Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 187  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Saw a pair of V-22 Ospreys overflying the house. Never saw one in person before. Sounded like a helicopter mixed with a B-25.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 pm 

vulcan 558 at 13:05 flying over my office in Newark,uk. made my day!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 pm 

Yesterday in Dublin NH, a C-130 doing high speed low altitude terrain following, we were out in a field and he came right to us. Great sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm 

I snapped this picture of the B-17F Memphis Belle "The Movie" while The Liberty Foundation made it's stop here in Des Moines, Iowa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm a few days late with this, but...

On Monday, June 30, Miss Cindy and I were lounging in the aft pool on the Lido deck of the gorgeous MS Carnival Breeze, cold drinks in hand, gentle breeze blowing across the deck, tropical music playing in the background, about to depart from Key West, Florida. It was sooooo relaxing... and then... I heard it... the unmistakeable sound of a classic radial engine! Momentarily, a beautiful Stearman biplane, wearing blue and yellow trainer paint and full warbird markings, made a couple of low passes over the ship! I was, of course, absolutely delighted, but I suspect the Authorities might have felt differently. Ah, screw the Authorities! I thought it was cool! (and so did a bunch of other passengers!). Sorry, no photos (non-dive cameras and swimming pools don't mix).

Also, while we were ashore in Key West, we saw several Turbine Otters on floats operating in the area, obviously some kind of inter-island shuttle and/or sightseeing service. I tried to get pics of them, but they were too far away in the rather hazy sky to get a worthwhile image. (but I did try)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 pm 

A few days late, but we had about 40+ F-15s fly up to the Dayton area to escape Hurricane Andrew in NC. They were flying around the area all weekend.

Then had a replica WWI British fighter fly around the place on Saturday....I'm not good enough to tell what exactly it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 pm 

Out for our nightly walk last night. Heard the sound of big radials coming from the west. Got to see Aluminum Overcast on her way back to Oshkosh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 pm 

Was out in front of work this morning and caught a pair of Old Crows patrolling the skies over Detroit's western suburbs. Caught them heading back towards Willow Run a bit later too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It seems they were up tangling yesterday morning as well: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

"Connie Bowlin chasing Jack through the clouds. Flying a Mustang is good for the soul. Jack Roush getting ready for OSH."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
It seems they were up tangling yesterday morning as well: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

"Connie Bowlin chasing Jack through the clouds. Flying a Mustang is good for the soul. Jack Roush getting ready for OSH."

Awesome!
A couple of years ago they were departing Willow Run for Oshkosh at the same time I was driving past Willow Run on the way to Oshkosh. They beat me there btw.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 am 

I was out taking photos of local 'stuff' yesterday when this Widgeon passed overhead.

She was heading in the direction of Geneseo, NY... and that's where I'll be in a few hours, so I'm wondering if I'll see her again today?

Fade to Black...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A Super Cub/Husky on floats...too far away for a positive ID.
Someone also has a Carbon Cub on amphibs here.

Also, a Stearman in yellow USN colors....in other words, nothing unusual at KSFF.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Two Yak-52's about mid afternoon. I was working on some patio brick and living under the flightline for 11R, I usually try to spot whatever's flying over. What sounded like something with a really badly running engine caught my attention but when I moved out in the open it was two Yaks. At least I think that's what they were. Low wing monoplanes with a round engine, straight wings and rounded tail. One was mostly white with red/black trim and the other was in that grayish blue/green Soviet camo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 am 

A Stearman moving at a leisurly pace to the north over Zeist in the Netherlands.

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

On the way to the VFM hangar this morning, I saw Sikorsky S-58T N4XY, owned and operated by 5 State Helicopters, hauling load after load of heavy stuff onto the top of a new warehouse being built across the interstate from Alliance Airport. Obviously I had to exit the highway and watch for a few minutes, and since I had a camera with me, I also had to shoot a photo for your viewing pleasure! Sorry the color's so bad. I was shooting with my small camera, through a hazy sky, at extreme range, looking pretty much straight into the sun (in other words, about as bad as it gets!). The aircraft is actually a lovely dark blue color.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 187  Next