Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:10 pm 

Around 18.30 CET straight above my house in Zeist, the Netherlands:
a Nato E-3A Sentry flying at 29.000 ft. in a clear blue sky.
Was able to see the radar disk spinning nicely.
Probably doing it's job here because of the large Nato excercise that is being held this week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:00 pm 

H-47 eastbound over Vermilion, Ohio flying over lake shore...1:00 PM-ish... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:18 pm 

Today I saw Spitfire EP120 and Gladiator N5903 fly over my house on their way to Church Fenton! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:30 pm 

E-4B into Mildenhall yesterday, part of POTUS visit to Europe - never seen one before!

Nice V-tailed Bonanza this afternoon, a while since one of those has graced my vision...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I live kind of out in the boonies. Our town is about 25,000 people or so, and it's the biggest town for 150 km in any direction. Yesterday I stepped out in the backyard for an after-breakfast smoke I heard an amazing sound. Disappearing into the forest fire smoke was a big (for around here, anyway) 4 engine aircraft. The only 4 engine airplanes seen around here in recent years are the Lockheed Electras used for firebomber work, and this sound was not turbines.

Turns out the Sentimental Journey tour is not only happening, but touching down in places like this. I stopped by the airport at the end of the day, and had a great time talking Warbird with the various crew and support people. The tour is a much bigger operation than I would have imagined, with a couple of trailers and tow vehicles to support the two Warbirds.

The bombardier position was available on the 30 minute flight for an eye-watering $1160. There were happy takers...

Attachments:
_D824814.jpg
_D824814.jpg [ 137.37 KiB | Viewed 1245 times ]
_D824801.jpg
_D824801.jpg [ 203.13 KiB | Viewed 1245 times ]
_D824808.jpg
_D824808.jpg [ 285.49 KiB | Viewed 1245 times ]

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As I was at the mailbox yesterday getting our mail when I heard a few high-performance airplanes. I saw a flight of four WW2 fighters apparently following I-5 at a distance (but I could still make them out to be Navy style radial engine fighters). They were really moving, too, perhaps the throttles to the firewalls. I have the flightaware app, and only two were noted, coming from Bremerton, tail #s N800H and N1337A
It didn’t take long to figure out there’d been an airshow there over the weekend and these were the four WW2 Navy fighters (Corsair, Wildcat, Avenger and Bearcat) going back to the Erickson collection in Oregon. Imagine the luck of seeing them at all!

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Late yesterday afternoon, there was a Bell 47G at <1000 agl a few miles north of the M25 NE of London.
I hadn't seen a 47 in the air since a visit to Abbitsford, B.C. in 2010. I have visited Scott's Helicopter in Minnesota a couple of times since then, they now hold the 47 Type Certificate, but on those occasions, they didn't have one flying.

It was army green, I couldn't see what markings it had, British Army or a faux MASH scheme. That film seems to dog the type in popular culture...Never mind most of the ships sporting the markings are the wrong model for the scheme.

I was returning from a visit to the de Havilland Museum at Salisbury Hall. It was fun to see three Mosquitos in one hangar. One, a bomber variant (and star of 633 Squadron) was placed so it was easy to look though the "glass" nose and see the cockpit.
Another highlight was the ability to closely examine a center section of a wooden wing. Very different from the wood wings I am used to seeing on antique light aircraft.

In the gift shoppe you can buy a large patch of yellow fabric from the prototype Mosquito for just £20, which I thought was a very good deal. Sadly, I didn't buy it because my den/library is already full.

I also got to walk through the fuselage of a Comet 1 jetliner.
On your next trip to London, I recommend a visit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:21 pm 

The Bell 47 could well be G-MASH (of course!) which is actually a Westland built Sioux, the aircraft is registered to an Essex based owner.
Definitely agree with your opinion of the museum, to see the prototype Mossie on display at the site it was designed and built is quite something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Paul Stroud wrote:
The Bell 47 could well be G-MASH (of course!) which is actually a Westland built Sioux, the aircraft is registered to an Essex based owner.
Definitely agree with your opinion of the museum, to see the prototype Mossie on display at the site it was designed and built is quite something.

Yes, I recall G-MASH being an attraction at air shows for quite awhile.
I recall it's owner/pilot was a woman, and I seem to recall from a piece in FlyPast, that she recently passed away. (if I'm mistaken, my apologies).
Does it still wear US Army markings?
At any rate, it was good to see it out flying.

As you can tell by my avatar, I am a huge fan of the type and have spent many hours in them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:50 am 

Found this on Flickr, taken in 2020

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajw1970/50225928263

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, that is the aircraft, I did not see any markings other than in the fin, but at a distance, I couldn't be positive.
Nice looking ship.
It seems to have lost its old U.S. Army colours.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:34 am 

I was watching a crop dusting video and heard an unusual sound. At first I thought the farmer was in the field next door so I got outside late and this was the only picture I was able to get.

N9645 A Ford TriMotor that flew out of the Port Clinton Ohio and is still southeast bound to parts unknown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187