Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Very interesting and educational thread :shock: . My question for the experts is: The first color shot of Lou IV at the top of the page... the signal pistol discharge tube... did they cover those up with tape like the gun ports? is that why there is a perfect square outline due to the exhaust flow? I've seen this before on other photos, curious.
Thanks for any info.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 am

Good work, Wade!

Glad to see someone is finally laying the blue camo. issue to rest. :D

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks, everybody - much appreciated! 8)

Hal B wrote:... Glad to see someone is finally laying the blue camo. issue to rest. :D

:lol: Oh, it'll never die ..................................... :axe:

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Looking good Wade, how ever Sky Bouncer was not on the starboard side of the kite, I have a partial of that side but the full name is obscured by a ground crewmen. I dug through my pics and found pictures of Glankler & Rowlette, I'll scan them and shoot them to you asap.

Craig

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Excellent, Craig - I can change Sky Bouncer's right side name to whatever it really was on the final canvas. I'll just leave well enough alone on this study. If we can't discern what the name was due to the crewman blocking some of the letters, I'll just whip out my artistic license and 'fill in'.

Thanks in advance for the scans of Rowlett and Glankler. Pls post them here if able. Also, any bio info on those gents would be much appreciated.

Thx!
Wade

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:00 pm

She's finis! :supz: :drinkers:

One of the rare times a project is shaping up exactly like the guiding image in my head. Can't wait to mix paint on this baby, but first a color study or two ...

Daydreams over Cambridgeshire
(final pencil study)
11 3/8 x 22 3/4 inches
Pencil on smooth Bristol

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am

But the blue looks sooooo goooooood. :shock: :lol:

Nice job Wade!!!!

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Any updates on Sky Bouncer's other name(s)?

Ryan

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm

RyanShort1 wrote:Any updates on Sky Bouncer's other name(s)?

Yes, Ryan - Craig Quattlebaum sent me an excellent pic of Sky Bouncer's right side. It will be in a book Craig is writing on the group. The name was Winifred.

Wade

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Chicoartist wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote:Any updates on Sky Bouncer's other name(s)?

Yes, Ryan - Craig Quattlebaum sent me an excellent pic of Sky Bouncer's right side. It will be in a book Craig is writing on the group. The name was Winifred.

Wade

Ah! Thanks!

Ryan

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Wade another fine print in progress, thanks for the details...

Lynn

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Since the last update, I did a small oil study of the background only (no planes) to get my palette nailed down. I noted 'corrections' to be made on the final painting.

Next, I single-primed a 20 x 40 inch linen panel with W&N Oil Primer tinted with Burnt Sienna to give me a pleasant base to judge values. After that, I transferred the aircraft and cloud outlines to the final canvas and here I'm in the process of doing the underpainting. Note the ghostly outline of the wingman 'behind' the completed P-51. This is a "first note" struck on the final art, and I'm now 'in the groove' ... 8-)

Closeup of the cockpit area - his head and shoulders are about the size of a pencil eraser. Not a lot of detail at this size, but as I lay on color washes and then opaques, everything will tighten up a little.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:47 pm

I've been on and off this project (trying to keep lots of plates spinning ...), so before I got back to this one to wrap it up, I needed to do a detailed drawing of one of the '51s to get my brain into the appropriate gear. OK, out of excuses ;) ... time to start mixing paint on the '51s.

Facebook members can follow the detailed progress in my "Daydreams over Cambridgshire" album at my page, "Wade Meyers Studios" (see link below).

SUZY-G
(study for Daydreams over Cambridgeshire)
11.5 x 21.5 inches
Pencil on vellum

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:31 pm

If I only had as much artistic ability as your pinky finger on your non dominant hand....

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Too bad you had to paint over everything!
Post a reply