Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:03 pm 

Not going with the radio mast I take it? Somehow that just affects the look to me on a 51B/C. The CAF red tail doesn't have it either. I'm assuming its a two seater and that's the reason? Did you find B/C wing pylons?

Absolutely beautiful work, so don't get me wrong as I'm not criticizing, just curious. I love the Bee paintwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 pm 
-----------------------

Hi Dan,

We actually do have the radio mast as well as the early B/C bomb racks. We still have some finishing touches before it's complete.

JC

Post subject: The Bee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
Great choice on the paint scheme!
I've always wanted to see Howard's "Ding Hao" but this'll do!
Thanks for posting Jack!
Jerry
That would be an awesome choice.The high backers always looked better.Great job Paul family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

drgondog wrote:
The reason for the field mod Fillet on the B/C was the perception that that it would improve yaw stability at high speeds and it was added in along with reverse rudder boost starting in August 1944.

The first D to receive it was 44-13902 as a production change and all P-51D-5s in the field were retro fitted with the fillet and metal elevators

These two changes did improve both stability in sideslips, strength for slow rolls and the reverse rudder boost made it more difficult to overstress the tail in those manuevers.

Bud Anderson's Old Crow P-51B never received this mod while it was assigned to him as he got his first P-51D-5 (with no strake/fillet) in July 1944.

Sorry, I should have been been a little more specific in my question. I think you mis-interpreted what I was asking.
I was referring to Jack Roush's "Old Crow" P-51C that was restored last year. They recently added the fillet and the comments that were bantered about here stated it was to meet AD compliance.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Jerry, I believe it was only a preference of Jack Roush's to add the fillet to his aircraft, in order to correct handling issues as he saw it. The C models, "Princess Elizabeth", "Ina the Macon Belle", and "Betty Jane", continue to operate without the fillet, under FAA accordance.

JC, she really looks amazing! The B/C models are my favorite examples from the Mustang lineage, and I'm glad to see it turning out so well. I've been trying to follow the progress as best as I have been able to for the past several years, and I can't wait to see the first flight images!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jerry O'Neill wrote:

I was referring to Jack Roush's "Old Crow" P-51C that was restored last year. They recently added the fillet and the comments that were bantered about here stated it was to meet AD compliance.
Jerry

It is NOT for AD compliace, it there was a AD, every P-51A/B/C would have to have one.

it was a Tech order, and those can be done or ignored, depends on the owner.

AD or Airworthiness Directive is federal law, and must be complied with

Tech Order or Service Bulletins are advisories and do not have to be complied with, unless it is directed to be done as part of a AD,

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Matt Gunsch wrote:
Jerry O'Neill wrote:

Jerry

It is NOT for AD compliace, it there was a AD, every P-51A/B/C would have to have one.

it was a Tech order, and those can be done or ignored, depends on the owner.

AD or Airworthiness Directive is federal law, and must be complied with

Tech Order or Service Bulletins are advisories and do not have to be complied with, unless it is directed to be done as part of a AD,

Cool!
Thanks guys!
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:09 pm 

I just hope that the A-36 will get the same excellent treatment like this marvellous P-51C (if only it could start a trend!): interesting finish, accurate markings, either matte colors or natural aluminium and not glossy paint or silver finish with fantasy finish like on so many warbirds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ChrisDNT wrote:
I just hope that the A-36 will get the same excellent treatment like this marvellous P-51C (if only it could start a trend!): interesting finish, accurate markings, either matte colors or natural aluminium and not glossy paint or silver finish with fantasy finish like on so many warbirds!

The A-36 is owned by the Collings foundation, so I'm sure it will be restored to their usual high standards. It's currently being restored with American Aero Services in Florida. Here are some links:

http://www.americanaeroservices.com/web ... 6home.html

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/rest_a-36apache.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is this the former "Batty Betty?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:20 pm 

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
drgondog wrote:
The reason for the field mod Fillet on the B/C was the perception that that it would improve yaw stability at high speeds and it was added in along with reverse rudder boost starting in August 1944.

The first D to receive it was 44-13902 as a production change and all P-51D-5s in the field were retro fitted with the fillet and metal elevators

These two changes did improve both stability in sideslips, strength for slow rolls and the reverse rudder boost made it more difficult to overstress the tail in those manuevers.

Bud Anderson's Old Crow P-51B never received this mod while it was assigned to him as he got his first P-51D-5 (with no strake/fillet) in July 1944.

Sorry, I should have been been a little more specific in my question. I think you mis-interpreted what I was asking.
Jerry

I did indeed mis interpret what you meant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 am 

John-Curtiss Paul wrote:
Hi Dan,

We actually do have the radio mast as well as the early B/C bomb racks. We still have some finishing touches before it's complete.

JC

Thanks for the reply. The B/C model 51 is my absolute favorite, probably due to having built so many of the Monogram 1/48th P51B Mustangs as a kid. That and crawling around on what is now the CAF Red Tail when it was in pieces next to Jack Sandberg's hanger back in the early 70s.

One of my, if only I'd win the lottery, dream birds. Thanks for putting another one back in the air for the rest of us to enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:55 am 

I guess I'm confused. If this is an A-36, why restore it as a B model?

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If this has been discussed, could someone point me to the the discussion.

PPS. Looks like a very nice restoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:15 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ArtS wrote:
I guess I'm confused. If this is an A-36, why restore it as a B model?

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If this has been discussed, could someone point me to the the discussion.

PPS. Looks like a very nice restoration.

It's NOT an A-36. This was confirmed by John-Curtiss Paul, who is the owner of the aircraft.

Here are some threads that deal with the A-36/P-51B/C identity confusion:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... hlight=a36

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... hlight=a36

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:33 am 

Warbird1, Thanks for the response.

I read the through the threads you supplied links to. According to those threads, it appears that the A-36 parts were sold off and the papers were kept for this plane. If this is correct, is this simply a new build plane with old A-36 paperwork? If so, was the A-36 wrecked at some point or is there some other story behind it?

Thanks,

Art S.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next