Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Included in this issue, which is due to be posted next week....

ATHENIAN AVIATORS
The Minos Kyriakou Collection

Little is known about the Classic -Warbird scene in Greece, and there is a very good reason for this, as such operations are not encouraged by authorities and therefore rules and regulations have stifled any growth in this area. Fortunately there is one organization that is making some headway and it is fair to say that the Athenian Aviators Collection is a beacon of hope in an otherwise barren landscape. This article takes a look at that struggle and reveals how passion by a small group of individuals has resulted in a superb collection of vintage machines which literally fly in the face of bureaucracy.

AUSSIE EINDECKER

Anthony Fokker’s Eindecker of the First World War, which introduced the ‘interrupter gear’ to fighter aircraft which allowed a huge increase in shooting accuracy proved such a success that it led to what was known as the ‘Fokker Scourge.’ A number of flying reproductions have been built, however only two are faithful to the original, Javier Arango’s California based example and the subject of this article which is operated by the Caboolture, Queensland based TAVAS. Here founding director and test pilot Andrew Carter details the effort to achieve this and describes the thrill of flying such an early bird of prey.

THE LAST MIG

The sleek MiG-3 was the standard fighter of the PVO (Air Defence) for the Moscow region during 1941 and as German troops approached Moscow that October the MiGs frequently flew combat missions supporting IL-2 Shturmoviks and tactical bombers in the desperate effort to stem the enemy advance. It was during one of these sorties that a MiG flown by Junior Lieutenant Krapivko was shot down into a swamp following combat with Bf109s. Some 60 years later the wreck of the aircraft was extricated by a team from the Novosibirsk based company Avia Restoration and rebuilt to fly. Boris Osiatinskiy describes the effort to return their third, and final, example of this aesthetically pleasing Russian fighter back to the skies of the Motherland.

Our last Mystery Aircraft was a ...PWS 26

The PWS 26 was arguably the premier training aircraft of the late 1930s and was the result of the development of a long family of trainers initiated in 1929 by designer Augustyn Zdaniewski. Following a series of improved airframes an example of the PWS-16 was rebuilt in 1934 to account for the increased stresses of being tasked with gunnery and bombing training. Designated the PWS-16bis, further structural strengthening and a revised fuel system followed in 1935, which saw the aircraft able to perform full aerobatics and have the capacity to be armed to enable advanced combat training -the PWS-26 was born. Here we take a look at the type’s history and focus on the only known survivor.

THE SINGAPORE AUSTER

Way back in Issue Seven Colin Bridgman described how his aeroplane dreams came true, when he purchased an ‘Auster in a Barn.’ At the time he was able to track some of the aircraft’s prior history, but much of it was a mystery, at least to him. Over the intervening years much more information has come to light, and given that its journey has been an interesting one, it is only appropriate that the story is updated. This is a fascinating story of improvisation, determination and perseverance which saw a battered and incomplete airframe rebuilt and modified to take on the daunting flight from Singapore to Australia.

TARGET FOR TODAY – NORTH ATLANTIC!
Bata´s Lockheed Electra 'Over the Pond' Diary.

The historic 1937 Lockheed Electra A10 once owned and operated by Jan Antonin Bata, the founder of the Bata Shoe Company, has returned home following an epic Trans Atlantic flight for new owner Ivo Lukacovic. In this article both of the aircraft’s pilots describe the journey, which although had the potential for disaster, went relatively smoothly, some anxious moments aside – the team arriving to home to a hero’s welcome nine days after setting out. Complementing the trip diary are spectacular images which feature the Lockheed over hostile but magnificent scenery.

Airshows

Skyfest, Canada
Flying Legends, UK

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 pm 
KiwiZac

Looks like I REALLY need to renew my sub! Looks like a super issue - the MiG-3 and Electra articles already have me excited.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:52 pm 

Looks bloody fantastic Dave, can't wait for mine to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahhh yes the Athenian Aviators Collection. They operate my future PBY.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:29 pm 

Time to keep an eye on the mailbox! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:13 am 

Anyone got theirs yet?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:28 am 

Yep! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:47 am 

Your smiley indicates that it's a good one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for early next week here in England. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 am 

Just got Issue 98 and tried to email you the ID of the mystery plane, but your email was returned as undeliverable. I'll try and send you a PM. Just FYI.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Received my copy yesterday, and yup, it's another good one. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:05 pm 

Well mine arrived today in England, superb