Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:53 am

LMAO!!! Now that would be different!!

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:14 pm

m charters wrote:
It has been told to us that that extended greenhouse variant actually had the turret seat still that turned on the track for the observer with the bulk of the gun mounting removed.

Mike,

That is 100% correct. You can see in a few pictures on these two pages, where the turret ring is still in place:

http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/avenger_radio_compass%20indicator_b.jpg

http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/avenger_equipment_details.html

Any Avenger that is flying is a huge plus to the warbird community.

I agree 100%. If all goes well I hope to make it up this winter to see the new TBM.

Jim

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:01 pm

thanks Jim, i will make sure Jim sees this information. Some good info their.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm

If I remember correctly, the TBM that I'm helping to restore came from the same source. It was a former CFL, Tanker #18, and was purchased from the Frenchman. The TBM (White 14) at MAAM was also accuired from the same source.
For the most part, we found that after stripping the paint the Aluminum is in excellent condition, with a few minor issues. You'll find that the original primer from the factory is still present. Hope you enjoy stripping out all the old Firebomber equipment, tanks, hydraulic lines.
Don't allow guys to come in and strip the paint from the prop with a Bead Blaster, that's the reason why ours has to be overhauled.
I'll keep my rants to a minimum, but it's great to see that a sistership of the TBM that I'm helping to restore is going to be restored as well.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm

I think the museums job will get a bit easier as the tank will be pulled before it arrives in Hamilton.
Prelim by one of the staff engineers has the aircraft looking in pretty good condition.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Hmmm.

m charters wrote:Any Avenger that is flying is a huge plus to the warbird community.

Indeed it is 'a good thing'. Let's not get over-balanced in favour of the common though.

The CWH adding an Avenger to the collection is a tier down in rarity from unique airworthy types in N America such as the Lancaster and Lysander, nor even as rare as the Firefly. Certainly I'd rather see effort expended more on getting the Bollingbroke flying - as an aircraft of vastly greater significance to Canadian aviation history. We are not going to run out of Turkycats any time soon nor Turkycat projects, and while a Canadian example will have some 'difference' mileage, but nothing compared to the other types nominated above - and as seen recently at Osh.

That's in no way to say the CWH shouldn't be undertaking the this project, and, again it is 'a good thing' but personally I'd like more resources on the Bolly now the Lysander's flying, and I've supported my opinion with the rationale above - YMMV. Of course, it's not my collection. ;)

Regards,

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:55 pm

I see where you're coming from, but while Avenger's may not be super rare, I don't know of too many flying around in RCN markings, (for all I know there could be many, I just don't know them). Also, it's part of CWH's heritage, finally starting to get some of the aircraft lost in the fire back in the collection! Can't wait, hope to get my hands dirty on it.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:06 am

Greg87 wrote:I see where you're coming from, but while Avenger's may not be super rare, I don't know of too many flying around in RCN markings, (for all I know there could be many, I just don't know them). Also, it's part of CWH's heritage, finally starting to get some of the aircraft lost in the fire back in the collection!

Oh, sure there's plenty of good reasons for, they just don't stack against the rarer.
Can't wait, hope to get my hands dirty on it.

It'll be easier to work on than a Bristol design... ;)

Work safe!

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:39 pm

JDK, i will endeavor to keep regular updates on the Boly.

I recently volunteered to get involved on that crew to see if i can lend my years as an AME to help with the project.

There is a fantastic crew of volunteers, Walt, Manny, Bruce, Ray, Wayne, Ron and many others (sorry if i don't know everyone) who are dedicating a lot of extra time on the aircraft to get the center section spars completed so we can mate up the fuselage.

We have an ambitious goal to mate the center section and the fuselage by the end of the year, but at the very least it will be together and on its gears early in 2010!

I will keep you updated, and give a full update with photos soon.

The biggest issue for all projects in any organization is funding, but money and time and a dedicated group of volunteers will have the Bolingbroke flying in Canada in the future.

TBMs in Canada

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Excuse me. Someone wants another Bolingbroke.
Canadian aviation history.
The Avenger made Canadian Naval Aviation and we need a flyer going around the country promoting that.
By the way, there is an Avenger in R.C.N. colors at the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta as well as the one at Shearwater.

If you want to read about the sprayers and water bombers in New Brunswick, Canada then type Sevogle Times into your search engine.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 pm

m charters wrote:JDK, i will endeavor to keep regular updates on the Boly.

Well done that man!

Re: Latest acquisition by Canadian Warplane Heritage

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Cdn. Warplane Heritage wrote:The latest acquisition by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is a Grumman TBM-3E Avenger, #53858, ex-FPL C-GFPR. The TBM was acquired with the assistance of a generous donor from Didier Chable from France. An exchange of surplus CWH Bolingbroke parts were also part of the deal. Museum staff and volunteers are heading to Fredericton, New Brunswick next week to disassemble the aircraft for transportation by road back to Mount Hope, Ontario.

Great news, now all thy need is a Hurrican and that dark day back in the 90's can be erased from memory.

Any word on if the TBM is in Hamilton yet?

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Have heard likely some time this week. As early as tomorrow!
I am sure Al will let everyone know with a posting once it arrives.
Post a reply