and our next tanker the KC-46. So I'll leave it to the other JR to post photos of the day as soon as he recovers from his beloved Ag's defeat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Real JR gave a good account of the today's activities except for one thang. The Aggies did not lose. They tied the game at the last second and went into OT where they won 35-28 against a very good rival, Arkansas. Arkansas has defeated the Aggies the last several outings in AT&T Stadium, nee the Cowboys stadium, so this was triple payback!! Gig em!!! Now about those pictures, apparently Photobucket has a limit on how much can be posted and viewed per month so I am on the whoa list looks like again. Links won't copy. So as soon as I am off the bad boy list, I'll get them posted. We have gone over 225,000 views so that may have something to do with it. Would like to remind you that the Big Band Hangar Dance is next Saturday night at VFM, Meacham Field, Ft Worth. We will have a lot going on that night besides the dance. The DC3 will be offering rides over the night lights of the city. There is a silent auction for a lot of nice stuff. We will begin sale of tickets for our aviation related quilt. Man, that would make a great Xmas present or something to curl up on the couch with to watch Fall football.... or nap!! Maybe both. The B24 and Kay will both offer tours. Be a good time to pick up your A26 T shirts as well. See ya there, The Other and very happy Aggie JR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Got some picture capability back this morning so will space these out over the week. JR is cleaning up the right oil tank area. Later, Alex, one of our new guys, took over to finish it up. The oil tank had not been out probably since the Macon accident restoration. It is in decent shape from the first inspection but will need a good cleaning. Brian B will bring his power washer next Saturday to take care of the outside. Apparently, this tank does not have a separate section to warm up a smaller quantity of oil before opening up to the full tank circulation. The other tank is the same way so will have to check this out as most radials use the warm up scheme to expedite starting. Jim S is measuring and making templates for the air intakes on the oil cooler so that we can make some plugs to keep birds and debris out while parked on the ramp. Yes, we are thinking a little bit ahead, but getting the plugs made will take a little lead time. Just more light at the end of the tunnel..... :-) The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

David B, Tim and Rand got the left side oil cooler hoses hooked up and that piece of the puzzle in place. We are having some plugs made that will keep the air intakes clean when not in action. We have resolved no more bird nests!! When David A is able to return, JR and David will finish up the right side. We send good wishes and get well soon to David A's mom.
The oil tank will be cleaned and a new hose put on here and there, but for the most part, should be ready to go back in soon. All the overhauled components have been delivered for the right engine so that it won't leave very many to re-install when it comes back. JR was talking about building a wooden cradle for the engine so that we can hook up the QEC and have everything ready to go in one swoop. It appears we have all the parts in place to hang the prop as well. Sure will be nice to have two props on again. Now I am anxious to go try those engines out!! But JR says it will be a at least a couple of months anyway before we are ready to pull it out of the hangar and start testing things. Lots of details left to do. Everybody wish us luck, huh?? The Other JR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Meanwhile, back at the ranch in Idaho, work continues on our engine. Eighteen cylinders is an awful lot to keep up with on the bench. It is like a baseball team I reckon. Each waiting its turn at bat. Will it be a hit or a miss? We are anxiously awaiting the score. I am reminded of the song that goes something like.. "I fooled around and fell in love..." Oh, whatever possessed me to start loving round engines??? The sight of them starting up.. oil smoke, puking, barking.. finally catching some rhythm and then that sound... that sound of a hundred Harley's pulling up.... power personified. The finesse it takes to get one going, juggling mags, primer switches, mixtures, throttles ... feel like a one handed piano player... But Gawd, I love it!! I can almost hear the cha-chings on Mr. Anderson's cash register though. This one is going to be the mother of all overhauls, I'm afraid. :roll: JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is the aforementioned oil tank. When used to talking 6 to 10 quarts in small engines, this is normally serviced to 30 gallons. Instead of burning 1 or 2 quarts per hour, usually a 2800 can be expected to burn about 2 gallons per hour. Big difference in thinking and planning. Now there is the question that wasn't an option back in K's military days, use single weight oil or multi-viscosity? It sure takes 60 weight oil awhile to get warmed up and moving freely. Would any other big round engine operators like to give their opinions on this subject? Yep, there is a cost difference so it matters. Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Would any other big round engine operators like to give their opinions on this subject? Yep, there is a cost difference so it matters. Thanks, JR

