Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Russell Group ME 109 Take Off Incident (no injuries)

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:55 am

Saw over at www.landings.com that the Russell Group 109 clipped a pole on take off last night, & returned to airport for an emergency landing. :shock:
Robbie

Re: Russell Group ME 109 Take Off Incident (no injuries)

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 am

Robbie Stuart wrote:Saw over at www.landings.com that the Russell Group 109 clipped a pole on take off last night, & returned to airport for an emergency landing. :shock:
Robbie

That really sucks! But at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Re: Russell Group ME 109 Take Off Incident (no injuries)

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 am

Robbie Stuart wrote:Saw over at www.landings.com that the Russell Group 109 clipped a pole on take off last night, & returned to airport for an emergency landing. :shock:
Robbie

Damm, much damage or pics of that yet?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:36 am

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/578034

Niagara police said the fighter was taking off at about 8:20 p.m. Thursday evening and struck a pole which had been erected close to the end of the runway.

“The aircraft sustained damage to one of its wings, forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing at the airfield,” a police spokesman said in a statement.

“Due to the experience of the pilot, the plane was landed without further incident.”

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:51 am

That is unfortunate news.. I do hope that the damage is minimal and this rare aircraft can be returned to the skies soon!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:53 am

darn, that's a shame....

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:54 am

Sounds like the neighbor is giving them problems again. He put up poles last year as well during the airshow right at the end of the runway. As far as I recall, a couple of the pilots backed out of the show because of that.

I'm just glad that this didn't end even worse.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:58 am

kzollitsch wrote:Sounds like the neighbor is giving them problems again. He put up poles last year as well during the airshow right at the end of the runway. As far as I recall, a couple of the pilots backed out of the show because of that.

I wonder what the neighbor is going to think of the 6 figure judgement he's gonna suffer due to intentionally putting an obstacle there?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 am

Hopefully it won't happen again!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 am

Has the FAA talked to the guy that put up these obstructions to the safety of flight? Is there a NOTAM or anything in the pilots briefing area warning OUR aviators of the alpha hotel's obstructions? This kinda stuff just rips my A double s

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:20 am

gary1954 wrote:Has the FAA talked to the guy that put up these obstructions to the safety of flight? Is there a NOTAM or anything in the pilots briefing area warning OUR aviators of the alpha hotel's obstructions? This kinda stuff just rips my A double s

The plane is based in Canada, the FAA has no oversight there, it is Transport Canada.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:24 am

kzollitsch wrote:Sounds like the neighbor is giving them problems again. He put up poles last year as well during the airshow right at the end of the runway. As far as I recall, a couple of the pilots backed out of the show because of that.

That's madness. Why would he do that??

(Obviously I'm unaware of the issues here...)

yeah thats the ticket .....

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:25 am

...i'll put some poles in the way so that I (1 person) wont be bothered by the airshow (thousands of people) I'll show them......sounds like someone needs to figure things out.
of course we get the same thing at Reno every year. "those airplanes are too loud" hummm.....when you built your house on the hill you could SEE the airport...did you not think there would be occasional flying activity there?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 am

Quick reponse team needed here with a CH-47..hover over poles. Fast rope deploy team..place snatch rig device around poles. Use Heavy lift -47 to rip 'em outta the ground. Punch off/jettison load over residence. Team disperses into population as average citizen
Last edited by gary1954 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

I don't think the neighbor in question thought this through very well...
Post a reply