Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:17 am 

On the night of the 17th/18th January 1943, the Luftwaffe launched their first large scale ‘two raids in one night’ attack on London since 1941. Four of the raiders were brought down over the U.K., no less than three of them by one crew of No 29 Squadron RAF – Wing Commander Mike Wight-Boycott, the squadron’s C/O, and his Radar operator, Flying Officer E.A. Saunders.

Initially they claimed three Dornier Do 217s destroyed, and one damaged, plus one Junkers Ju 88 destroyed, for which they were awarded the DSO and DFC respectively, however one of the Do 217s claimed as ‘destroyed’ was later downgraded to a ‘damaged’ by Fighter Command. In fact, only one of their victories that amazing night was a Do 217. This was WNr 5591, U5+MR of 7/KG 2.

The two other aircraft brought down by Wight-Boycott and Saunders were both Ju 88s. Mike Wight-Boycott went on to claim a total of seven aircraft destroyed and two damaged, plus two V-1 Flying Bombs.

The well known aviation artist Geoff Nutkins is working on a painting of W/C Wight-Boycott shooting down the Dornier Do 217 that night, for W/C Wight-Boycott's son, and has asked me to see what information I can gather to help with the painting.

What Geoff needs are details about the Beaufighter that Wight-Boycott was flying that night. 'Aces High' lists it as '8270', so what was the full s/n and what code letter did it carry? Did it have any nose art? How would it have been marked? Are there any photos of the Beau in question, or of 29 sqn Beaus around that period that could be emailed to me?

Accounts by Wight-Boycott or Saunders of the night in question would also be very welcome. I understand there is an account by Wight-Boycott in 'Beaufighter squadrons in Focus' by Parry! Does anyone have a copy of this book & could they let me have a copy of his account?

We have the relevant information from 'The Blitz, then & now', but anything else regarding Wight-Boycott's Beaufighter, or those of 29 sqn at that time, text or images will be very welcome.

Can anyone suggest who we might contact for information or photos re the Beau or 29 Sqn RAF in January 1943?

Over to you guys.

Geoff.

Member - The Battle of Britain Historical Society