Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

hi,

There were no B-10's in Hawaii, well ok but they were B-12's and there were only 3 or 4 on Oahu during the attack.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:36 pm 

There is video of it on the "Saving our History" series...USS Arizona episode. The parts of the Arizona that are out there are actually the base of the original memorial, just the lower part of the superstructure and a relatively small piece at that. It was torched off when the new memorial was put in place. You can see where it was if you look hard enough while on the memorial.

I heard that when they were dredging the berth for the USS Missouri they did find parts of a Kingfisher along with the Okie mast and the Nippon torpedo you see at the visitor's center. The mast was transferred to the Natl. Park Service and was at the visitors center at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

IIRC, I believe there was an article in Parade magazine (IIRC) on the 40th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor about the Arizona's superstructure and Kingfisher being left in an isolated area. I want to say it is on a peninsula near Pearl Harbor, but obviously, it's been nearly 30 years since I saw that article.

Was the Kingfisher at U-H a Pearl Harbor survivor? I know it spent time on the USS Indiana, but they have it in pre-war colors, which Indiana was not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:34 pm 

After reading the article that was referred to by N3Njeff i looked on google and this could be the metal from the arizona. It is in the right area. Not enough detail to zoom in to properly see. What a place it would be to hike around through there!

Ah yes, There we were, left engine on fire, right engine feathered...ahh yes,...there we were, ..Screwed! No Kissing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That must be it. That area might prove to be a treasure trove! :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:03 am 

I somehow think if there were viable aircraft the navy would be grabbing them long before now. Even pieces. We've all seen how they control wrecks. They don't let much slip by and not do something with it.
Still would be an interesting place to visit.

Ah yes, There we were, left engine on fire, right engine feathered...ahh yes,...there we were, ..Screwed! No Kissing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just finished watching the rerun of last years Barrett-Jackson auction and Ron Pratt (what does the guy do to have that much money?) bought the FORD 4AT that was shot up during the attack on 12/07/41 so add it to the list too-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:00 am 

The Inspector wrote:
Just finished watching the rerun of last years Barrett-Jackson auction and Ron Pratt (what does the guy do to have that much money?) bought the FORD 4AT that was shot up during the attack on 12/07/41 so add it to the list too-

Paid 1.1 million for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I made a few screenshots of the area in question. This area is indeed where they did put some wreckage from December 7th. It's not really visiable from all the growth. But you can slightly make out areas of large metal structures and piles of metal.

This next shot was taken just a little further North then the last shot. Can't make out what it is but it is large:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:17 am 

Nathan wrote:
Yes it is off limits. It is the same area that stores the Arizona birdcage. There are junkpiles in and around this large area. Containing wrecked and peices of aircraft. Trucks dumped lots of wreckage from December 7th there. But seems this place is kept secret. There is also a storage of 55 gallon drums of toxic liquid there too. :? What was left of our airforce on December 7th is still there!

Well, the next time any of us are on Oahu someone should rent a C172, fly over and check it out and report back. I am going to be there in 2013 or 2014.

TonyM.

"Welcome back Mr. Lasky."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will be there for my honeymoon this year. I could try to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:20 pm 

Aloha All,
The existing "Pearl Harbor" aircraft must EXCLUDE that Ford Trimotor once owned by the K-T Flying Service. K-T had used that Trimotor at their Chula Vista, CA operation, not in Hawaii...despite previously published data.

The 'treasure' areas of which you speak "Off of Pearl Harbor"...are not easily accessible to the average millionaire.

The "dump" ground southwest of Bouy #1 (entrance bouy to the harbor) marks the southern end of Tripod Reef. This 1200 foot deep area is a hodgepodge of wreckage or obsolete military material...including bombs, aircraft, small ships, vehicles...

This Bouy#1 is cited in the reports of the USS Crossbill, USS Cockatoo, and USS St Louis in the torpedo attack by a midget sub....see the NOVA special on 5 Jan 2010 and then report back here for more.

The dump ground on Waipio Peninsula is of the lower portions of the USS Arizona AND the previous platform for the flagpole and "monument" cut off to make the current memorial. The bulk of what we see above the waterline in the 8 Dec 1941 photos of the USS Arizona was shipped back to the mainland as scrap steel. The Waipio location was fenced yet the gate was open until the late 1980s...now it is guarded and the gate is locked.

The dump ground at Kaneohe USMC base is also behind locked gates and off limits to even most base personnel. At the bottom of that stack of crashed aircraft in the ravine MAY be a PBY or two.

The dredged material which were recovered off of Ford Island to make room for the USS Missouri was only moved to another spot off of Ford Island. This includes some of the top mast material which broke off as the USS Oklahoma rolled, and the remains of a crushed OS2U.

Sorry that to dash hopes for quick riches, but Hawaii is fearously enforceing the 50 year Antiquity Act...which means that the dumps are not to be touched.

Cheers,
David Aiken, a Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc.
http://www.pearlharbor-history.org/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Didn't they do a segment on this on "History's Lost and Found"? I think I remember watching it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

APG85 wrote:
Didn't they do a segment on this on "History's Lost and Found"? I think I remember watching it...

Yup, they did. Episode #26. Air-date: 11/08/2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I think that there are two or three other civilian aircraft airborne over Ohahu during the attack that are survivors. Will look into it and report back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next