Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm 

Saw the discussions on this aircraft. Heres some information on it for anyone interested. My involvement with this aircraft was when i found it in the everglades around 1987. It was in rough shape at the time and hadnt been lived in for years. The park ranfger I talked to aboput it had told me that they planned on building a game station on the site where the aircraft was located. The rangers had contacted scrap metal dealers in Naples and Ft Lauderdale but none thought it was worth coming out to get it for the price of the scrap metal. The ranger told me they planned on just burning it down so they could just have the remnants hauled off. Burn it down? I couldnt believe it, something had to be done. At the time I was the president of Yesterdays Air Force and Museum in Clearwater Florida. A buddy who was with me and I got the rangers business card, loaded the throttle quadrant into the back of his truck and headed back to Tampa. We were pulled over by a guy who happened to be driving past on the road, it was jay Wisler. He guessed exactly what we had found. Thus began the plan to recover the aircraft. I called back and told the ranger they couldnt burn it. If was can get it moved, could we have it for the museum? He said sure, it would save them a lot of work. We spent several weekends getting the thing out and onto a semi truck trailer. We moved it to the museum in Clearwater. It wasnt long until I got a call from the state of Florida and was told that I had removed an artifact from state property. I explained that I had permission from the park ranger and gave them his name. I also explained that if we hadnt gotten the aircraft out, it would have been burnt to the ground. Finally, the state relented and placed the aircraft on loan to the museum. later, we arranged a deal, Jay Wisler agreed to trade an AT-11 for the fuselage and they agreed. The state made out great with a potentially airworthy aircraft for the fuselage. This is how Jay became the owner of the aircraft. The fuselage was then sold to Tom Riley who later sold it again. Anyway thats how it was rescued from a fiery demise. I will post an article about the family living in the fuselage and pictures of it when we found it if I can figure out how.
Denny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I saw that when it was up against the entrance to the old Flying Tigers museum in the 90s. Thanks for the back story, I'd always wondered where it'd come from, could tell right away what it'd been.
Until I read this thread, I had no idea it was used for the Hill museum B-24, I saw that bird on our cross-country sightseeing trip two years ago. So cool, I've seen that twice!

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

FWIW....I did some inquiring.....BuNo 59932 was not a Coast Guard plane.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

tenacious101010 wrote:
Jay Wisler agreed to trade an AT-11 for the fuselage and they agreed. The state made out great with a potentially airworthy aircraft for the fuselage.

Wonder what the State of Florida did with the AT-11? (Please don't say "Hauled it out to the Everglades and burned it!" :axe: )

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 pm 

tenacious101010, whatever became of the throttle quadrant pedestal? Does your friend still have it, or do you know where it went?

- Robert in PHX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

tenacious101010 wrote:
Saw the discussions on this aircraft. Heres some information on it for anyone interested. My involvement with this aircraft was when i found it in the everglades around 1987. It was in rough shape at the time and hadnt been lived in for years. The park ranfger I talked to aboput it had told me that they planned on building a game station on the site where the aircraft was located. The rangers had contacted scrap metal dealers in Naples and Ft Lauderdale but none thought it was worth coming out to get it for the price of the scrap metal. The ranger told me they planned on just burning it down so they could just have the remnants hauled off. Burn it down? I couldnt believe it, something had to be done. At the time I was the president of Yesterdays Air Force and Museum in Clearwater Florida. A buddy who was with me and I got the rangers business card, loaded the throttle quadrant into the back of his truck and headed back to Tampa. We were pulled over by a guy who happened to be driving past on the road, it was jay Wisler. He guessed exactly what we had found. Thus began the plan to recover the aircraft. I called back and told the ranger they couldnt burn it. If was can get it moved, could we have it for the museum? He said sure, it would save them a lot of work. We spent several weekends getting the thing out and onto a semi truck trailer. We moved it to the museum in Clearwater. It wasnt long until I got a call from the state of Florida and was told that I had removed an artifact from state property. I explained that I had permission from the park ranger and gave them his name. I also explained that if we hadnt gotten the aircraft out, it would have been burnt to the ground. Finally, the state relented and placed the aircraft on loan to the museum. later, we arranged a deal, Jay Wisler agreed to trade an AT-11 for the fuselage and they agreed. The state made out great with a potentially airworthy aircraft for the fuselage. This is how Jay became the owner of the aircraft. The fuselage was then sold to Tom Riley who later sold it again. Anyway thats how it was rescued from a fiery demise. I will post an article about the family living in the fuselage and pictures of it when we found it if I can figure out how.
Denny

Thanks for posting that Tenacious! I hope you can figure out how to post the article...tho I believe I've seen it before, I'm sure others haven't.

A few years ago you posted on another PB4Y discussion with a personal photo link, IIRC. In that link you had some nice original photos from the Panama Canal Zone circa 1927-30ish. If those are still available I believe some folks would enjoy those in their own discussion thread as well.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:54 pm 

PB4Y-2 BuNo 55932 Was based at NAS Miami I have an aircrew members logbook with this aircraft listed. It was possibly used for Hurricane Hunting.
When I was at G.T. Baker Aviation school in the late 60's and early 70's this aircraft along with the XA-26F were airframes located at the school. The school wanted more modern aircraft and got rid of both these aircraft. I was one of the people who took apart both of these aircraft The PB4Y-2 Fuselage was taken to the Everglades to be used as a shed and the XA-26 was destroyed.

Mark Fidler

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

ACarey wrote:
Well, if truth be told, I'm presently living inside a B-32 in the Okefenokee Swamp. My grandpappy bought it 1946 since it was cheaper than an Airstream. I was hoping the Privateer was still around so I could add a bedroom.

I don't believe your story. The sole remaining B-32 is on the moon. I know, I read it in The Enquirer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:31 pm 

Here is the PB4Y-2 fuselage at Clearwater Airport.

Mark Fidler