Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Excellent photos PJ....thx!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

An intersting nose on this one. Our Harpoon has this same aluminum nose with no fiberglass radome over the nose.

Ryan

PJ wrote:
Unknown Harpoon in an unknown location. Looks like overall dark blue reserve paint scheme:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 pm 

Hi Ryan,
I noticed that too. Could be that the fiberglass radome was removed after the war, since that is a reserve paint scheme, or...Jenny wonders if this is a PV-2C?

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff'
www.amahf.org

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

PJ,

The interesting part about our nose that looks identical to that nose is that it is REALLY well done. Next time I am out in CA I wil have to take a look at it again but if I recall there was virtually no sign of the old confiugartion on the nose including no sign of the mouting hole or brakets for the gun camera on the starboards side although it does have the mounting brackets and ports for the upper 2 .50 cal machine guns. Whomever, did the mod was highly skilled. To bad we don't know the serial number of the aircraft in the photo, I wonder if it could be our bird.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm 

No identification visibale on the plane. Mountains and palm trees in the background. Of course, no one wrote on the back of the picture.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:07 am 

Hello WIXers,

Aaaand ... we're back.

The regular maintenance reports have been on hiatus for a while, as you will have noticed if you're used to following the doin's of the Hot Stuff crew. Holidays and bitter cold pretty much shut down activities out there on the ramp lately. But the holidays are all over, and the usual Indiana January Thaw is in progress, and certain logistical developments have given the maintenance force a much-needed impetus as well.

It was a dreary, foggy, no-flying day Saturday, but then, flying wasn't what we had in mind in any case. Above is a view of the Harpoon ramp from our storage t-hangar across the way. PJ and I were hauling materials over there, getting it out of the way. We're clearing the decks for our upcoming MX push: yet another engine change--this time, it's No. 2 (the right-hand engine) that's being swapped.

There you see WIXer Johnny Gearpin--better known on our ramp as "John FedEx", mugging for the camera in front of No. 1, which we were hanging this time last year. Unlike our upcoming job, that engine was being resurrected from a locked-up, dead, failed hunka junk. The shop who did the overhaul was Anderson Airmotive of Idaho. They are good people, and do good work.

Ol' Johnny Gearpin is a flight-line mechanic at FedEx's Indianapolis hub in real life, and he conspired with his bosses and his bosses' bosses last year to get that engine shipped to us from Idaho. And now he's done it again: our newest engine is on another FedEx truck, on its way, thanks to the same folks again.

If you've followed our saga in the past, you know that the AMHF is very much a shoestring operation. We've barely hung on financially for the past several years, and our small membership have been financing our operations mostly out of pocket during this time, often spending money we don't really have just to make ends (barely) meet. And we had been stymied in recent weeks, trying to figure out how in heck we were going to come up with the funds to ship a whole ton of R-2800 clear across the continent. But then, just this past Friday, out of the blue comes the ecstatic phone-calls of Johnny Gearpin, informing us that his emloyer is coming through for us again!

So when I say, about this generous donation of shipping, that we are sooo very extremely grateful, the words do not even scratch the surface of the square root of the vast leviathan of gratitude they are trying to describe. Once again, just when you've run out of options, and don't know what you're gonna do, up steps an unexpected benefactor, just in the nick of time, and you're in business. It's happened that way repeatedly for us in recent years. It's almost as though somebody up there likes us.

Anyhow, more on the engine change shortly. First, let's turn to the report of the day's activities, and the usual pictures of the goings-on.

Since the flight insurance is expiring, and we still have not succeeded in getting an indoor home for the winter, we kicked off the annual/240-hour inspection right where we're at, outdoors. Not for the first time nor the last time, the Hot Stuff crew is feeling great sympathy for those mechs of Fleet Air Wing Four, who maintained these birds outdoors in like conditions up there in the Aleutians back in the day.

Item Number One on the list, then, was to run both engines and warm up the oil, preparatory to draining it. It's been a while since we've flown, and our rule of thumb is, if you haven't run within the last two weeks, you've got to pre-oil. So pre-oil we did.

There's a view of the operation in progress. We have an old hydraulic pump, driven by an electric drill, pumping oil to the pre-oil connection in the nacelle. While the oil's going in, several people pull the prop through. Among other benefits, this drives the scavenge pump, which keeps the engine case from just filling up with oil.

There's another view of the business, on the other side. While the engines are being prepped, the crew is taking care of preparations in the rest of the plane, too--covers have to be pulled, and cockpit made habitable, control locks removed, and systems checked.

There's Machine Shop Gaylon, servicing the brake accumulator. Even though we're not even going to pull chocks, the plane is basically completely preflighted by the time we start the first engine. The brakes are serviced by pumping the pedals repeatedly, to bleed down the accumulator all the way. Then the system pressure is read. The required pre-charge is 400 psi. If it's lower than that, we bring out the nitrogen and pump up the accumulator as necessary.

