Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Gary Austin Fly Safe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:04 pm 

Well, if you think about it, he was a guy we e-talked to every few days or so...maybe not directly, but we certainly heard his thoughts or words that often. We got to glimpse his humor (if that lightbulb thread every goes away, I'm gonna cry), his talent, his dreams, and his amazing acomplishments...just like we would a real-life best friend.

Perhaps some of you have read about the goalkeeper for the German National Team (soccer) who recently took his own life after losing the same battle Gary fought. These two men have realized that the word 'depression' is far more sinister than I ever would have thought.

Joe Strummer, 1999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:05 am 

On July 23, 1977 Gary took me for a ride in his PT-17, my first in an open cockpit biplane. His friendliness and willingness to share his aircraft and love for flying has remained a high point in my life for the past 33 years. To hear of this loss is beyond belief.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 am 

Hello to all. I realize the last post on this forum was over two years ago but hoping there are still people on board that could possibly help. It's is unfortunate Gary Austin is not still around. Never met him but after reading his posts he seemed the genuine man. I hoping someone either knows somebody or has some information on Gary's plane he was building, "Another Solution". About three months ago my brother and I purchased "Another Solution" from Hep Porter in Minden Nevada. We have been working on the plane in Chico California pushing to have it ready to race Reno 2014. We are combining the classic look of the Shoestring elliptical wing and tail with the sleek and fast looking profile of the Snoshoo cowlings. We are trying to keep this plane alive and hope to see her flying in another 4-5 months given everything works according to plan. I know Gary's blog is still out there with his build on this plane but it lacks pictures and I would really like to view some of them and also include them in our display for Reno. The build is being followed by many on Facebook, search Race 79 No Strings Attached. Look forward to any feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 am 

Race 70....this was one of my worst days of my life....but i'm glad #79 has another chance at life(and some how i hope Gary is looking down) good luck with her...and now i follow you on facebook!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've never felt such a deep sense of loss, for someone whom I had never met.
I think of you often Gary!

Unfortunately, most of the photos Gary posted, disappeared when his Photobucket account expired.

Best of luck to race 79!

WIXers will be rootin' for you :drink3:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 am 

Race79, I contacted Photobucket after Gary's death, and spoke to a supervisor about trying to reactivate his account. I explained the situation, and that so much of his work had been documented in the account. I told them that I'd like to either pay for reactivating his account, or somehow move/duplicate everything to mine.

Unfortunately, they had no way to find it.

Still ticks me off that I didn't think of it sooner.

Joe Strummer, 1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Brad was Gary's executor and paid out of his own pocket to maintain the photobucket account (s).
For some reason they were deleted anyway and Brad contacted them since he had control of Gary's stuff but they were gone forever. All his photos are in NZ now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jack Cook wrote:
All his photos are in NZ now

Except the one's he sent me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The account was somehow deleted with no record of it ever existing even after I paid to keep it going. They never did have an excuse or reason for it. I had digital or hard copies of all of his pictures. All of it now belongs to Classic Wings Magazine in New Zealand because I thought that would be a suitable home for them and I figured he'd be happy with that decision. I know Gary sent a lot of his pictures to people and that's fine. But I also know that an even larger number of people copied them from here or off of photobucket. Those are not yours to use without the permission of Classics Wings. I still see them pop up from time to time in other places.

Edited to add: I tried for a long time and many different ways to recover the photobucket account. It just couldn't be done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Brad,
Myself and a lot of others know not only how much you did for Gary during his life
but also and especially so afterwards. It was a huge and stressful undertaking
the handling of his affairs and you did it all without question or hesitation.
But, it took a lot out of you both financially and personally. That's not forgotten!!
Just saying.........................
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Brad the only photos I have are several Gary sent me regarding the CAF's Hellcat and a few others mainly directed towards me and what I had an interest in at the time. Nothing I have would really matter or mean much to anyone else I'm assuming (I could be wrong though). But if you or anyone else feels I should return them to someone somewhere just ask away (PM would work fine) and I'll be happy to send them back. Gary and I chatted a few times on the phone and via e-mail. Can't say we were tight friends in anyway, but I can say this. Of the many, many, many people I have met over the years in whatever capacity that was, Gary was a true pleasure to talk to, a class act and someone I would have (should have) gone out to meet.

Gary had his demons and his mistakes, just like ALL of us have in life, but the true gentleman he was and the great heart that Gary possessed was very much apparent to me in just one simple phone call. He was a person that deserved more in life than what he got. He earned his reputation in the warbird community, the CAF and elsewhere in life, but it was his friendship that many of us received as a gift and was something, at least to me, to cherish. Of those of us who had the pleasure to meet Gary, I'm convinced there are several who still feel a sense of regret and remorse for not seeing the signs of someone that perhaps needed just a little bit more time to listen to. We can second guess ourselves for as long as we still grieve that we didn't do more to help a friend in need. There's no answers for any of that, there never will be.

Gary came across to me as someone who couldn't and wouldn't ask for help from anyone regardless of what it may be and that became tragically obvious. He seemed to possess a strong will not to bother anyone with his demons which is something many of us live with as well. Gary became the victim of his own honor and class. If I only knew what I know today, there wouldn't have been a flight that would have prevented me from getting there or him here. He earned at least that effort from me.

These last few paragraphs are of my own thoughts towards Gary's memory and certainly not intended to offend anyone closer to him or to claim I knew Gary well enough to state them as fact. The only fact I can state with certainty is that he is still very much missed by those who knew him well and those of us who only got a small glimpse at a man of honor.

Anyone here who is ever in need of someone to talk to. I'm one of many here who will be there if you like, you can count on that.
Brad your a class act as well. Jack summed it up nicely and we all could only wish we had a friend such as yourself. Your friends and family have much to be proud of.

I suppose I should shut up now and go post some photos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary was an amazing person and he will live on in our memories forever. Great to see his plane will fly!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm 

Mark and Jack beautifully said...i never met Gary and only exchanged a few minor pm's but i followed him on here and warbird aeropress and AAFO and his skills with tools and words of encouragement to others are something I'll never forget.

as i said before i'm really happy to see race #79 being given a chance to shine again,i followed Gary's build and tried to find out what happened after he sold it,so this is great news to me....all the best with "no strings attached" race 79!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Never met the man and had only occasional correspondence but will never forget where I was standing when I first read this subject header. RIP. Glad you are finishing up his bird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23