Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm 

The seat is adjustable by means of a wheel on the right hand side.
The forward visability is quite good sitting up that high, however i did notice Rob still utilized small s turns while taxiing. At full height you actually look over the tops of the wings.
The Bristol engine is a joyous sound. Very refreshing from the American radials. No offense guys, just nice to have a change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

That is SO cool! Congrats to you all.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Beautiful!! 8)

Great work, guys!

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 pm 

Spectacular! Congrats to the hard working CWH crew on a fine job.

Scale Model Design & Construction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What a fantastic site to see!! Long may she continue to grace the skies!!

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Will there be any U.S. touring done with the airplane? I know it would be a stretch, but seeing it waaaaay down here in Texas sometime would sure be cool. And is it in a category to where y'all can sell rides in it to help keep it flying?

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm 

is that an official rcaf paint job? never seen a combination like that before, i'm used to seeing all yellow.i'll bet it looks great up close !! interesting....., but i'm just not sure what to make of it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

groundpounder wrote:
is that an official rcaf paint job? ...interesting....., but i'm just not sure what to make of it. :shock:

Target Tug paint job..check out the Vampire Mk 3 thread for another example.

Great news, the Lizzie is up and looking sharp!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Question about the Lisander's wing structure:

How are the wings mounted onto the fuselage? Is there a through spar (or whatever the correct term is) on top of the cabin, or are the wings attached to the fuselage and supported by the bracing you clearly see in the pictures?

I ask, because when I was a kid, I put together a couple of models of the Lysander, and I do not recall any "through" wing structures, and I also remember that it was a real pain to get the wings to remain glued in place.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

m charters wrote:
The Bristol engine is a joyous sound. Very refreshing from the American radials. No offense guys, just nice to have a change!

Yes it is unique. I've wondered how the novel cowl ring "all into one" exhaust collector affected the sound.
I've only heard it on a few YouTube videos..but I can just imagine what they are like in person.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great news!

Now for the test programme...

The real challenge of Lizzie flying is to climb to the cockpit without getting stuck half-way!
Tulio wrote:
Question about the Lisander's wing structure:

How are the wings mounted onto the fuselage? Is there a through spar (or whatever the correct term is) on top of the cabin, or are the wings attached to the fuselage and supported by the bracing you clearly see in the pictures?

In simple terms they are attached to a framework (rather like the T-6 rollover structure) inside the canopy middle section, and braced by the struts.

The interesting fact is that the flaps are deployed by the inner pair of slats, which themselves deploy by the change of airflow over them - the pilot has no control over the flaps except by how slowly he flies.

To add to the unique characteristics - the tailplane (horizontal stabilizer) is moveable as an alternative to a trim tab; getting it in the wrong angle at take off or on a go-around can be fatal, as the elevator authority isn't enough to override the pitch-up.
groundpounder wrote:
is that an official rcaf paint job? never seen a combination like that before, i'm used to seeing all yellow.i'll bet it looks great up close !! interesting....., but i'm just not sure what to make of it.

As airnutz said, it's a standard Target Tug scheme, which was devised in the late 1930s in Britain and used by the Commonwealth countries (certainly the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and Rhodesia) through the war and later in some cases. Despite the fact that many aircraft survived into civilian hands precisely because they were used as target tugs, it was a forgotten scheme until relatively recently in preservation - not aggressive enough for some.

The fact that the majority of fighter and gunnery crews found it hard to hit a barn door in combat is indicative that we should have had more TT and gunnery training, and today we should acknowledge a difficult and dangerous role - one that the Canadian Lysanders played a big part with.

They would tow a sleeve or banner target for either fixed gunnery from fighters or flexible or turret mounted guns as appropriate.

As far as I'm aware this is the ONLY airworthy aircraft in such a TT scheme anywhere in the world. The RAAF Museum has FB.30 Vampire in TT colours, the RAF Museums Hawker Tempest is in these colours and the Imperial War Museum's Mosquito is also painted in this scheme. All these have been painted/repainted in the last decade. (Sometimes the black-yellow stripes were only on part or the underside of the aircraft.)

The colours served two purposes - one to distinguish the tug from the target(!) and secondly that the aircraft was towing a(n effectively invisible) cable which could be lethal to a passing aircraft, tempted to 'bounce' a plodding machine...

The second reason is why training gliders and their tugs often had green-brown disruptive camouflage above and the stripes on the underside.

Another aspect of the diversity of W.W.II aviation highlighted. Well done, CWH.

Regards,

(Author of the Westland Lysander, published by MMP Books: http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=84 )

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 am 

Great stuff - and a lovely colour scheme, too.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I said:
JDK wrote:
As far as I'm aware this is the ONLY airworthy aircraft in such a TT scheme anywhere in the world.

My friend Dave Homewood corrected me over on Plane Talk:
Quote:
Nope, see here (SAAF Harvard in the same sort of scheme and looking fantastic!)
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... 432&page=7

Thanks Dave.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 am 

m charters wrote:
A different angle to show the Target tug colors nicely...

Oh yes - you could hardly make them out in the other pics. :lol: :lol:

Great photos, thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:03 pm 

m charters wrote:

None taken! I love the sound of the Centaurus-powered Sea Furies!
I can even understand how someone might view the gentle smoothness of a T-28's 1820 as something other than a symphony. :)

What displacement is the engine in the Lysander, and how available are spares?

Rich

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next