Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Blue Sky RIP peace Gary......

Speech less & simply no words......

I'll also have to echo....the best friend I never meet.

ALWAYS a positive man in every aspect and the nicest to ALL in all cases..........

Sorry to hear & so so so sad.

Michel Lemieux

Last edited by Michel Lemieux on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I'm a little speechless right now. Gary was a friend and wonderful person. He will be missed.

I have created a post in the Gone West section for pictures and stories of Gary, please feel free to post any pictures or stories of Gary that you would like to share.

Gary Austin Memorial Thread

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Last edited by Scott Rose on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've never met Gary, but somehow reading his posts could always make me smile. I'm in tears right now. Can't believe a good guy like him isn't around anymore.
He was what got me hooked on WIX. One of those guys who is in the business for the fun and not for the money. Full of passion about these old relics we love so much. I too have a piece of ol'927 that he send me.
I like the idea's of a book about his ol'927 work. I'd sure buy it! Also like the idea of stickers of his Retro Aviation logo to remember him. Would like one to put on my Fouga.
Don't really know what to say right now. Gary, I hope you feel better up there soaring the blue skies. You will be missed :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 am 

Very sad.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:59 am 

I too never met him, wish I had. god speed Gary. I for one would be honored to buy a t-shirt and a book if someone gets them available. Also, if ANYONE out there starts feeling this way PM one of us, someone will be here willing to help, we don't need anyone else leaving us if we can help it.
JOHN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

:cry: * heavy sigh * :cry:

I've read every post in this thread so far, and like everyone else here, I'm really having a hard time wrapping my brain around this tragedy.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Gary in person, but we did exchange PMs a few times. I enjoyed the heck out of his postings here on the board. I learned a lot from his technical discussions, how-to's, and photos. I enjoyed his wry sense of humour. I continue to be moved and inspired by his dedication to the preservation of aviation history and his dedication to aviation safety.

Gary touched so many of us in so many ways. If the measure of a man is in how he touches others, then Gary was a big, big man.

Gary, I hope that somehow you'll find a way to reach out from the spirit world and continue to teach, guide, and inspire us. We need you.

With a heavy heart and tears in my eyes. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

When I heard about it yesterday I became very angry at Gary for not seeking help from one of us, I'm over that now. I his depressed mind, what he did was the correct and only thing to do. Back in September I was able to thank him for the work he did on the B-24 and B-29. We will surely miss his incredible talent....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just woke up not too long ago. I gotta say I tossed and turned a lot last night. Every time I woke up (8 or 10 times) Gary was on my mind and I was thinking I just had a bad dream. But then reality sets in and I keep asking myself, "Is Gary really gone'??. :( That it hard to take for me. Its really hard to believe even though I have reread this thread a dozen times it sets in but then again its almost to sad to be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:23 am 

i didn't really know you could make freinds on the internet, but now i know you can. we have lost a freind. blue skys Gary, you WILL be missed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I just opened WIX, & learned of the loss of Gary. I am absolutely in shock. As Jack said earlier I to fell like I have lost a friend I never actually met. I felt like Gary had some things going on. We had P.M.ed several times, but he never would be specific about what all he had going on. Almost seemed like Gary didn't want us to worry about him.
I always looked forward to Gary's posts. He had a way explaining things to us that almost was like sitting in a class (Ole 927 Thread). His talent was an inspiration to me, (& Ive been an A&P for 30 years).
WIX will not be the same without him. We should never forget him, & his contributions. I am so sorry he felt this was his only choice of overcoming his problems.
Gary, I hope you are in a better place buddy. I regret I never got to meet you face to face. You will be missed. RIP.
I extend my most sincere condolences to Gary's friends I family.
I hope this post made some sense, I have not been this upset in a long time.
Regards
Robbie Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am 

Last month I sat down and went thru the entire Diamond Lil/Ol 927 thread from beginning to end. I had browsed WIX for awhile but had never registered/joined until that thread. What a joy watching that old bird morph into what it was originally designed for and Gary kept us on the edge with his lack of rest and dedication. For him to allow us a vicarious relationship with that project was an old warbird fan's total delight. I joined and I don't post a lot, but like most, I have to have my WIX fix and Gary was a big part of that. I will feel empty all day today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 am 

I just can't believe he is gone. I never met the man in person but feel I know him personally through all his great posts. For what ever reason I hope he finds peace. All of us will never forget him.
Blue skies friend
Tom R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 am 

like everyone here i'm gutted and in tears for a man i never met or knew and barely comunicated with but i read every post with his name very night and most of the time had a great chuckle.
gary you will be missed,even by those on the other side of the world.
my condolances to his family and friends.
paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:24 am 

May Gary's family and friends find peace through this tough loss. Gary was a real gentleman and his use of "Y'all" will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:27 am 

I echo the sentiments of many in saying I feel like I have lost a friend I never met.

Words can never describe what a loss like this feels like. There is no closure on a loss like this, as the hole that is left in so many lives, will never be adequately filled again.

I had traded some PMs with Gary and his prompt and detailed answers to my questions were always welcomed.

I just don't know what to say other than to send my deepest repects and sympathies to all of his friends and family.Our collective world is a poorer place for his loss.

Gentle landings Gary. You will be missed, but never forgotten!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next