Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Gary's Passing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:49 pm 
Probationary Member

I received a phone call early Monday morning with the news about Gary. It was very sad. He should have had half a lifetime or so left to go. I thought of little else the first day or two. As for as I know, Gary was liked by most everyone. He certainly was one of, if not the most respected people to write on WIX. Many of the members knew him only through his writings and especially the long series he posted about the B-24 conversion. That was so well done, I doubt if many professional journalist could have done better. He certainly had some writing ability, and his photos were excellent and gave the viewer a real impression of what had been done. While I admired the dedication and the quality, not to mention the quanity of his work, what also added so much to it was his sense of humor, such as the posts of his cat. It gave him a human side.
When Gary came to the CAF maintenance dept. I spoke to him about coming to the airshow in Midland. When I got there I went to meet this new guy. He was very personable and accessible, nothing formal, no facade. I didn't get too long to talk to him as everyone is pretty busy at airshow time and Gary impressed me as a guy always looking for something useful to do. He seemed to be very helpful to anyone who needed it. I know one year Eric Downing was having some trouble with his Skyraider and Gary was out there getting it going.
Who would have thought they could get the B-24 ready in time to take it to EAA, but Gary did and there it was.
One of the highlights for me was seeing it there and seeing Sen. George McGovern there in the pilot's seat with Gary. For those who might be too young to know or remember, long before he was a Senator, or a Peace caondidate, he was a decorated B-24 combat pilot flying in the Italian action.
Becky took some photos of the B-24 that day and I will try to get them posted on Wix soon.
Over a couple of years Gary and I exchanged some pm's on WIX. Mostly they were humorous, or at least I tried to make them that way.
I'd joke with him about his messing with snakes and he'd tout the various radial engines over the Merlin. He even tried to claim the Allison was better than the Merlin. Hey, I never said Gary was perfect, too many long days in West Texas dust and heat can warp anyone.
Another thing one has to respect about Gary was how he took a used racer, rebuilt it, flew it to Reno, passed his race pilot's test, qualified and raced., and won best rookie prize. I think he even had a Mayday tha the handled well.The plane was not one of the fastest, but Gary did a good job, and seemed to have as much fun as if he was in Rare Bear, and had everyone's respect. And unlike some big stars, he let his work do the talking, no big bragging act. Gary did not seem like the kind of guy that you'd find in the bar in his "look at me suit" at 9 pm at night.
When a medical problem kept him from racing, he was very matter of fact about it, no whining, but I am sure it hurt. I had 25 years of warbird flying, if not racing, and I know how much I miss it.
I am going to write more about Gary later, got to clear my thoughts now.
Bill Greenwood
P S, thanks to Ryan for reactivated my account so I could write this, it has been almost a year since I have been on WIX and I appreciate the opportunity, although not the cause that we are addressing.

Last edited by Bill Greenwood on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

good to see you here again, Bill! Gary lead a very full life and he'll be missed deeply by all. I keep thinking, as I log on, that I'll see his latest goofy post about snakes and cats and maybe his dogs and when I remember he won't be around any more I am left with a sort of empty feeling. Gary was indeed one of WIX's most important personalities and I can't imagine anyone filling his shoes, either here or in the world.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:36 pm 

Thanks for your post Bill. Gary will be deeply missed.

http://www.airport-data.com/photographe ... arma;1045/
bluedharmawix@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Excellant post Bill. Good to see you back here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That was very nice Bill, it was very descriptive of Gary. Hope you are well.
Regards
Robbie :spit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Good post Bill. Gary was a "Can Do" kind of person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 pm 

Very nice post Bill. Not trying to derail your thread, but have repairs begun on your Spit yet? I, as well as everyone else, look forward to seeing it in the air again soon.

-Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very nice words Bill. Welcome back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm 

Nice post Bill and glad to see you post again. I wish it could have been due to a more cheerfull moment on WIX.

Thanks to the powers to be for letting this happen.

Cheers dave C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 pm 

i got a kick out of his occupation as listed in the official Reno guide "greasy mechanic". Right there beside the doctors, real estate people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bill, good to have you back......

Hope you can stay and this isn't an isolated post.

Mark H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:19 pm 

Thanks for the insights into Gary, Bill. Hope to read many more.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:56 pm 

Welcome back. Wish it were under different circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

many thanks for the post Bill... Gary really was one of a kind. I still can't believe he's gone. It feels like an awful joke, and I have to keep reminding myself that it is indeed true. I guess the one thing we can all take to heart is that he will always be with us so long as one of us remembers him. I certainly feel that way. He left behind an incredible legacy too, that few of us will get to realize in our own lives.

All the best,
Richard

PS. Although it took an awful tragedy to trigger your return, I'm very glad to see you here again Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bill, of all the hundreds of replies of respect & sorrow re: gary, yours was conspicuously missing. glad the management let you post your thoughts.