Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: LSFM PB4Y
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:34 am 

How far away are they from getting her airborne ??

I mean now that seem to be di-vesting themselves of some piece of the collection they should have funding right ? Please tell me if I am right or wrong here. Anyway,,,just wondering alound.

Paul

Post subject: Re: LSFM PB4Y
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Aircraft Mech Paul wrote:
How far away are they from getting her airborne ??

I mean now that seem to be di-vesting themselves of some piece of the collection they should have funding right ? Please tell me if I am right or wrong here. Anyway,,,just wondering alound.

Paul

I don't know if they are necessarily " di-vesting themselves of some piece of the collection". I had thought that the planes they sold - P-38, A-20, Bearcat, etc. were privately owned aircraft from Waltrip's collection and not owned by the LSFM. There would not be any new funding if that were the case. Can anyone clarify?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wasn't the F3F that Provest now has in CA was part of the official LSFM collection?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:57 am 

The proceeds from the sale of several museum assets were used to purchase the TF-51 that is in restoration now, as well as the Stearman used for the historic ride program.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:04 am 

Don't forget about that little weather incident that occured a few years ago which put several feet of sea water and a variety of forms of mud and much in the hanger.

They are still trying to recover and while on the surface it may seem all is back there is a still a lot of work to go. in just the last few weeks the part of the 2nd hanger was finally reopened and still Half of it is closed off. Sveral parts of the building are only now being repaired adn that is as funds allow.

The purachse of the Mustang will be a great addition and did come from the sale of a few damaged aircraft- but don't mistake that as a sign that all is back to normal- her role will be to earn income through rides to allow the rebuild to continue. (HINT HINT HINT- late X mas presents)

On the PB4y front I fear that while progress is being made- in light of these events of the last few years her priority has understandly slipped down a few notches on the list. During my recent visit it was encouraging to see that she has new wheels and the gear has been gone over (it had been complelty redone prior to the storm but was left a shamble due to effects of salt water on Mag rims) to the point that it can be moved around and in and out of hte hanger.
And of course there is still the ongoing expense of keeping the income earners flying- the 47 is currently minus an engine and it is time to open up the wings on the 17 once again to inspect the spars and bolt- bottom line even with the recent sales of museum aircraft ( yes- most of the recent notable sales were NOT musuem aircraft but those of a private collection in residence at the museum) it is still a balancing act between Money coming in and money going out.

I can honestly say that my time at the musuem was some of hte best of my life (yeah- even working with DZ) and I am confident that she will emerge from last few years better than ever but there is a long way to go-
Of course anyone wishing to send a few dollars over to help out the cause would surely be appreciated and it is tax deductble.

Sorry for the long winded reply but I think in this Internet driven "I want to know everything happening right this second in the world"- we need to rember that stuff that happened several years ago is still affecting us and it took a long to time to get her to where she was and it will take a long time ( and lost of hard work) to get her back.

THANKS
Steve (stuck in the warbid wasteland of MD) S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Okay first, let me point out that the Privateer could and should be finished in time to celebrate the 100 years of U.S.Naval Aviation. It is the only four engined Navy bomber (or flying boat) left to represent a huge piece of Naval Aviation history. Park the Army and Air Corps birds and get the Privateer flying!
Second, the museum is doing a great job of rebuilding after the hurricane. they are making smart decisions to have fewer aircraft, but more of them flying and generating revenue. Second, if another hurricane comes there will be fewer sitting in the hangar that can't be flown out in time.
The Privateer should be a money maker on the airshow scene. It has a huge "neat" factor with the blue camo and bristling with guns. Also, it has a nosewheel, more speed , and tons of range, so fewer fuel stops, better efficiency. It could at least do as well as the two B-24's. IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm 

Not sure about the better efficiency and range. The B-24s have 1830s. I think T&G Aviation swapped the 1830s for B25 QECs with the 2600s. Theyre known to suck a little gas. But I definitely agree with the neat factor. The 4Y2 is e great airplane to see in the air. Also great job by everyone at LSFM at rebuilding after the floods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
Okay first, let me point out that the Privateer could and should be finished in time to celebrate the 100 years of U.S.Naval Aviation. It is the only four engined Navy bomber (or flying boat) left to represent a huge piece of Naval Aviation history. Park the Army and Air Corps birds and get the Privateer flying!
Second, the museum is doing a great job of rebuilding after the hurricane. they are making smart decisions to have fewer aircraft, but more of them flying and generating revenue. Second, if another hurricane comes there will be fewer sitting in the hangar that can't be flown out in time.
The Privateer should be a money maker on the airshow scene. It has a huge "neat" factor with the blue camo and bristling with guns. Also, it has a nosewheel, more speed , and tons of range, so fewer fuel stops, better efficiency. It could at least do as well as the two B-24's. IMHO.

