Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am 

Like others have said, it's good to see the Tracker. I had wondered what became of her when she left Indiana. So who has the plane now?

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

PJ wrote:
Like others have said, it's good to see the Tracker. I had wondered what became of her when she left Indiana. So who has the plane now?

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

It's a very small group called the Air Station Museum. They're based at the Arlington airport. I think it really surprised alot of people being there as nobody seemed to know it was right across the runway. They also have a B-26 Invader in pieces to be restored as well.

Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Al, is Jeff Thomas still involved over there???

Post subject: Re: ??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jack Cook wrote:
Al, is Jeff Thomas still involved over there???

Sorry to fail you Jack but I have no idea. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm 

I enjoyed watching the "Iron Lady" S-2 Tracker taxi in...just in front of the temporary control tower set up for the fly-in, they opened the sonobouy bay (bomb bay) doors and threw an effigy (stuffed "man") of a USAF pilot out on the taxi way and left it behind...hilarious! :D

GREAT photos, as always Al.

By the way...what's with all the planes having red stars painted on them around here, anyway? The acro planes manufacutured by rooskies I can maybe understand. But a T-6?

Maybe it's just because I'm an old cold warrior, but I personally don't care much for seeing them...they were the enemy not so long ago and were a worldwide pain-in-the-a$$ for a long time...and they're still not what I consider "good friends". Maybe some of these guys flying those colors ought to have a bit more respect for those who had to hold the red scourge at bay, and those men and women we lost in that effort. Just my two cents worth, but personally, I think the red star and anyone who flies it blows.

--Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sasquatch wrote:
I enjoyed watching the "Iron Lady" S-2 Tracker taxi in...just in front of the temporary control tower set up for the fly-in, they opened the sonobouy bay (bomb bay) doors and threw an effigy (stuffed "man") of a USAF pilot out on the taxi way and left it behind...hilarious! :D

GREAT photos, as always Al.

By the way...what's with all the planes having red stars painted on them around here, anyway? The acro planes manufacutured by rooskies I can maybe understand. But a T-6?

Maybe it's just because I'm an old cold warrior, but I personally don't care much for seeing them...they were the enemy not so long ago and were a worldwide pain-in-the-a$$ for a long time...and they're still not what I consider "good friends". Maybe some of these guys flying those colors ought to have a bit more respect for those who had to hold the red scourge at bay, and those men and women we lost in that effort. Just my two cents worth, but personally, I think the red star and anyone who flies it blows.

--Tom

I'm surprised with John Mrazek (Pussycat II) being from Canada that he doesn't have maple leafs on his bird. I like how Ross Granley's Yak 18T has the red stars on top and maple leafs on the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the nice comments! Seeing as how you're all being so kind I guess i'll share some more pics. The weather was great except for Sunday when we got some much needed rain. I only took 35 pics that day and all of them were of "Pacific Prowler"

For the entire set from my three days there you can click here and see lots more----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/spookythec ... 262185680/

Also, for you fans of the Cessna 310 you best get yourself to your nearest Hallmark store and pick up one of these ---> http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... O%7Cstores

Thanks for looking!!!!

Up next....

OSHKOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

spookythecat wrote:
PJ wrote:

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

It's a very small group called the Air Station Museum. They're based at the Arlington airport. I think it really surprised alot of people being there as nobody seemed to know it was right across the runway. They also have a B-26 Invader in pieces to be restored as well.

When I was there last they had an F-8, B25, MIG 15UTI?, Gnat, F9F, (2 or3) F-84's, Neptune cockpit and nose section, we did some work on the B-26 at Goodrich I have a picture of me in the cockpit.That's all I can remember for now. I know they had real problems with holding up their end of the deal with the county. I am surprised they are still around! Last I heard they were no longer operating. The rumor was that Paul Allen bought the collection. I also have a picture of the B-25.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I like the "Blue Canoe!" Nice to see one of those flying on the warbird circuit. I have an uncle who flew those in the Air Force and with all the good things he's had to say about them, I'm surprised there aren't more flying as warbirds. Certainly seem practical enough, even if they aren't the sexiest aircraft around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

kalamazookid wrote:
I like the "Blue Canoe!" Nice to see one of those flying on the warbird circuit. I have an uncle who flew those in the Air Force and with all the good things he's had to say about them, I'm surprised there aren't more flying as warbirds. Certainly seem practical enough, even if they aren't the sexiest aircraft around.

Two words....Hallmark Ornament (You'd think I worked for them or something. Nope. They're just really well done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nice shots Al.
Thanks for posting them.
I didn't know the Navy had Seahawks with the Black hawk style of landing gear.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not so sure Jeff is still involved with the Flying Station anymore. The City Council of Arlington pulled the plug on AIR STATION a couple of years ago after they couldn't (or wouldn't) remove the asbestos shingles on the hanger, couldn't meet insurance issues, and were making, at best a half a$$ed attempt to arrest the dry rot and mold issues in the building, I think like 262crew said, that VULCAN 'assumed' the collection after the City Council whacked the Air Station with a shovel.

Flash on your 6 should have more insider stuff as he was involved with the project-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seeing the CF-18 marked 409 Squadron brought back fun memories of the guys from Comox opening each Washington State Air Fair @ KPAE with the extreme low level displays they put on in their F-101B's :supz: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:18 pm 

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
I didn't know the Navy had Seahawks with the Black hawk style of landing gear.
Jerry

I didn't either...last I heard, the Coasties had HH-60J "Jayhawks".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HH-60_Jayhawk

The one at Arlington was an MH-60S "Knighthawk", more of a multi-mission bird, I think.
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/mh_60s/

They put on a GREAT flying display, including an auto-hover that parked them in the same spot and altitude for a substantial amount of time in seriously gusting winds.

--Tom

Post subject: ?????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

The helo from Whidbey is a station a/c and is stricty a SAR bird that replaced their Sea King a couple years back.