Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 pm 

great pics, thanks for posting!! i just LOVE the look of that thing!!! big and mean and all business!! it would be criminal to keep that thing on the ground!! i'll pay for a ride on that! just name the time and place! wahoooooo!!!!!!! :drink3:

here a link some of you might enjoy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS_4157CR8A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:53 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Octane, was that you taking pictures about 10:30 am with the camera case talking to the guys in the spam can? I was the clown circling in the white pickup.

The Privateer is in the Yanks compound now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

mustangdriver wrote:
Matt, how did the POF get ownership of the B-17? :idea: :?:

And restoration was started almost 8 years ago. It jsut doesn't seem to be one of their most important projects. I can understand that, as they have a ton of stuff.

I don't know the inner agreements of the how and why, but I do know that POF was given title to the aircraft by the USAF or more appropriately, the USAFM at that time.

The reason it "just doesn't seem to be one of their most important projects" is simply due to financial considerations. The POF keeps a huge collection of aircraft airworthy and throws an annual airshow each year. The budget just for that, I'm sure, is HUGE! I've heard that if they had a sponsor come forward with about one million dollars, that they could complete the project and give it high priority. Just like all aviation museums around the world that are privately owned, money runs everything and is often the most constraining factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The reason I asked is because the way I understood it, there was no battle over the title. The NMUSAF gave the POF a clear title to the B-17. And as far as getting it back in the air, I know about the donation process, that is why I donated to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

But back on the topic, it is nice to see a rather rare type saved. I really hope they do a tri color scheme on it with some nose art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What did I miss? I thought all privateers were grounded by the FAA? something with the wingspar or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 am 

Fouga23 wrote:
What did I miss? I thought all privateers were grounded by the FAA? something with the wingspar or something?

There was an AD put out about cracked spars that they had to adhere to get airworthy.

Updated twice a week!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Personally, I would MUCH rather see a Privateer (Tri-color please, with nose art! ;) :lol: ) flying around, than another B-17. But I'm sure the general populace could care less and would want to see the B-17.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:06 pm 

I do give Yanks credit for buying the plane and putting it on display. However, my primary allegiance is to POF. While logically I know it's not feasible for them to have bought the plane, emotionally I would prefer if they owned it. However, to see it in Chino at all is a treat.

As for the B-17 restoration....I'll try and post some updated pictures soon. There's actually a lot of activity going on there these days. There's an entire volunteer crew working on stripping out the radio room and other areas. The new floor is almost complete and they are building a new set of stairs so folks can once again go inside and take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I give them all credit, they have saved a ton of warbirds, both the ones that fly, and the ones that are silent reminders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Definitely a neat plane. I'm a big fan of static museums, maybe more so than flying (don't shoot), but I'd love to see a privateer in the air...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Django wrote:
Personally, I would MUCH rather see a Privateer (Tri-color please, with nose art! ;) :lol: ) flying around, than another B-17. But I'm sure the general populace could care less and would want to see the B-17.

You can just paint it Olive Drab, slap Mem"F"is Belle nose art and some D-day invasion stripes on it and make everyone happy. :lol:

Sadly I think most people at airshows wouldn't know the difference. :?

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here are some pics of the area of the wing spar that caused the AD. These from several airframes.

and the AD, which covers 8 airframes, (5) PB4Y-2, (1) B-24A, (2) B-24J

2003-18-01 General Dynamics (Convair), General Dynamics (Consolidated-Vultee) (Army), and General Dynamics (Consolidated) (Army): Amendment 39-13292. Docket 2003-NM-164-AD. Supersedes AD 2003-08-13, Amendment 39-13126.

Applicability: All Model P4Y-2 airplanes, Model LB-30 airplanes, and Model C-87A airplanes; certificated in any category.

Compliance: Required as indicated, unless accomplished previously.

To find and fix fatigue cracking in the lower rear cap of the wing front spar, front spar web, and lower skin of the wings, which could result in structural failure of the wings and consequent loss of control of the airplane, accomplish the following:

Initial and Repetitive Inspections for Certain Airplanes

(a) For Models P4Y-2 and LB-30 airplanes: Within 30 days after May 7, 2003 (the effective date of AD 2003-08-13, amendment 39- 13126), do the actions specified in paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this AD per a method approved by the Manager, Los Angeles Certification Office (ACO), FAA.

(1) Do an inspection (between 39 and 63 inches outboard of the airplane center line on both the left and right sides of the wings) to find cracks in the lower rear cap of the wing front spar, front spar web, and lower skin of the wings localized under the front spar lower cap. Special detailed inspection procedures must be sufficiently reliable to determine the location, size, and orientation of the cracks.

(2) Develop repetitive inspection intervals that prevent crack growth from exceeding the minimum residual strength required to support limit load on the affected structure. The repetitive inspection intervals must be approved by the Manager, Los Angeles ACO. Thereafter, do the inspection approved per paragraph (a)(1) of this AD at the intervals approved per this paragraph.

Initial and Repetitive Inspections for Model C-87A Airplanes

(b) For all Model C-87A airplanes: Within 30 days after the effective date of this AD, do the actions specified in paragraphs (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this AD per a method approved by the Manager, Los Angeles ACO.

(1) Do an inspection (between 39 and 63 inches outboard of the airplane center line on both the left and right sides of the wings) to find cracks in the lower rear cap of the wing front spar, front spar web, and lower skin of the wings localized under the front spar lower cap. Special detailed inspection procedures must be sufficiently reliable to determine the location, size, and orientation of the cracks.

(2) Develop repetitive inspection intervals that prevent crack growth from exceeding the minimum residual strength required to support limit load on the affected structure. The repetitive inspection intervals must be approved by the Manager, Los Angeles ACO. Thereafter, do the inspection approved per paragraph (b)(1) of this AD at the intervals approved per this paragraph.

If Any Cracking Is Found

(c) If any crack is found during any inspection required by this AD, before further flight, do the action(s) specified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this AD per a method approved by the Manager, Los Angeles ACO.

(1) Repair or replace the cracked part or structure.

(2) Repeat the inspection required by paragraph (a)(1) of this AD at reduced intervals approved by the Manager, Los Angeles ACO, to find cracks before the growth is critical and exceeds the minimum residual strength required to support limit load on the affected structure.

Alternative Methods of Compliance

(d) In accordance with 14 CFR 39.19, the Manager, Los Angeles ACO, FAA, is authorized to approve alternative methods of compliance for this AD.

Effective Date

(e) This amendment becomes effective on September 18, 2003.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is cool matt, was that your inspection you did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:02 pm 

Thank-you for posting the detailed pictures and the education about this AD. The kind of information exchange that makes WIX worth the effort.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next