Jim, have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53519&hilit=lets+talk+oil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dean, I had read that thread some time back. Most of it deals with the smaller engines. No real comments about the operating of R2600's or R2800's hardly. So thought I would stir the oil pot here once again. I would like to hear from somebody who has operated a 2800 on both multi-vis and 60 wt AD oil and see what their results have been. I expect Mr. Anderson to tell us to operate on mineral oil on the new engine for a certain number of hours or until the consumption levels off before shifting to straight 60 wt. I am happy with that but the question is whether multi-vis might help with starting wear or cooler temps. You know Texas, it can be hotter than a pizza oven one day and colder than a Dairy Queen Blizzard the next. We are not going to install the oil dilution system so it really matters to us as to how best to care for the engine. We are installing a pre-oil system that JR designed as a result. It will use clean oil each time rather than getting the dregs out of the bottom of the oil tank. Thanks, The Other JR PS See you at the Hangar Dance Saturday night!!! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Top of the oil tank looks a bit messy as would be expected after years of collecting oil spills and grime. Probably not as bad as it could have been though. It will get a thorough cleaning on Saturday. Even though we are trying to tidy up for the dance, we still have a full day's work planned on the airplane. We will quit in time to go home, take a spit bath and put on some of that smell good water just in case some philly decides that one of us might make a good dance partner. Boogie Woogie dancing fool I am... uh.. I am good for at least once! :-) But ya gotta love that 40's music. Maybe I should wait for a slow song? Sorry, I got side tracked thinking about all those girls who are going to be there just dying to dance. Where was I? Oh, yes, the oil tank will be re-installed after JR's plan for the installation of some quick disconnects for the hydraulic system is finished. This will allow us to hook up the mule directly to the system without having to disconnect lines each time. We have a multitude of tests for the gear system and this would make it much quicker while lessening the risk of allowing air into the system. It will be so nice to get back to making gear swings and hook up the gear doors! The Other JR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our new torque gauge.. ain't it purty?? :-) The wet limits are 253 and the dry limits are 222. That's what the book says. Guess I need an interpreter, uh interpretor.. interpretur?? Oh what the heck, somebody who can explain what this means. Larry has to put new range markings on it before installation, but that should happen soon. The two new pressure transmitters are expected as we speak as the UPS truck has them out for delivery. Don't see this type of gauge on very many piston airplanes but it sure makes a lot of sense on these R2800's. JR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

While the left side was getting the oil cooler lines all finished up, the awesome team of Alex, JR and Miguel was working on the right side. Alex is one of our newest team members and he is cleaning up the oil tank area. Miguel is working some of the issues with the nacelle cover for the vent and fire extinguisher lines.
Like to give a shoutout to our man in AZ, "Shrike" for the assistance he provided. Hope you enjoy the T shirt!
Don't forget the hangar dance is fast approaching this coming Saturday night. The weather is going to be perfect now that the cold front has blown thru town. It was exciting for a little while with 80 mph winds, heavy rain and some hail... but this is Texas! "Ain't no step for a stepper" as my buddy Daryl used to say.
Lastly, we are wondering if anybody might have a wiring stamp machine they aren't using and might like to loan or sell. Electrical wiring is just much easier to trace out later if the wires are numbered. Please PM with any info or leads. Thanks, The Other JR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Calling all History's Mysteries Detectives! I was drooling over Martin Simpson's "everything you ever wanted to know about A-26's" website ( http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id893.html ) and ran across this picture. Fell instantly in love. You gotta like a gal who can stand on a prop hub in cowboy boots! So what was this airplane and lady all about? That's the mystery of the week!! I'm headed to the hangar to get ready for the Big Band dance tomorrow night. Maybe a gal like this will show up!!! Keeping fingers crossed in the Republic, JR :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Calling all History's Mysteries Detectives! I was drooling over Martin Simpson's "everything you ever wanted to know about A-26's" website ( http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id893.html ) and ran across this picture. Fell instantly in love. You gotta like a gal who can stand on a prop hub in cowboy boots! So what was this airplane and lady all about? That's the mystery of the week!! I'm headed to the hangar to get ready for the Big Band dance tomorrow night. Maybe a gal like this will show up!!! Keeping fingers crossed in the Republic, JR :-)

Huntress was A-26B 44-34766. It was a Bendix racer (Race #91) owned by Dianna Converse Cyress Bixby. Perhaps that is her in the photo? The Invader is still around, N26BK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Bryan, that was quick, but can you expand on what happened to her after the Bendix race and what she was attempting to do? There is also a very ironic ending to her life in 1955. Very interesting lady and that is her on the prop. Her mother was Mary Converse, the lady sea captain and pilot who taught navigation to a lot of pilots in WWII. Another hint, Dianna flew for Flying Tigers freight airlines at one point in her career. None other than Paul Mantz was her adviser on another project. Anybody interested enough to dig deeper?? It had to do with a DH Mosquito. Ring Ring, anybody there?? :-) JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Go ahead and make my day!! Yep, the gunsight was installed for the tours tomorow night at the hangar dance. We put in the control yoke on the right side and both seats so this is your chance to come play Top Gun... sorta... :-) I suppose everybody knows that an A26 was credited with shooting down a Luftwaffe Me-262 in WWII?? JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 276  Next