Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If there is such a thing as a WIX award for best thread, IMHO this one should get it.

Excellent idea, and I am sure that lots and lots of people will have fond memories of their Oshkosh visit because of this.

Now, are those T-shirts for sale?

:D

Saludos!

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:43 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The photos of the Dirty Bird remind me of 5 Grand as the factory employees autographed her. Very cool idea, and one the kiddos will likely remember for a long, long time.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Taigh, congrats on the award. Looks like everyone had a great time with the paint. Thanks for the laugh, I sure needed it. :D
Robbie 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for all of the kind comments. It was a great event and I think our artists had as much fun as we did.

There were several kids who pitched a great fit when their parents tried to pull them away from their art project. Some folks even set up camp near by and stayed for hours while they painted away.

Just hearing the wonderful comments from everyone at OSH made the whole thing worth while. Too bad it will only last until the next big rain.

Yes, we do have some shirts left that are available. We were selling them for $20 at OSH but how about $17 plus postage as a WIX special?

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Awesome job Taigh!
Great idea and what a wonderful experience for everyone who painted anything on the Beech!

Everyone is so use to "Do Not Touch" that it's refreshing to have something TO touch!

I vote for painting it white and having the "Dirty Bird Express" make a return to OSH! Bob Ross would've loved it!

I'd like a shirt too! Where should we send the check?

Blue skies,
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
Everyone is so use to "Do Not Touch" that it's refreshing to have something TO touch!

There, somebody finally hit it right on the head! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:26 pm 

Larry Kraus wrote:
And I though that one of Express Airways' old Beeches had an interesting paint job.This picture is from their Sanford,Florida home base in 1983,or thereabouts.It's a little hard to read in the picture,but under "Sanford and Son" it says "Aerospace Division".

Larry,

I have an almost identical shot I took of that aircraft about a year prior. If I recall the guy that owned those birds used them on a DoD contract to haul dynamite and grenades. I think his name was Harry or Larry. Something like that. In that same line he had a few Tradewind Tprop birds and some single tail ships also. A real potpourri. At the time I stopped by (which I would have to place around '81 or '82) he also had a Connie parked out there. I forget what model though. He was a real piece of work...

The H-19/S-55s were owned by Sanford Helicopters if I recall. I was going to school in Daytona and working for Harry Doan at the time. Sanford was doing H-19s/S-55s and Doan was doing H-34s/S-58s. There was some business relationship for a while and then I think Doan split the sheets. Man, Doan was a story all by himself... Glory days!

I gotta get a Twin Beech!

Great job Taigh!

Vintage Aircraft Services
Aircraft restoration and rebuilding
Rhome, TX

http://www.vintageaircraftservices.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:09 am 

Sorry to hijack Taigh's thread... but...

Found my picture last night. My buddy Gary and I were goofing around at Sanford. I was working on a technical paper for a college class. Timeframe had to be 1982 as best as I can surmise. I decided to do it on D-18 spar problems so over to Sanford we went. The Bardstown Bomber was N34M. It was also missing it's horizontal stab, etc. Doesn't show active any more. May have succumbed to the scrapper. The operators name on the hangar was Florida Aircraft. The Tradewind/Volpar birds were ex-Nevada Airlines birds.

Back to you Taigh...

Rhome, TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 am 

Correction, The bomber was N84M... FAA shows it as coming out of Mojave back in '77...

Rhome, TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

ProfromDover wrote:

Sorry to hijack Taigh's thread... but...

I didn't start the thread so you aren't hijacking my post. I love the Twin Beech shots, as far as I am concerned: keep 'em coming! I am a little biased about Twin Beech stuff :D

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And thanks for the photo post, Pro -- it's great to see! :D Also reminded me of Rhome, Texas, a place I haven't even thought about since 1975 or so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here is a shot that Speedy took, Speedy is the lead mechanic at my shop.

I think is the best photo that I have seen which sums up the whole event for us. It was the scads of kids, just like this little guy, that had a great time painting up the old Beech.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

Last edited by Taigh Ramey on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:15 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Now THAT is cool!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 pm 
Newly-minted T-6 Pilot

For what it's worth, I'll post some pics I took too!

Trey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm 

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh not more shark mouth paintwork!! lol. Love the whitewall tires! A great idea and something everyone will remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next