Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 pm 

I was able to grab the video with RealPlayer, in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Didn't even know him, but I miss him....
:cry:
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 pm 

I Love it and will make sure it will appear in his memorial. The thought of donations coming in for these great airplanes is also an inspiration to his legacy. I can only tell you that they will be a memoral to the man that gave me the inspiration to do what I will do! I will finish what he started and will get the worlds only flyable B-29 "FIFI" back in the sky's where she belongs!!!
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Before too many people get ahead of themselves, I will gladly make the EAA Timeless Voices interview with Gary available for download, but I need to modify the file before I can do so. Please do not download the file now. Thanks much!

Zack
EAA Timeless Voices Program Coordinator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 pm 

On what was probably the last time Gary and I spoke to each other face to face, he insulted me.

He called me old.

He called me fat.

I had met and spoken with Gary on quite a few occasions, at Midland, various air shows and on the phone. I wouldn’t say we were friends, more like acquaintances.

Gary was on a visit to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum and he and I had been driving around the ramp and the taxiway in the Sherman tank. We were sitting in the turret of the tank after our little joy-ride, and were just generally discussing a variety of topics (ironically not much was about aircraft, it was more about family, street rods, dogs, building things, travel, etc) when all of a sudden he looked me straight in the eye and in a very serious voice, asked me something similar to the following:

“If we had an emergency now, surrounded by compressed air, propane and oxygen bottles, how fast could you get your old, fat, British ass out of the big hatch above you?”

Before I realized I had just been insulted, I responded with just one word “Why?”

He immediately responded “Because you’re between me and the only escape hatch big enough for me to get my fat ass out of!”

Typical Gary, always thinking safety!

At first I was dumbfounded, but then I saw the twinkle in his eye. It was at that moment, when we sat there laughing, that I felt honored. We had gone from being acquaintances to being friends.

We stayed in the turret talking for over an hour. It is just a short time, but a time I will always remember.

I would like to say a big thank you to Brad and Steve for the beautiful tributes and insight you gave us regarding Gary, and my heartfelt sympathies go out to you both for the loss of your good friend.

And to Gary I say,

God speed Mr. Austin.

Julian Banks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Zachary wrote:
Before too many people get ahead of themselves, I will gladly make the EAA Timeless Voices interview with Gary available for download, but I need to modify the file before I can do so. Please do not download the file now. Thanks much!

Zack
EAA Timeless Voices Program Coordinator

Thanks Zack!

Post subject: Gary's memorial
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:46 pm 

I have PM'd two folks, but haven't received a reply as of yet. So I am pleading to anyone that can help. I have purchased airfare to fly from
MEM on thursday for Gary's memorial and am needing help with accomidations. Is there a hotel, reasonably priced, close to the CAF? The airfare broke the bank, so am trying to get by without rental car too.

Gary was the one who would normally do this for me, so I am lost without him. I miss him so much and couldn't miss this for anything in the world, but I feel vulnerable coming alone, as hubby is staying behind with the kiddos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! A friend of his is surely a friend of mine.

Post subject: Gary's memorial
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:47 pm 

I have PM'd two folks, but haven't received a reply as of yet. So I am pleading to anyone that can help. I have purchased airfare to fly from
MEM on thursday for Gary's memorial and am needing help with accomidations. Is there a hotel, reasonably priced, close to the CAF? The airfare broke the bank, so am trying to get by without rental car too.

Gary was the one who would normally do this for me, so I am lost without him. I miss him so much and couldn't miss this for anything in the world, but I feel vulnerable coming alone, as hubby is staying behind with the kiddos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! A friend of his is surely a friend of mine.

Post subject: Re: Gary's memorial
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 pm 

danaraylene wrote:

There is a Best Western Airport Plaza Inn on the airport grounds.

Post subject: Re: Gary's memorial
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

danaraylene wrote:

Use the Airport Plaza, about $80. They have a courtesy van. Great aviation themed bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:41 am 

Been away so only just saw this thread and all the others about Gary. I only knew him by reputation, of course. Like Julian, I would have deemed it an honor to be referred to in terms like "your old British ass"!

So many pages of tributes and it reminds me of the words on the gravestone of a WW2 RAF pilot in a churchyard near here:

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:30 am 

Oh crap! I've been away too and this happens! :cry:
Gary's passing is a major loss to the warbird community. I will really miss his wit and vast experience that he shared here.
I do believe that Gary was also the CAF's greatest asset, as he certainly helped change my views on the CAF with his B29 and B24 threads. I am truly pleased that he managed to help the various Squadrons take a deeper and more critical look at the aeroplanes in their care and instill a greater culture of safety.
I have read every page of this thread and shed the odd tear. It's has been both heartening and a little sad to see so many familiar people post who haven't posted for a long time...
I would also like to thank Brad for his poignant post and the EAA Timeless Voices people for sitting Gary down and recording some of his experiences for posterity.
I am not a religious man, but I hope Gary is at peace now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:26 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Danaraylene, PM sent.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As a youngster, I assumed that most people in aviation would be just alike. Looking back, how wrong I was. Although I only knew Gary on WIX, I sensed that he was one of those rare, one in a hundred guys who I would have really enjoyed, respected, and found friendship with.

I waited several days to post something mainly because I couldn't find any words beyond what has already been so well expressed by the folks on this thread. I'm still at a loss but I wanted to thank Gary for being such a great influence in aviation and express my most sincere condolonces to his his family and friends.

I'm sad not just for the loss of a great guy to a terrible disease, but selfishly for the loss of the talent and mentoring I was looking forward to enjoying for years to come. I'm also saddend by the reminder of just how fragile this life is and how, given different circumstances, similar tragedy could occur closer to home.

I salute you, Gary Austin, fly safe.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Needle, I can just imagine Gary's big-eyed chipmunk grin when he asked how fast you could get out of the Sherman. I knew him originally from WIX but spent a day with him in the Midland area a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed just hanging out with him.
For me, grief and loss are first numb shock. I finally let loose and dealt with it Saturday at WOH when 0046 taxiied past and I saw Brad's tribute on the nose.

fly safe,
Doug Ratchford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:53 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Julian -

Just for you buddy. If you want the full images, lemme know and I'll send them to ya.

I'm going to post a few more over in the "Gary in Pictures" thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next