Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:45 pm 

I shouldn't have been so lazy in my previous post and included all of it.

Quote:
Hmmm......well, I reckon maybe we'll just have to organize a WIXer work party or two then. I had no idea anyone would be so interested in these ol' jets

The context of the entire post is what's funny to me...the thought that people may not be interested...

Chunks

p.s. I also need to apologize the the "unpublished" S Dennison for plagerizing his plagurization of Larry the C guy in the other thread. I've been gone several days and just catching up on posts...didn't read his comment until after I posted mine. My comment was identical...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:09 am 
S/N Geek

I updated the location dossiers for these two birds...
ImageAerial Visuals - Location Dossier - Winston Field, Texas - F-101, F-105

Would it be correct to say these two airframes are not accessible to the public?

The F-105 dossier...
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Republic F-105B-15-RE Thunderchief Republic, s/n 57-5789 USAF, c/n B026
Photo upload at...
http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframePho ... rameSN=451

The F-101 dossier...
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - McDonnell F-101B-115-MC Voodoo McDonnell, s/n 59-423 USAF, c/n 747
Photo upload at...
http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframePho ... rameSN=450

Derek: Would you mind uploading your "before" shots for the dossiers?

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 am 

Chunks wrote:
p.s. I also need to apologize the the "unpublished" S Dennison for plagerizing his plagurization of Larry the C guy in the other thread. I've been gone several days and just catching up on posts...didn't read his comment until after I posted mine. My comment was identical...

No apology necessary Chunks. Larry is a personal friend of mine....well.... not really. But I do see him quite often. Nice guy.

Steve Dennis (the unpublished), I like that Chunks, that's good stuff. :lol:

Now, back to fixing warbirds with the wrong kind of round engine.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great thread. Thanks for the cool pix and stories.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:25 am 

Mike,

I uploaded some photos for you at your site. You are correct in that at present, these two birds are inside the security fence and not accessible to the general public.

Hopefully this will change in the near future with some luck...

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 pm 

Just wanted to get this back on the main page in case anyone missed it the first time around or didn't know it was up here. These are the results of mine and Gary's work on the Thud in June.

I also wanted to post some "after" shots Gary sent me in September. He went out there and power washed the inside of the Thud. As you can see if you compare them to the photos on page one of this thread, the interior is now much better looking with all of the owl debris cleaned out.

Gary told me a few weeks ago to feel free to head out there and close up the panels if I wanted to. I know I'll be in the area for Thanksgiving. It sure will be strange to be out there without him if I decide to go...

I know Gary took some of the Voodoo panels and radome & one or two of the Thud panels home with him. Brad, maybe, do you know what might become of them?

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow, quite a difference. The interior looks to be in pretty good shape! I hope these two can be saved!!

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Any chance at getting them loaned to a museum? I know we (CASC) don't have much of any funding in the way of transporting 2 big birds like that all the way from Texas, but they would be stored well until we could give them the attention they deserve. They are 2 amazing century series fighters that our museum I'm sure would love to exhibit.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I went by Gary's house and picked up all the parts for the F-101 that he had and took them back to Snyder a few hours ago. There are two more things I have to get on the next trip because I ran out of room but this chapter is pretty much closed. The Texas Air Museum and Air Force Museum will have to take it from here.

Nothing has been finalized as far as Gary's estate goes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 pm 

Well I also went to the Snyder, TX airport this past weekend (sorry I missed you Brad and thanks for the update – check your e-mail). Armed with a 6-foot ladder I set to work closing and latching what panels I could on the F-105. The nose compartment looked much better than when I last saw it back in June. There was tons of debris on the ground under the aircraft that Gary blew out back in September.

I almost left the refueling probe extended but in the end decided to close it up also.

It was very quiet out there I must say. The only sound to hear for most of the morning was the howling of the west Texas wind. I sure was missing Gary. It just wasn’t the same without him. :(

Hopefully I’ll have more to post on these birds in the near future. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for now!

-Derek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For those who didn't understand my last post. This is the F-105 I was referring to. Has any headway been made in saving or preserving this aircraft (57-5789)?

Thanks

Shay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the update guys... Hopefully they both find good homes..

________

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 pm 

I wonder about these aircraft from time to time myself, especially when I pass by the formation light cover Gary gave me from the Thud. Hard to believe it's been over a year now since I started this thread.

I haven't been back to the Snyder airport since my last post on this thread, about 10 months ago. I haven't spoken to anyone from the Texas Air Museum either about them.

I imagine they are still quietly sitting there off in the weeds.

-Derek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This thread got me to thinking about who will be taking care of these birds when the rest of us head west?Just think of the people in aviation today that never witnessed the brute in flight or the roar of its engine coming and going from air bases around the country.Will they ever care like we do?I would love to set that in the yard of my shop.Just love the 105.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There certainly will be people to look after these airplanes once we are all gone.

Well, me for instance; I was born nearly 40 years after the end of WWII. I am infatuated with all things WWII and aviation. There is something about "Times before I was born" that just seem far more glamorous or at least more interesting, or more important.

So, what I'm trying to say is that there will always be people curious about history.

There is no need to worry.

Peace,

David M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next