Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:26 pm 

Hi there,
Just thought you'd enjoy some shots I took on Saturday at CHAA's last flyday of the year. The weather sure was great for flying! A major highlight was the first flight of Bessy (Harvard 20321/CF-UFZ) in almost two years! It has had an overhaul including the installation of a smoke system and having its tired engine replaced with the Covington-overhauled engine formerly on Mk II 3191/C-FMTX. A repaint is next on the to-do list as you can tell. :lol:

Bjarni Tryggvason (our resident astronaut) and CTechO Bill Ritchie ready to strap in for the test flight.

Taxiing back to the hangar after the hour-long test flight. See what I mean about needing a repaint... :wink:

Removing panels to change Bessy's oil.

Harvard lineup

One of the display signs I made up last month (using CWH stands that were being thrown out!) in front of Harvard Mk 4 20422/C-FRZW in the middle of its attach angle inspection.

Formation takeoff for the JAM flyover in London.

Taxiing in after the JAM flight. this is my favourite shot of the day... 8)

Bessy's 2nd takeoff...SMOKE ON! Off to Welland for a fly-in visit.

We rolled the Yale out to take some shots for the pilot's handbook. The prop was FINALLY installed on Wednesday! Taxi tests and the long-awaited first flight are in the very near future!

Your's truly in 3399. Just think, in 15 years or so, my Yale (3390) will hopefully look this good

Enjoy!

:partyman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 am 
Taylorcraft Racing

Nice pics. Wish I could have made it up.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very nice. Good to see Bessy back in the air and hearing the Yale is getting close. It was a nice weekend for flying.

Eric

Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Dang about 30 years ago I got a ride in Bessie at Langley, BC. Can't for the life of me remember the owner/pilots name but he was a retired RCAF instructor with about 10 bizillion T-6 hours.
Very nice chap and I saw and visited with him and sat in her again a few years back. Dang stupid memory!! Looks like the same paint job also :P
BTW also know of #436 fairly well :hide:

Post subject: Re: ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jack Cook wrote:
Dang about 30 years ago I got a ride in Bessie at Langley, BC. Can't for the life of me remember the owner/pilots name but he was a retired RCAF instructor with about 10 bizillion T-6 hours.
Very nice chap and I saw and visited with him and sat in her again a few years back. Dang stupid memory!! Looks like the same paint job also :P
BTW also know of #436 fairly well :hide:

Tony Swain. A very nice guy as you say. I'll probably see him at Reno in a day or two. He's usually there in the T-6 pits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In that last pic, is there something missing in that prop hub? The other ones seem to have some sort o Big nut in the middle! Different prop set-up I am guessing.

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

That's him Brad!! Very cool guy. I saw him up at Arlington like 5-6 years ago. I was like 15-16 or so when I got that ride with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:23 pm 

Holedigger wrote:
In that last pic, is there something missing in that prop hub? The other ones seem to have some sort o Big nut in the middle! Different prop set-up I am guessing.

Yep, the end cap isn't on. The prop was just hung, and I think there are a few more little parts to install inside it before we start the engine.

Tomorrow's our restoration work day, so it will probably be finished up then (and hopefully will be started as well!)
On another note, the pilot who will be carrying out the test flights is a crop duster, and his season should be just about wrapped up by now, leaving him with more time to help us out.

And if anybody is talking to Tony sometime, you can let him know his ol' girl is back in the air. :D

Thanks for all the comments!

:partyman: