Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

2005 Flight with Gary

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Saw the sad news and wanted to post a pic to honor Gary. I met Gary in 2005 during a flight in Fifi from Richmond Va, to Winston Salem. I saw the comment on someone's post that he didn't suffer fools and that was an understatement but a very neat and professional guy none the less. This photo is from engine startup and Gary was hard at work.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Sure gonna miss you Gary.

kevin

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am

HI Jack,

I wonder if you could do me a small favour: about a week ago, for whatever reason, my computer or the WIX site undid my login, and I haven't been able to sort it out since. For whatever reason I'm unable to log into WIX, and I was wondering if you could post this on my behalf.
Gary's suicide knocked me flat on my ass. I didn't know him, though I was fortunate enough to email with him a couple of times and talk to him on the phone two or three times. He was one of those people that, after twenty some odd years in aviation I wish I could say I knew, though I didn't. I loved his posts,and I read them eagerly, and I really, really appreciated the encouragement that he gave me and others in our small efforts at preservation. The loss for those of us here that actually knew him in the flesh I can't imagine, but all of you have my profound sympathies. That this was a man that I would have enjoyed knowing is an understatement. I'm sorry for all of our losses and those of Gary himself. My only hope is that, wherever he is now he is at peace, and has found contentment, and one day,hopefully in the long distant future, I hope to meet with him and discuss how Kee-Bird should have been salvaged!
Very sincerely and respectfully,
Daniel W. Jones

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:24 am

There will be a Memorial Service for Gary next Friday at the CAF. Gary's parents are here, and his good friend Andy Bivins, and all the CAF HQ people have been doing whatever is necessary at this time to help with Gary's affairs.

CAF Director of Publications Ally Trevino is preparing a video tribute to Gary to be shown at the service and would like anyone with photos of Gary to send her copies (electronically if possible). Her email is atrevino@cafhq.org. I'm sure there will ba a fly-over but at this time I'm not sure what airplanes will be involved.

The outpouring of support for Gary has been very comforting to those of us here.

Old Shep

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I'd just like to add my 2 cents.

I never met Gary. In fact, I've never met anyone from this board. Most of you have forgotten more about warbirds than I'll ever know. Gary never looked down at me in his post when I asked him things. Gary was always so patient answering my questions a lot of people probably thought were dumb and pretty basic warbird stuff. Gary's posts around FIFI and his work on Diamond Lil/Ol' 927 were awesome. I was so impressed with his abilities and workmanship. I learned a lot from his posts. I never saw him ever say a negative word about anyone. If anything, he always seemed to be a peacemaker. This is a terrible loss to the warbird community. But it is even a greater loss to his personal friends and family. My deepest condolences. :cry:

Doug

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:20 pm

me109me109 wrote:EAA posted Gary's Timeless voices interview. Click here:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 6700747001

Great guy.

Anyone know how to download that? Would like to burn it to DVD.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Fouga23 wrote:

Great guy.

I have RealPlayer 11 on my PC at home. It usually can download any video. I'll give it a try at home later tonight.

Rich

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Old Shep wrote:There will be a Memorial Service for Gary next Friday at the CAF. I'm sure there will ba a fly-over but at this time I'm not sure what airplanes will be involved.

The outpouring of support for Gary has been very comforting to those of us here.

Old Shep

Would be a nice tribute if Ol'927 was able to do this. There's alot of Gary in that aircraft.

Shay

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I made this up late last night, The image of the B24 is done in HDR and the image of Gary was from Roger Cain. The text was something that Gary talked about in the EAA video ( thanks for the link for that ) that I thought was very fitting, most people never talk about the guys that kept the aircraft flying during the war.

Thanks to Roger for the image of Gary.

Cheers Dave C

????

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Dang that's amazing!! Great job!!

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Very nice!

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Fouga23 wrote:

Great guy.

It's relatively easy to do with a lot of software out there able to do it. I have it downloaded, but since it's copyrighted material, I don't know how happy the EAA would be if I posted it here. I can post it here to download, if somebody get's their permission first.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Mr Cheeseman
WOW!!!!!!!
thanks a lot

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Warbird1 - please check your pm's regarding Gary's EAA video.

Thanks!

Zack
EAA Timeless Voices Program Coordinator

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Steve Pierce,

Thank you for typing and posting all that. Means a lot to me. :(

Regards, Kurt Maurer
Post a reply