There is currently one PB4Y flying. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:02 pm 

marine air wrote:

If you feel that strongly about it, time to break out the old checkbook!
In the world of warbirds, money talks and bull$h!t walks.

There is no money to be made making appearances at Centennial airshow events. Appearance fees and selling tours and trinkets may break you even.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:59 pm 

Chris wrote:
Not sure about the better efficiency and range. The B-24s have 1830s. I think T&G Aviation swapped the 1830s for B25 QECs with the 2600s. Theyre known to suck a little gas. .

Yes - the LSFM airplane has 4- 2600's. Switching back to 1830's was looked at and discussed at several times but too many specific pieces (cowlings, mountes ect) were discarded after the swap and it would not be economically feasible to rebuild them from scratch. They tried to find some when Hawkins shut down but no luck.
So yes SHE IS A VERY VERY THIRSTY GIRL and that is going to affect how far she gets flown.

I have to 2nd what Skymaster said about the finance of airshowing(darn - complementing DZ twice in one day- thank god the year is almost over ;) ). You will see that fewer of the even econimical heavies are venturing out on long distance to air shows these days as the money availble may comes close but does not break even with the cost it takes to get the airplanes there. With gas prices climbing again as well as the dwindling supply(and subsequent cost increase) of many spares, we are most likely going to be seeing more in house events at various flying musuems as it becomes harder and harder to justify taking them out as far and as often.

Don't get me wrong - I think it sucks with a capital S- but I have seen the cost factors involved from both sides and know what shows are paying (or not) - I hope I am wrong but I think the days of a specific musuems aircraft being on the road and at a different show every weekend for 12 in a row are passing us by. Sure Collins and a few others stay out on the tour- but I bet they have to be putting up a full revenue ride at least every hourd during a weekend to make any money on it. Notice how few airshows Collins actually works into there tour schedule- it is tough to afford to have hte airplane sitting idle on the ramp for 11 out of 12 hours of daylight during prime revenue time.

Marine Air- if you feel so strongly about "what SHOULD be done" then you really need to step up with the checkbook - thats what will make it happne. I know that Larry G at LSFM is doing a great job balancing the needs of the organisation and prioritizing to keep the doors open- and it is a huge burden to bear. Sure, I agree that it would be great to see her back in the air where she belongs and I want nothing more than to get her there to honor the memory of my very close and departed friend Bill Jollife ( nother thread from another time). But if the money aint there- the money aint there.

Take Care

Steve S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

What aircraft that were damaged in the storm were sold???? OK I will not beat around the BIG rudder. Does LSFM still own the N3N??? If yes, how about a update??? IF no, where did she go?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 am 

I understand that they still own it and restoration details are being worked out. It is somewhere offsite as far as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LSFM is a great museum. My hat is off to you guys. How is the PBY and B58? Great job on cleaning up after everything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jeff,

Can you beleive they actually find people willing to pay money to fly in a Stearman? :lol:
Imagine how much money they will rake in with an N3N.

Ryan

N3Njeff wrote:
What aircraft that were damaged in the storm were sold???? OK I will not beat around the BIG rudder. Does LSFM still own the N3N??? If yes, how about a update??? IF no, where did she go?

Steve S wrote:
I understand that they still own it and restoration details are being worked out. It is somewhere offsite as far as I know.

skymstr02 wrote:
... as well as the Stearman used for the historic ride program.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

mustangdriver wrote:
How is the PBY and B58?

Stabilized, now biding their time in situ. Outwardly, they look as though they haven't been touched yet, but I'm pretty sure they'd look a lot worse if they really hadn't been. There's still plenty of very visible evidence of Ike in Hangar 2..... :(

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway