Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: B-25 "Grumpy"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:02 pm 

I have reason to believe B-25 "Grumpy", previously owned and operated by the Historic Flight Foundation in Spokane, is now under ownership in Europe- Switzerland to be precise. I believe it is owned by the same outfit as the Classic Formation, who own and display a DC-3 and three Beech-18's.

Post subject: Re: B-25 "Grumpy"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yes, its been sold to Hugo Mathys in Switzerland.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:39 pm 

Thanks. I'm guessing it'll be a ferry flight from North America to Europe soon, depending on the status of the B-25. I believe it spent most of its life in Paine Field sat outside but does anyone know how airworthy the B-25 is right now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Its always been well cared for and flown regularly with the Historic Flight Foundation, based on what I've seen over the years. It had its annual inspection earlier this year, took part in an event at the Museum of Flight in Seattle this year, and was last flown just a couple months ago. Earlier in the year, it was scheduled to be at the Abbotsford Airshow in August, but of course these circumstances pertaining to its sale prevented that.

Edit: I just saw a post on Facebook from Platinum Fighter Sales that the B-25 was flown to the Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras, OR, for some maintenance before it makes the trek to Europe.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It received new engines and a couple of years back after losing an engine enroute to Paine Field after appearing at the annual "Radials and Rivers" air show In Lewiston, Idaho.
Its listing on Platinum Fighters says both engines have 25 hours SMOH.

In Spokane it spent about half of its time outdoors and lately with the addition of another maintenance hangar, it spent more time inside.

Unlike many warbirds of its ilk, it was flown regularly.

As a volunteer at the museum, I was around it a great deal and flew in it a few times.

It performed three days at the Fairchild open house in 2022, the annual Felts Field Neighbor Day, and did several flyovers for local veterans events in addition to proficiency flying.

I knew the pilots and mechanics, it had good serviceability.

I received an email this afternoon, it left Felts late in the day to start its flight to its new home.
I wish them, and Grumpy, a safe journey.