Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all

came accross this photo taken with a pocket camera in 1983 during an orientation flight in an UH-1 from Goose Bay.... appears to be a Douglas A-20.... is she still out there ? - this photo is all I have - :roll:

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

if so, it doesn't look to bad!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tom d. friedman wrote:
if so, it doesn't look to bad!!!

I didn't look too bad 25 years ago either... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I know there's an A-20 way up in Northern Quebec or Newfoundland. Let me try and find it. This might be an entirely different plane though. That would be exciting! I'll get back to you guys.

Cheers,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, I did some old fashioned googling and came across this:

39-745 YF-3 Havoc - Wrecked near St Charles, Quebec, Canada Oct 18, 1943

In my previous post I had mentioned a Newfoundland or Quebec crash site. As it turns out, I checked my facts and I was thinking of a B-26 that crashed up near Saglek Airport, Newfoundland. It's just a really beaten up wing section. Not really worth recovering, especially considering it's extreme location. I initially thought the airplane was called "Molly U," but on my google earth it is labelled as "Times A Wastin" which has a website describing it's crash: http://www.lswilson.ca/page8.htm

As for this A-20, what a find (or re-find) that would be.

I'll see what else I can find.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

taken by a guy who served with the German Air force back then and was on detached TDY at Goose Bay for a while -

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:41 am 
S/N Geek

TriangleP wrote:
Nothing on Aerial Visuals, is there anything that matches this location on Joe Baughers site? Anyone on Wreckchasers know about this? It must have been salvaged.

I would be happy to add it. Does anyone have an idea what the lat and lon is?

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
taken by a guy who served with the German Air force back then and was on detached TDY at Goose Bay for a while -

Martin

Being based at Goose Bay may not mean the wreck is in the immediate vicinity of that location?

http://www.warbird-central.com/american/bombers/A-20/A-20_serils.html

Quote:
33186 to RAF as Boston IIIA BZ385. Spun into ground after takeoff from
Goose Bay, Canada Mar 10, 1943.

Quote:
33049 to RAF as Boston IIIA BZ294. Crashed during attempted forced landing near Benton,
Canada during ferry flight Dec 8, 1942

regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:56 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

TriangleP wrote:
mrhenniger, the best image I've found for the Martin B-26 wing is on Google Maps, but I'm unable to find a latitude/longitude function on the site. It would be great if it were to be added to your website. Does Google provide lat/long info on their site? I can't find it if it does. See the Google Maps link below for verification. The wing is located on the North side of the runway between the lake and runway. Even in the satellite view it appears to be in very rough shape, but discernable as a wing.

Is this what you are referring to?

58°28'20.47"N 62°38'52.64"W

P.S. The link you pasted has the coordinates you can enter into Google Earth (58.478575,-62.64473)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 am 

Hello,

There definitely was a short article in Aeroplane monthly a few years ago about an A-20 wreck in Canada. Included in the article was a photo of the plane taken from the ground.

Laurent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:02 am 
S/N Geek

I have added the B-26. You can find the entry at...

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/LocationDos ... erial=7867

...Does anyone have any details like serial numbers, history, etc?

TriangleP wrote:
Oh, so thats what all those numbers are for. Thanks bdk! :D

You can also use any of the maps in the Locator (www.aerialvisuals.ca/Locator.php) to get coordinates. Just zoom into the area of interest, use the satellite image to help, then right click on the location.

Let me know if there are any leads on the A-20. I would be happy to include any crash site information in the Locator. I don't need to pinpoint them, just indicate a location in the area. I could keep the true coordinates hidden away to prevent souvenir hunting.

Anyway... I am very busy with the Locator researching formerly displayed aircraft. I recently received some KMZ data files with about 9000+ locations to check out. Even if 3/4 of them are already in the Locator, the Locator database is about to receive a big boost. It passed 3000 locations in the spring and 4000 only recently. With the recent data 5 grand is not too far off on the horizon. So you can see I won't be taking on crash sites as a sub-project any time soon, but if anyone has a database of crash site locations, or feels like doing that kind of research, I would be happy to include that data in the Locator.

Regards,

Mike Ross Henniger (alias mrhenniger)

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time, but I finally heard back from some people about the A-20 in question.

My letter was passed around to several people in the local community, then to the Air Force, then to someone else and someone else again. Then the lines went silent as the person I needed to get in touch with was busy or away for an extended period of time. Then about 6 months later I get an e-mail filling me in on just about everything to do with the project.

Here's the info I've got for you all:

A-20(F-3) Havoc 39-741

It crashed 122 km southwest of Goose Bay, Labrador, on
October 10, 1942

The UAS (Underwater Admiralty Sciences - and the same people that recovered the B-17 from Labrador) group gained all proper permissions to recovery the airframe and began dismantling it and removing sections with the help of the Canadian Armed Forces last summer and it sounds like they intend to recover the rest of her before the end of the summer of 2009.

As for what the intentions are with it and where it's going to end up... I don't really know. It mentions an 8-10 year restoration and maybe I missed it but I couldn't figure out wheter it was going to be displayed. That being said, a company in Seattle, WA has been contracted to do the restoration.

I've attached a little info sheet that Mark Allen sent me. This is all pretty exciting stuff, I'd say.

I've got some PDF's that Mark Allen sent me as well. I can forward them to whoever would like them. Just PM me and I'll e-mail them to you. They've got a little bit more in depth info on the recovery, and pictures of course.

Cheers,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Another one in from the cold, excellent news!

It just shows they are "still out there"!

A very rare example of a very rare but important breed, apparantly relatively intact and in relative good condition?

Do we know if it is intended to be a static or airworthy restoration? and who the eventual owner is?

David -

could I have an email of the pdf's pics etc to

mark_pilkington@hotmail.com

regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow, what a great ending! So, who is the new owner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am 

Hope it'll be restored as an F-3, there aren't many of those recon conversions left.