Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 pm 

Hi all,

I don't post much but do lots of reading here over the last year or two. It has been interesting and informative, entertaining and sometimes disheartening. But now I would like to tap into the vast experience and knowledge found here at WIX to try and help develop some history on my project.

I am now in the process of restoring my US Army 1956 Hiller OH23C "Raven" helicopter that I purchased a few years back. The data plate was missing but I was able to get an FAA registration with some help from Congress, and a General from US Army Materiel Command, a museum that unloaded it to me and some scant information on its history from the US Army at Ft Rucker.
I have not gotten much help from the Hiller Corporation in Ca. nor the Army, so my question is, does anybody have any ideas as to where I can get any more history or service cards or any avenue I can explore to get more info on the chopper?

I once was part of a CAF flight crew that took the SOCAL wing's C-46 to the MCAS Miramar airshow 7 years ago. I was inside answering questions about the plane when an elderly gent came aboard with his son. The man was a WW2 vet pilot and had flown C-46s over the hump in the CBI during the war. He was at the show signing books about his exploits flying the hump. We talked for a bit and I noticed his eyes were filled with tears as he talked, but not real obvious. He checked out the cockpit and left shortly thereafter.
About 5 minutes later, his son returned to the c-46 and told me the following: he thanked us for bringing the C-46 to the show because it meant so very much to his father. It ha been many, many years since his dad had been aboard the "Commando" and it brought back so many vivid memories of the friends who flew with him and friends who did not come home. Those memories were stoked as the veteran walked aboard the plane and saw the old radios and the cockpit.
The young man knew his dad would not be around much longer and he thanked me for giving his dad an experience that helped him remember his buddies. I can't begin to imagine the memories that flooded his mind but I really felt inadequate for the thanks as I had done nothing!
The young man left and I was in tears and humbled by the brief encounter with the young man and his heroic dad. The very presence at the airshow of the wartime era C-46 Commando was so meaningful to a man who had flown one during the war. I don't know the man's name or what his status is now, but I will never forget that most poignant encounter.

My point in sharing that story is to seek your help to find the history of my wartime era whirlybird, because she served to train men for war. If by restoring her, she can someday touch a veteran in a meaningful way such as with the C-46 experience, then I feel my efforts will be worth it.

I cherish and salute those who served and although I cannot preserve those people for posterity, I can be a small part of the larger group of individuals and museums who preserve the tools those men used to serve this country to tell their story; a story that must be retold constantly so new generations can get a glimpse of the price men pay to be free. Let's keep those warbirds around lest we forget how much they mean to those who were there. Someday there won't be any WW2 vets left to see those relics. I salute those warbird owners and museums who strive to keep telling the stories of those who serve!

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:51 pm 
Account Suspended

KUDOS DAVE!!!!!

Brought my father out to see FiFi once in the late 70's at Randolph AFB in Texas. He refused to go in her and would really not even go near her.

Not even look at her.., I so wanted to see him in his A/C seat once again.., but he would have no part in it!

He loved the PT-17 though.., guess those were better times flying under bridges with his comrades instead of watching them come back in pieces.

Great story.., thanks for sharing and thanks for your part in keeping it alive!!!!!

Warmest regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:55 pm 
Senior Moderator

Dave,

Thanks for that story, it is the best reason for theses old aircraft to operate. The vets reactions are priceless.

As to your Hiller, Have you contacted the guys at Fort Wolters Helicopters?

http://www.fortwoltershelicopters.com/

Last time I was by there shop it did look like there was much going on and I don't know what kind of information they have but it's worth a shot.

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 pm 

Hi Dave,
Finding an aircraft's history in the US Army, is the hardest task out of the three services. I have seen pages from something called "Goldbook" which list an aircrafts unit allocation by each month of its military service.

Gary Roush at the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association may be a good contact, as to where you can find the history of your helicopter, but you will need to provide him with it's military serial number. Do you know the military serial number? From that I can give you the Hiller construction number.

Gary has done a lot of work on the individual histories of US Army aircraft in Vietnam. Try contacting him at
webmaster@vhpa.org

Regards

Sid

Post subject: Hi Sid
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:37 pm 

Thanks you guys for the input. Re: Pat at Ft. Wolters He's a great guy and I hope anyone who needs help with their Hiller will use him for parts or service. He picked up my copter and transported it to me in California. One helluva guy and I will buy parts from him when I get more funds!.

Sid,

My copter's Army serial number is 56-2300. My N # 7069V. Any info you can give me on manufacturer #s can be used in my dealings with Hiller, who seem more interested in throwing up roadblocks the cooperating. I really would like to have some critical info so maybe they would open up just a bit. I know others who've had similar bad experiences with Hiller and we just don't understand their business model. Sheesh!
Yeah the Army is tough to mine for info but I'm sure there is someone with enough juice who can motivate some cooperation...I hope!

Thanks Sid,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 pm 

Hi Dave,
56-2300 was built with the construction number 917.

After tring Gary Roush, see what the guys at the Hiller museum can help you with.

http://www.hiller.org/

Regards

Sid