Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Looks basically solid but a lot of work just to stop the corrosion and get her "tightened up". Call a WIX party and see how many show up for the fun!!!

Better tone down the OWL talk, Greenpeace, Audubon and the WWF will get F-105s declared the natural habitat of spotted owls and put them off limits to "tampering with"! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Hmmm......well, I reckon maybe we'll just have to organize a WIXer work party or two then. I had no idea anyone would be so interested in these ol' jets.....especially since they were built with the wrong kind of round engine! :lol:

I'll try to put some thought into when the next work party would be best. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here's some Thud eye candy/inspiration for you guys... all of these are from the same vicinity in the production block as 789. I'd wager there's a better than even shot your Thud initially served with the 335th TFS/4th TFW- that would be a SPECTACULAR choice of scheme, if I do say so myself, and I'm sure Wade would agree! :)

I've got a bunch of 136th FIS Voodoo pics as well, although none of that particular bird.

Cheers,

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:32 am 
Account Suspended

Fantastic shots!

Thanks for taking the time to get them to us!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I had forgotten that the Thunderbirds even used the 105, granted only 6 shows, but a Thunderbird. It's History!! :shock: They said it needed heavy mods.....wonder what that would have been? Strip em nearly naked?! It is a heavy bird!!! Excelled at straight and fast!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Holedigger wrote:
I had forgotten that the Thunderbirds even used the 105, granted only 6 shows, but a Thunderbird. It's History!! :shock: They said it needed heavy mods.....wonder what that would have been? Strip em nearly naked?! It is a heavy bird!!! Excelled at straight and fast!!

There was a weakness in the spine... Thunderbird Two broke in half and exploded at an airshow on 9 May 1964, killing the pilot, Gene Devlin.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Thunderbirds_F-105_crash_site.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:19 am 

lmritger wrote:
Here's some Thud eye candy/inspiration for you guys... all of these are from the same vicinity in the production block as 789. I'd wager there's a better than even shot your Thud initially served with the 335th TFS/4th TFW- that would be a SPECTACULAR choice of scheme, if I do say so myself, and I'm sure Wade would agree! :)

Cheers,

Lynn

Thanks for the photos Lynn. Well I don't know what Gary has in mind for the final paint scheme, but in my opinion, I don't think a natural metal bird would be a good idea due to all of the ugly patches on her from the BDR repair training. I think a SEA camo scheme would hide that much better.

Thanks to everyone else for all of the kind words. I hope I didn't post too many photos! :)

I can't wait to get out there again and work on her some more in the near future. Just say the word Gary!

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm 
Account Suspended

There was an F-105 out near Randolph Air Force Base.., i think in Cibolo or Shertz TX out off of Seguin Road, just East of the base.., i look on google maps and see no signs of her. This would have been mid 70's. Maybe she was moved on base?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm 
Account Suspended

I was curious what came between an F-102 and an F-104.., when I was looking at the F-100 series of fighters

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/f-103.htm

I guess the pilot would stick his head out the window to see in front of him?

Last edited by the330thbg on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 pm 

I'm just glad to see them being worked on for some sort of preservation. Over the last few years I've seen planes in better shape get 4x4 shredded via govliquidation.com auctions.

Here's the latest batch of unfortunate aircraft at Nellis. Looks like a few interesting F-16 projects going to waste there:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... GLSPPS1868

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary,
any pics of the right side of the voodoo panels and cockpit interior?

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

peter wrote:
Gary,
any pics of the right side of the voodoo panels and cockpit interior?

I didn't take any. Maybe Derek did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:22 pm 

Peter,

No I didn't get any shots of the right side of the cockpit interior, sorry. The glass is still intact on the left side of the canopy and trying to take shots through the glass wouldn't have come out too well. The only access I had was through the missing searchlight cover on that side of the aircraft. Perhaps next time Gary and I can get the canopy open and take more pictures of the gutted interior. I'd like to check out the radar scopes a bit more closely myself.

Seeing the pictures in the "Mexican" F-105B thread have given me an idea about opening the Thud canopy up in an easier fashion. The Voodoo canopy is much larger and heavier so hopefully we or someone else can figure out a solution there to allow access next time. Guess we need to get our thinking caps on!

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:05 pm 

Gary said
Quote:
I'll try to put some thought into when the next work party would be best. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Now that's funny! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there...

Chunks

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

I don't think Gary meant that to be funny at all. :idea:
He's not going to waste the effort if the dilrods at the AF museum are going to cut it up :idea: :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next