Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: What airplane did you see flying today?(airplane spottin

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Another day of great Gunfighter viewing. You all made a 89yrs old Air Force vet day today with him seeing and hearing the aircraft overhead. Thank you

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Volga Dnepr Ilyushin IL-76 at MCO

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Vietnam War Flight Museum's MIG-21
And
Collings Foundation's F-4 warming up for Wings Over Houston.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Pulling into Randall's grocery on Space Center I heard a roar overhead but couldn't see what it was by the time I got out of the car...until I heard the familiar coke-bottle whistle of the J-79. When I finally caught sight of it in the distance on final to Ellington it sure looked like the F-4 silhouette. I was looking for the single black smoke trail, but I was a bit far. I guess these days that could only mean the Collings bird was up. I'll celebrate with Dietz & Watson Sour and Half Sour pickles with lunch...which luckily were in stock! :D

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks 67N20, that was a timely answer! I missed the MiG, ya'll have my attention now..listening up!

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Today at Ellington:
LSFM’s PT-19, P-47, and SBD
Collings A-4 and 262.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm

67N20 wrote:Today at Ellington:
LSFM’s PT-19, P-47, and SBD
Collings A-4 and 262.

That's a pretty good day there.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am

At about 10:30 am eastern time a biplane what looked to be and sound like a WACO was heading east bound along Lake Erie shore line at Vermilion, Ohio. It looked like it was a float plane, but the float appeared to be aligned with one side of aircraft. This could have been a result of the angle I was viewing. Aircraft was tracking eastbound, but was heading about 20 degrees right - either due to wind or compensating for float which aircraft may have been fairying - don't know??... :?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Spotted "Madras Maiden" fly over yesterday, 10/22, low and slow en route to KFTW. Didn't have time to grab a camera. It's the first time I've seen N4701G in the "new" scheme. Though I miss the "Chuckie" colors, I'm very happy that she is flying and keeping history alive!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm

B-52 departing Ellington this afternoon. Did a nice flyby on the way home.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 am

groggie wrote:Spotted "Madras Maiden" fly over yesterday, 10/22, low and slow en route to KFTW. Didn't have time to grab a camera. It's the first time I've seen N4701G in the "new" scheme. Though I miss the "Chuckie" colors, I'm very happy that she is flying and keeping history alive!

Thanks for noticing us (I was aboard). Minor correction: it's N3701G. I, too, miss the Chuckie livery. It sure was nice to have her "home" for the weekend!

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

K5DH wrote:
groggie wrote:Spotted "Madras Maiden" fly over yesterday, 10/22, low and slow en route to KFTW. Didn't have time to grab a camera. It's the first time I've seen N4701G in the "new" scheme. Though I miss the "Chuckie" colors, I'm very happy that she is flying and keeping history alive!

Thanks for noticing us (I was aboard). Minor correction: it's N3701G. I, too, miss the Chuckie livery. It sure was nice to have her "home" for the weekend!

Sorry about that K5DH, I meant N3701G. Must've looked at a 4 right before I posted that comment. Thanks for the correction.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Big ol' formation flight, must've been 10 aircraft. Heading east over north Cincinnati. I could not identify even a type, too far away. Veterans Day mission I assume. I was on I-75 and one of these days I'm going to crash, watching cool planes while driving. Man alive, a sight like this gets the blood flowing. Outside of an airshow somehow is so much more exciting.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Got to Carson City, NV airport this morning and Rosalie, N51TC, 44-75009 had just taken off. The pilot did a couple nice passes down the runway and landed. I was told the Mustang has been sold and they were working on it to get ready to go to it's new home. Nice to see it flying again.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 pm

This time of year it's rare to see anything because of the clouds...I don't expect to see anything until spring.

But today I got lucky and got a nice view of a HH-1N Twin Huey.
Fairchild still has a couple for support of the Survival School and since my home is just off the road they follow north, I get a lot of flybys. They're the oldest helicopters in the AF inventory since they have FY72 serials. They bought 79, most were used by Special Ops (and the Survival School), but since the arrival of Pavev Hawks, the survivors have been passed down to missile site support duties replacing the 30 HH-1H single engined Hueys.

A couple of years ago I was walking the dog and waved at them, they were flying about 500-700 feet, saw me and circled me.

I got my first helicopter flight in one of their ships in 1974, when I was in a local ROTC program.
Post a reply