Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

bdk--PM sent.

Bill, you're absolutely right about Gary's talent as an author. He sent us a copy of his early draft of a chapter or two, and I think it would be great if you'd see fit to post his work.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 am 

They just don't get any better than Gary Austin. If a person is ever compared to him in any way, it should be taken as an honor. The accolades would take a paragraph, or maybe a couple of pages! It would be an injustice for me to even begin.

My thoughts, and prayers are with his friends and family.

Regards,
Lex Cralley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am 

In the 16 hours since I learned of Gary’s I’ve tried to come up with something prophetic to say. The appropriate words still escape me, possibly because there are none in the English language powerful enough appropriately convey those feelings.

I first met Gary at Airsho in either ’04 or ’05. He took the time out of that hectic show weekend to guide me through the B-29 and show me all the cool innovations he was incorporating into it. To say I was impressed with him and his work is a complete understatement. Throughout the weekend we spoke at length about rebuilding the P-51C, the work he was doing on FiFi and his excitement about the plans they had for the B-24. We corresponded regularly after that weekend encouraging each other as we both faced challenges in our respective projects.

I was new to the CAF then and still not sure about my desire to become fully immersed in it. Like many others, I had heard a lot of negative things about the organization. Meeting Gary and spending time with him showed me what good things the CAF was capable of. A person didn’t need to be a good judge of character to see he was the genuine article. What I didn’t completely realize then but became aware of as he rebuilt and documented the transformation of the B-24 was that he, Gary Austin, was the best ambassador the CAF has probably ever had. More than that, his love for these old airplanes made him an outstanding role model for the entire warbird community.

Gary will forever be marked in my memory as one of the good guys who gave enough of a d@mn to make a difference in as many lives as he could. How true that statement really is occurred to me only after reading through this thread and realizing how many lives he had touched in very significant and tangible ways. As I type this I asked myself, if I died tomorrow, would my loss have that great of an impact on as many people? If the answer to that question is no, then I haven’t done enough yet and need to get busy. The best way to honor guys like Gary is to follow their lead, that way they’re never truly gone.

We will all miss Gary just as we miss Don Hinz, Gerry Beck and all others who gone are now but gave freely of themselves. We are all better people because they were once among us. It’s natural to feel sad that they are gone now, however it’s more important to be glad we had them, if even for a short time.

God Speed Gary…we’ll see you on the flip side,

John

Last edited by John Beyl on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:07 am 

I don't have the words to say how missed Gary will be. To say he was a helluva guy would be an understatement. We had the honor of hanging out with him at Austin Acres. For those of you who never got the chance, I am posting a sort of tribute. Blue Skies, Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

muddyboots wrote:
Gary and I talked about our mutual depression a couple of times and I asked him to please contact me before he did anything bad. He hadn't hinted at it but I know this disease and I know how badly it can affect you. I'm sorry he is gone. I am sorry it beat him. I have tears in my eyes as I type this.

But there isn't much any of us could have really done. He needed a lot more help than we could have done over the phone or even in person. Please don't think you could have somehow pulled a fireball out of your tailpipe and somehow saved him. Depression is just a monster and when it comes in the night, we're all on our own. I don't know if he ever sought help--I urged him to but refusing to accept help is one of the problems that comes with this thing.

Just please, if you only take one thing from this learn the lesson that depression is real, that people who truly suffer from it aren't making it up or just being sensitive. It hits and it hurts and it kills the best of us. Someone you know is still alive, and still suffering in silence.

Rest in peace Gary.

Clay James

Well said Clay.

Rest easy Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:12 am 

Just got back from the CAF site. Not being in "the know" I found that the tribute to Gary explains in a few well chosen words issues that he was dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:27 am 

bdk wrote:

RIP Gary.

This isn't strictly a problem Gary had either, and is probably more widespread than most imagine, even on the WIX. Let's also remember our old friend Mick now, who also succumbed to a similar demon, leaving behind a wife and young child:

bdk,

One of Doc's caretakers. Quiet competance. IA A&P. God Bless Gary, Mick, and Scott. Let's remember them in our prayers.
http://www.b-29doc.com/images/Volunteer ... 201999.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:35 am 

Blue Skies Gary.

You can rest now Bud.

Peace.

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:37 am 

I have just found out about this sad news and read through all the posts... I still can't beleive it and I'm in shock too... :cry:

Like many others, I only knew Gary by reading his posts and asking a few dumb questions, which he always answered like the gentleman he was.

I am amazed at shedding tears for someone I knew so little and only through this forum. But Gary impressed me a lot, not only by his knowledge but also by his passion and the way he treated people here. He also gave me the will to pursue the restoration of my little bird. He will be my inspiration forever.

I, like everybody here, will miss him.

My sympathy goes to everyone who had the privilege to know him personally and to his family of course.

Godspeed and rest in peace my friend.

Post subject:

For those of us that suffer it, depression can be deep, dark demon that we fight every hour of every day. It is extremely difficult for anyone outside of it to understand, it is a medical condition that nobody around us is at fault for. Sometimes the battle is won, sometimes it is not. I am truly sad that Gary has lost his. A great talent is no longer with us.
It is tragic that many of the truly gifted suffer from this.

Post subject:

I only knew Gary through PMs and his work on Ol 927. This is the first I have heard of his tragic death. I am saddened to hear this and I am tearing up. I never got to meet Gary when I went to Airsho 04 but I wish I did. When I see Ol 927 this weekend it will be hard but I hope Gary is happy where he is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am 

michaelharadon wrote:
Just got back from the CAF site. Not being in "the know" I found that the tribute to Gary explains in a few well chosen words issues that he was dealing with.

I think the CAF page is very nicely done. Hope it becomes a permanent part of the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gods speed Gary, we will all miss you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:48 am 

I met and chatted briefly with Gary at OSH a few years back. He was a true gentleman. You will be missed, Gary. God speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very sad! Condolences to the family and the rest of the WIX family.

Godspeed Gary.

http://www.390th.org/
www.LSFM.org

Trae

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next