Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

i think the b-24 was fatal. there are plenty of b-24 wrecks around the world i know of about 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes but how complete of wrecks are they? :wink:

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:49 pm 

mg42 wrote:
well i would like to see it go to a public museum or be restored and flown in air shows instead of going to some body like the microsoft collector (private collection) or yagen etc

of course its not up to me but thats what i prefer

if i had the means to get the aircraft it would probably be in a museum

Both collectors you mentioned have museums that can be visited. YAGEN takes his aircraft to numerous airshows at great exspense to himself. ALLEN has flydays every month to shows his aircraft. They have the means(MONEY) to restore and operate them properly. And I am glad they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm 

Okay, I'm apparently a individual of questionable judgement. I've been through this twice and can't find the original reference to the B24. Anyone/everyone smarter thn me?

Joe Strummer, 1999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:25 pm 

fotobass wrote:
Okay, I'm apparently a individual of questionable judgement. I've been through this twice and can't find the original reference to the B24. Anyone/everyone smarter thn me?

First page post #13 :wink:

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:26 pm 

Sheesh.

Blindness sets in, ehh?

Joe Strummer, 1999

Post subject: P-40
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:12 am 

I did some ringing around last night and this morning, I needed to make sure I had my facts correct. I can add the following. The 'fighter' remains were relocated to the main terminal and the bomber type was definately a B24 with casualties. Apparently when some of the parts were lifted they broke up - this may not mean the parts are corroded etc but could relate to the rough handling. I've asked for some updated pics of the moved items as they appear today and have been advised this could occur, hopefully before Christmas but if not then early in the new year. The locals are quite annoyed apparently as a group from the US (maybe veterans - not my words) tried to remove some relics, this may have been the reason the locals decided to bring these items closer to the terminal so they can be observed.

I'll post the pics here as soon as they become available.

Shelldrake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:13 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Warbird Kid wrote:
Yes but how complete of wrecks are they? :wink:

there are plenty around. in various states of completeness. but it would be very expensive to get enough parts from several sites to build a complete one.

the big planes are rarely recovered. like the avro lancaster wreck in sweden, it has never been moved due to size.

Post subject: Re: P-40
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:16 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

shelldrake wrote:
I did some ringing around last night and this morning, I needed to make sure I had my facts correct. I can add the following. The 'fighter' remains were relocated to the main terminal and the bomber type was definately a B24 with casualties. Apparently when some of the parts were lifted they broke up - this may not mean the parts are corroded etc but could relate to the rough handling. I've asked for some updated pics of the moved items as they appear today and have been advised this could occur, hopefully before Christmas but if not then early in the new year. The locals are quite annoyed apparently as a group from the US (maybe veterans - not my words) tried to remove some relics, this may have been the reason the locals decided to bring these items closer to the terminal so they can be observed.

I'll post the pics here as soon as they become available.

Shelldrake.

the "locals" would be the hippy bird watching people. the only people there are the military occasionally on training, the darwin foundation people and very small settlement

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mg42 wrote:
the "locals" would be the hippy bird watching people.

I'd be careful throwing stones like that on a nutty war plane forum open to the general reader.

Their interest is no more or less marginal than ours.

They may even be able to capitalise. ;)

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject: P-40
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:37 am 

mg42, no offence but I suspect your details about these wrecks are as up to date as the information you provided on the Ju-88.

But what would I know, I've only visited the Galapagos Is and several of these sites over the last 10 years or so. I can also assure you the locals are far from the hippie bird watching type too. You really need to get out more.

Shelldrake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

shelldrake wrote:
mg42, no offence but I suspect your details about these wrecks are as up to date as the information you provided on the Ju-88.

But what would I know, I've only visited the Galapagos Is and several of these sites over the last 10 years or so. I can also assure you the locals are far from the hippie bird watching type too. You really need to get out more.

Shelldrake

no offense huh? what would you know? everything it seems :D

there is no point in me sharing any info when you shelldrake know it all

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3