Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DoraNineFan wrote:
6trn4brn wrote:
So then would the next course be for Mr Russel to offer the farmer a generous amount for the field beyond the end of the runway? Or has he already and the farmer turned him down?

If the airfield is not a registered or licenced airport, but simply a landing ground its rights to clear approaches may not be enforceable?

If allowable under Canadian law, I would have thought the next course of action would be to sue the farmer for everything except his undershorts if it can be proven that the flagpole was erected with malicious intent. Somebody could die next time.

This is a very lucky outcome for both aircraft and pilot arising from an obviously serious neighbour dispute.

But unless there is a local planning requirement to erect poles on your own land, (or a specific airport approach overlay limiting the height of structures on the land in the approach?), and they were erected without permit, I would have thought unfortunately that the land owner is within his rights to erect poles?, I would have thought a land owner could build a building, or grow a row of trees anywhere on his land, including near the boundary, un-inhibited by his neighbours desire to fly low over the fence?, or have a runway threshold to or near the boundary?

Doesnt mean its a nice thing to do, but it would seem it might be a legal thing to do, especially if they are clearly visible?

Obviously obstacles in flightlines of registered airports should be correctly and visibly marked, but apparantly this isnt a registered airport?

Of course we dont know both sides of this dispute and what notification/warnings were made about the poles being erected, and it does seem the poles had been identified and made known to pilots?

Of course man-traps are illegal, but that apparantly hasnt yet been established by the legal authorities?

It would seem best to let the legal investigators determine the offences.

Obviously civil action can be undertaken at any time, but it would seem more likely of success following a legal investigation, particularly if it identifies an offence has occured.

Lets leave that to the Canadian authorities, is there any updates on that situation?

Its been 18 months since the incident, are there still poles and other tall objects being stood at the end of the runway by the neighbour?

Regards

Mark Pilkington

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here is the runway listing for our favorite local airport.
The former airport operator owns the vacant property at the end of the runway, and he erected a fence across at his property line.
Then he put an excavator and an RV on the runway to prevent its use. you would think he hated Aviation.
He owns an FBO at another airport, and operates a flight school. So much for safety.

We watched a pilot in a Pitts arrive one day, he was so nervous about the fence that he ended up pancaking the thing on the runway, snapping the safety cable on the gear.
Luckily he missed hitting the prop, poured the coals to it and went for another try.

there have been legal issues disputed for4 years, and its still there.

Obstruction
8 ft. fence, 310 ft. from runway, 55 ft. both sides of centerline, 13:1 slope to clear
APCH SLOPE 50:1 TO DSPLCD THLD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I don't know the ins and outs of the dispute, but one I can say with absolute assurance is that the guys flying the airplanes last year (2010) did a terrific job. Ed Russell tapped into some tremendous local experience: the 3 gents from the Canadian Harvard Aerobatic Team (Kent Beckham, Dave Hewitt and Pete Spence), aerobatic display pilot Rick Volker, and long time taildragger instructor (and airline Captain) Joe Cosmano.

The experience level, and professionalism, of those pilots is very high. I both watched them and flew with them last year, and was impressed by their judgement and their aircraft handling.

Great guys, good choice.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 pm 

I agree with what Dave is saying.
Ed Russell take owning such rare aircraft very seriously.
When he first obtained them, he brought over some of the most experienced pilots available.
Yes, there are some very qualified pilots in N. America also however John Romain ( who was flying the Me109 during the incident) is one of the top 5-10 Spit/Me109 pilots in the world. Another is ME109 pilot is Walter Eichorn , who was also there for the first Airshow held.
For the first few years of the show the routine was to have John Romaines team come over to fly but as some of our Canadian pilots obtained Spit and Hurricane check outs at Vintage Wings of Canada, Ed began to let them fly his a/c
As Dave says, we now see Rob Gilman, Rob Erdos, Kent Beckham, Dave Hewitt, Pete Spence, Rick Volker and Joe Cosmano all flying Ed's aircraft.
IMHO Ed did things properly by starting out with a Team that he new well and eventually having them check out and transition a group of highly experienced local pilots to take over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know its slightly off topic but, I hope Mr. Russell will find the funds to obtain some more choice aircraft to further his very unique collection. I would suggest more Battle of Britain related aircraft in my opinion. That, and the Hurricane should get a repaint. :)

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Curious also.....

Anyone has updates on the 109 repairs?

Tks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 pm 

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Curious also.....

Anyone has updates on the 109 repairs?

Tks in advance

Well, the wing has been repaired and it was flying up until the end of July. The repaired leading edge section was not yet painted.
The prop overhaul was due on August 1st but that has been done and I hear it will be ready to fly again in the upcoming season.

Here it is with the Hurricane at our Wings & Wheels show last July (the 109's last appearance in 2010)

:partyman:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10