Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Midwest Texans
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 pm 

I thought it was best to get ahead of the inevitable warbird rumor mill and let everyone know that I have closed Midwest Texans.

We had a great run, and built some neat airplanes. Unfortunately, along the way we had our share of mistakes and miscalculations. A lot of long-time professionals in this business said our business plan wouldn't work, and I am man enough to acknowledge that they were right.

I want to emphasize that I have the utmost respect for the guys that put their heart and soul in MWT. Our shutdown is no reflection on their work and they put in an incredible effort to get our last project out the door for OSH.

The plan failed based on a lack of positive cash flow and my need to return to my primary business when the recession started. I couldn't be in two places at one time, and still be a good father to my son, which is my greatest priority.

Hopefully the projects we have started at MWT will find good homes for their completion and we are in discussion with a number of shops to complete the projects underway. I hope that someone picks up the ball and continues the major structural rebuilds and component replacement for the airplane that we started...for the good of the T-6 fleet.

As many of you know we have a signficant amount of spares holdings and we will be hosting an auction in the coming weeks. In the meantime if you are looking for anything in particular, feel to contact me via PM and I will let you know if we have it.

Finally, since I know it will be the next question, the plan is for Warbird Digest to continue and the latest issue should go to press shortly.

Thanks for all that have supported me in the grand dream that I had that resulted in MWT.

Best Wishes.

Post subject: Re: Midwest Texans
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tim Savage wrote:
I couldn't be in two places at one time, and still be a good father to my son, which is my greatest priority.

Definitely the right priority. Maybe someday he'll be able to work with you in a new venture!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm 

GOOD LUCK tim, and all the best in what ever you do.

Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Tim,
I think you just demonstrated why you're a postive factor in the warbird movement :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sorry to hear the bad news Tim. I wish you the best in your other endeavors.
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

MWT did a great job, not only on the airplanes y'all built, Tim, but in the improvements in some of the parts y'all manufactured. Hopefully MWT will be used as a great example of how the modern day restoration of the venerable T-6 should be done.

Good luck in your continuing adventures with Warbird Digest and your boy. :-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:15 pm 

Good luck to you and all your team members Tim.

Bela P. Havasreti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 pm 

Hi Tim,
Sorry to hear of the demise of MWT. Your restorations are the best. I'm still trying to convince myself that I can't do it all. It's OK to fail, we all do. You are admired for your honesty. Your priorities are in the right place, with your son. Looking forward to the next issue..........Sincerely, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sorry to hear & best of luck in your entreprises sir.....where ever may they lead you.

The important thing is...you did follow your dream. And who knows...one day....one day.

Last edited by Michel Lemieux on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You produced art! Wish I were in a position to own one of your "works". My best to you and your son going forward. Cherish your days with him, they come only once. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sorry to hear about the untimely demise of MWT. Tim, thank you for your contributions to the warbird world, both through MWT, Warbird Digest, and your support of all things warbird. I wish you the best in whatever you do.

Good decision on your part - family should always come first. You can never get back that precious family time.

Question - was the lack of positive cash flow strictly a result of the economy or do you think you would have been hard-pressed to survive in a good economy as well?

I'll bet if you're looking for a buyer for all of your surplus goods that Lance Aircraft would probably make you a good offer on all the T-6 stuff. Have you contacted them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 pm 

Tim,
Where would we be without our dreams? You and I are very lucky we have the opportunity to pursue those dreams to the extent we wish. You don’t know this but I owned a software company and was the coder. The day I bought the T-28 project (Feb 99) I walked away from computer programming (VC++ and VB) stone cold. I never looked back. Hate computers.

Hang in there, enjoy the new bride, and especially your son.
I completely relate to the priorities of family. My almost 3 year old girl and 3 month old boy are everything to me. I'd sell it all for them if I had to.

Contact me when you are ready.

Chuck Wahl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 am 

Sorry to hear that Tim. You have the right idea though. If you can't do something all out, then it's time to move on. Making the decision for your sons best interest is definitely the right thing to do. You can always start a new business but you only get one chance at raising your kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:54 am 

Tim good on you for having a go.

The warbird world has secured a few nice machines from MWT of which you and the team should be proud.

Business is never easy and it takes courage to change direction.

Best of luck in your future endeavours from Down Under,,,,,

,,,,,,,and remember defeat is never an option!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 pm 

Starman has posted the information on the Midwest Texans' auction on their site.

http://www.starmanauctions.com/upcomingauctions.htm