Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

surviving Pearl Harbor aircraft

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 am

So what aircraft are survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Off hand I can think of:

JRS-1 at Garber(this thing is truely historical)
P-40B at Duxford
A civil aircraft onboard USS Missouri
SBD-2 at PNAM

Isn't there a midget sub on display somewhere in Texas?

I can't wait till we are allowed to go in to the junkyard off Pearl Harbor. You got the Arizona birdcage and other parts from various ships. Also junk piles full of wrecked P-40s, P-36's, etc. I really hope we can go in there someday! :D And yes I heard that this stuff DOES survive! Including parts of the Arizona's Kingfisher.

Re: surviving Pearl Harbor aircraft

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:10 pm

That sub would be at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg (formerly the Nimitz museum)

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Nathan wrote:So what aircraft are survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Off hand I can think of:

P-40B at Duxford
SBD-2 at PNAM

I can't wait till we are allowed to go in to the junkyard off Pearl Harbor. You got the Arizona birdcage and other parts from various ships. Also junk piles full of wrecked P-40s, P-36's, etc. I really hope we can go in there someday! :D And yes I heard that this stuff DOES survive! Including parts of the Arizona's Kingfisher.
Nathan, I have never heard about a junkyard off of Pearl Harbor. That sounds very interesting. Is this junkyard off limits now? Are there any websites that have pictures of the "junk"?

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Nathan, The civil aircraft you mentioned is an Aeronca 65TC. This plane is now on display at the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/exhibits/aircrafts.html I also remember reading recently the museum also has on display remnants of a Zero that was shot down during the raid on Dec 7th.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Yes it is off limits. It is the same area that stores the Arizona birdcage. There are junkpiles in and around this large area. Containing wrecked and peices of aircraft. Trucks dumped lots of wreckage from December 7th there. But seems this place is kept secret. There is also a storage of 55 gallon drums of toxic liquid there too. :? What was left of our airforce on December 7th is still there!

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:18 pm

The Arizona birdcage would make a great addition to the new museum being constructed at Pearl Harbor. I know the main mast of the USS Oklahoma was brought up out of the muck in Pearl Harbor in "recent" years but I dont know where that ended up. Are there any photos on the web of this junk Nathan that you know of?

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:30 pm

It was shown on TV awhile ago. Can't remember what program. Possibly on the history channel. I am not even sure of the location of this storage/junkyard is. It's just off of Pearl. Perhaps heading towards Ewa. I have tried map quest several times and it will not zoom close enough for Oahu. Why? I think parts of the USS Oklahoma are there too among a lot of other things.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Nathan wrote:So what aircraft are survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Off hand I can think of:

P-40B at Duxford
SBD-2 at PNAM

Sounds like more recovery work for Taras!

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Along these same lines on PBS on Tuesday January 5th (at least here in Chicago) NOVA has a show called "Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor": NOVA joins an exclusive dive beneath the waters of Pearl Harbor to trace new clues to the sinking of the USS Arizona with unprecedented access to the Arizona wreckage. Sounds like it might be an interesting show.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Nathan wrote:Yes it is off limits. It is the same area that stores the Arizona birdcage. There are junkpiles in and around this large area. Containing wrecked and peices of aircraft. Trucks dumped lots of wreckage from December 7th there. But seems this place is kept secret. There is also a storage of 55 gallon drums of toxic liquid there too. :? What was left of our airforce on December 7th is still there!

Would there be anything left of the planes after sitting in salt water all these years?

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Chuck Greenhill's restored Grumman Duck was supposedly a survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Their not in the water.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Somewhere on the internet, I have seen pics of the Arizona super structure. Its on a hillside overlooking the harbor somewhere on pearl. This is the 1st time I had heard that aircraft and trucks still existed???

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Here is a couple
http://ussarizonafacts.org/remnant1.htm

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:33 pm

There is a Ford Tri-motor still flying around. This aircraft had bullet hole patches from the
attack until it's recent restoration.

As for the junkyard. I have read in a Navy "Proceedings" magazine article that a barge load
of Martin B-10s were dumped just off Pearl Harbor.
Post a reply