Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Su-27 Flanker Update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 pm 

Hi everyone -- just a quick update on the projects:

Flanker #31 made history today! After an extensive evaluation process, conducted by local FAA personnel, Flanker #31 was licensed by the FAA. It is now registered as N131SU, making it the first of its type ever to be licensed in the USA (as well as whatever other "firsts" you want to come up with -- "First 4th Generation Eastern-bloc fighter with an N-number," perhaps?). First flight will follow soon!

I can tell you that the paperwork part of the project was incredible. My hat is WAY off to the professional evaluation conducted by the FAA folks. They were very thorough!

Regular full-power engine runs and extensive systems checks of both aircraft continue to be carried out. Flanker #32 will be licensed shortly.

As always, more information is available at http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm.

Post subject: VERY COOL!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 pm 

bring it to Reno! :prayer:

Post subject: Re: Su-27 Flanker Update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 pm 

I really hope that I'm still working in the RFD area when the first flights happen. If you guys see a Cat tractor stopped in the middle of the field with some crazy guy snapping pictures... its me.

Oh yeah and grats on the paperwork. Does its weight match the planes yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 pm 

I have to say the SU-27 series of airplanes are among the sexiest aircraft ever created! I fell in love with them back in 1990 when the Soviet Union started falling apart. I had never heard of the SU's until they landed at Boeing field in Seattle of that year. One week later I was able to see them in action here at Paine field, what a sight! I have hundreds of slides I took of them here at Paine and at Abbotsford! Thank you for the updates!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm 

HogDriver44 wrote:
Hi everyone -- just a quick update on the projects:

Flanker #31 made history today! After an extensive evaluation process, conducted by local FAA personnel, Flanker #31 was licensed by the FAA. It is now registered as N131SU, making it the first of its type ever to be licensed in the USA (as well as whatever other "firsts" you want to come up with -- "First 4th Generation Eastern-bloc fighter with an N-number," perhaps?). First flight will follow soon!

I can tell you that the paperwork part of the project was incredible. My hat is WAY off to the professional evaluation conducted by the FAA folks. They were very thorough!

Regular full-power engine runs and extensive systems checks of both aircraft continue to be carried out. Flanker #32 will be licensed shortly.

As always, more information is available at http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm.

Hi Buck;

We have a pilot on our international flight safety work group (Tom Orsos IFPA) who's flying the 27. He says it's one heck of a bird.
Best of luck with your program.
Dudley Henriques

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Question for you Buck. Several years ago, there was a group that was going to license the first Mig-29 in the U.S. with the FAA and fly it at airshows. I never knew who or what was involved, but I haven't heard a word since. I realize that some of that information might not be public right now, but can you confirm if anybody is currently or planning on putting a Mig-29 on the U.S. civil register? If so, how many? Thanks for all of your updates, they're appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:12 pm 

Mig 29s in USA

http://www.redair.net

air usa

i understand the Mig 29s are still not flying

Last edited by Vulture on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:06 am 

warbird1 wrote:
can you confirm if anybody is currently or planning on putting a Mig-29 on the U.S. civil register? If so, how many?

I believe there was more than one -- perhaps as many as five or six. But unlesss something has changed recently, those airplanes are still sitting in a hangar, and nothing serious has been done with them in quite some time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:20 am 

Things are happening quickly, so here's the latest update:

Flanker N131SU taxied today under its own power. Two taxi checks were accomplished, the first one being a high-speed "takeoff abort" profile with drogue-chute deployment at 130+ KIAS. All systems were nominal.

The second taxi test was to calibrate the aircraft's heading systems and complete the ever-so-important compass correction card. :roll:

Here are a couple of photos. (Sorry for posting iffy-quality photos in these hallowed halls. The light was dim and the camera was not the best...) More photos are posted at http://www.prideaircraft.com/flankertaxiphotos.htm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

They'd better fly soon. Snow is forecast for the next 5 days.
VL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:31 pm 

Oh thats great news indeed. :D

HogDriver44, would it be out of my way to ask about some backgound on who's gonna pilot those beautys?

I hope all final shake down procedures goes well, and we'll see them in the air soon.
Thx for the update HogDriver44.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:53 pm 

haavarla wrote:

HogDriver44, would it be out of my way to ask about some backgound on who's gonna pilot those beautys?

I hope all final shake down procedures goes well, and we'll see them in the air soon.

Thanks

Haavarla,

I wish I could divulge that right now, but as you've probably noticed, this project is currently governed by some strict rules. All I can tell you is that any flight crew members involved with these airplanes are eminently qualified. :) I hope we can provide more information in the near future. Sorry for being so coy... Thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:38 pm 

HogDriver44 wrote:
haavarla wrote:

Thanks

Haavarla,

I wish I could divulge that right now, but as you've probably noticed, this project is currently governed by some strict rules. All I can tell you is that any flight crew members involved with these airplanes are eminently qualified. :) I hope we can provide more information in the near future. Sorry for being so coy... Thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

No problemo, i understand HogDriver44 :)

While we all awaits further news update from Prides, i dear indite some additional Flanker news.
I have a link here featuring the latest Flanker development from Sukhio(KNAAPO).
What you see here are the soon to be Russian designated Su-35S, they are the very latest and sadly probably the last/final version of the Flanker 27 series to emerge from Sukhio/KNAAPO.
No doubt these birds will be the work-horse in the RuAF in the next two decade after which they will be replaced with the next fighter generation.
Note that other than it beeing an singel crew station aircraft, it has the very same external feature as Prides civilian UB Flankers.

Oh and i do think Pride's Flankers colour layout are some of the best out there regarding Flankers.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saF0P0eEyWE&feature=related

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 pm 

December 10, 2009:
FIRST FLIGHT! After much preparation and work, Flanker #31 (N131SU) became the first civilian-operated Su-27 Flanker in history. The aircraft blasted off Runway 25 at Rockford Airport (KRFD) after a takeoff roll of approximately 1000 feet, and climbed out of sight at a 30-degree angle. The pilots conducted a 40-minute long litany of systems checks, all of which were nominal, then returned for several low approaches and a graceful landing. Photos and video of the event coming soon!

http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

HogDriver44 wrote:
December 10, 2009:
FIRST FLIGHT! After much preparation and work, Flanker #31 (N131SU) became the first civilian-operated Su-27 Flanker in history. The aircraft blasted off Runway 25 at Rockford Airport (KRFD) after a takeoff roll of approximately 1000 feet, and climbed out of sight at a 30-degree angle. The pilots conducted a 40-minute long litany of systems checks, all of which were nominal, then returned for several low approaches and a graceful landing. Photos and video of the event coming soon!

http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm

Wow, fantastic news, Buck! I know you can't say who flew it, but was it a Russian or former Soviet republic Flanker pilot or a U.S. Flanker checked out one?