And there goes co-pilot Scotty with a set of cowl plugs. We had enough people out there--half a dozen--to get things done in good order.

Finally, everything's in readiness, so the inside-the-plane crew climbed inside and started the checklist while fire guards PJ and President Rich took up their stations in front. There, through the windscreen, we see Long Tall Glen, Scotty, and Gaylon, setting up for the start.

There's President Rich, stationed where he can keep an eye on No. 2. PJ was similarly placed in front of No. 1. The proper position for a fire guard is the spot where the whole nacelle is visible, but also the pilot on that side. If something's going south, the ground crew can signal the cockpit crew to knock it off and shut down, but only if everyone can see each other!

There she is, both fans turning, with PJ in her fire-guard position. This was probably the last time we'll see and hear that starboard engine running for a long time to come. It's a good engine, but it's going to be pickled and put into storage as a spare in favor of the zero-time engine that's on its way.

After they've run for a while, and props and systems were exercised, and the oil thoroughly heated up, then it's time to shut 'em down and open the drains.

The Y-drain for the tank is at the low point of the system in each nacelle. We had about 12 gallons per side to drain. Once the main oil tank is empty, then we pull the drain plug in the oil cooler, and then in the rocker-box sump at the bottom of the cylinders. We'll pull the screens and check them later.

A couple trips back to the storage T-hangar and oil dump gets rid of the waste. There go PJ and Johnny Gearpin with the tug/trailer.

The rest of the day was taken up with business meeting, in which priorities/schedule for the upcoming effort were set and some necessary business was taken care of. One of the main items involved promoting ol' FedEx to Maintenance Team Leader. Although he is a qualified A&P and well respected in the group, he has resisted this for some time, but finally relented. Subject to approval of our Inspector, George Miller, which is expected, FedEx will be a much-valued addition to the leadership out there on the ramp. You see him there, in the middle, going "No! No! No! Oh, well, okay." Congratulations, FedEx!

The new engine I've been talking about is the first major benefit that has arisen from Hot Stuff being named an official Historic Location by the US Department of the Interior last season. That was the result of considerable effort by former President Penny, who also started the grant-writing effort that led to the donation of the engine. President Rich, Electrical Guru Roy, and Gaylon brought the grant home. One stipulation of the grant is that the new engine must be installed and running no later than the end of May.

So, this will be the fourth engine change I've been involved with on this plane, and I expect this one will be easier than most, since it's the first one that hasn't involved replacing a failed powerplant. We expect to have the new engine arriving in about a week. We'll be pulling that right-hand engine next Saturday, weather permitting, and there'll be plenty of photogenic goings-on for me to post up. And of course, plenty of doin's that bear describing.

We're back on our two-a-day-at-minimum maintenance schedule for the foreseeable future, and I expect we'll be splitting up into project teams except for all-hands evolutions. In addition to the engine swap and annual inspection, we have some restoration projects looming--especially the radio operator's compartment and work back in the turret and tunnel positions, and there will be some highly interesting disassembly/reassembly going on in the cockpit, too.

So stay tuned!

Till next time,

------------------------------

Support "Hot Stuff"
Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon of the
American Military Heritage Foundation
http://www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:34 am 

Hi All-

Just a quick update here- Several of us made it out this afternoon (whupps; yesterday afternoon) to start the process of removing the right engine. More logistics were addressed, the oil cooler, it's mounts, and the related cowling panels are off. The cooler is being flushed prior to being set aside for the duration. Rather a number of the myriad miscellaneous details have been addressed as well.

Perhaps thte best news of all today is that through the generosity of several parties, we are now anticipating a new carb to go with the new engine. Additionally, we'll be getting the old carb checked, adjusted, and pickled as a spare. Ideally, we'd like to end up with a freshly overhauled example of each accessory on the shelf as spares, but that's just not something that's liable to happen soon.

We anticipate having smallish crews out Wednesday and Thursday to get as much done as possible. Should all the required prep get done, there will be plenty of safety wire to cut, baffles to pull, ignition leads to remove, and general D check items to address to keep everyone available busy for the foreseeable future.

As employment no longer interferes with my other pursuits, and Jen is pretty well hoppin', I'll try to help fill in a bit on the board here on those days Jen can't. I'll appologize in advance for my lack of writing style, but I am a nuts and bolts kind of person.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bubba wrote:
I'll try to help fill in a bit on the board here on those days Jen can't. I'll appologize in advance for my lack of writing style, but I am a nuts and bolts kind of person.

Jen is certainly a tough act to follow, with her easy style, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck with the works...
Cheers,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm 

The more the merrier, is what I say, and Bubba--who has been previously known in these pages as "Long Tall Glen"--will be in a fine position to observe and report, seeing as how he frequently leads the mid-week maintenance team.

But you have just got to get pictures, Bubba. The people love to look at pictures.

Anyhow, between the two of us, plus the occassional kibitzing of PJ, plus anyone else on the team who cares to chime in with their own views and observations, we ought to have a good description of this winter's effort. A lot's going to be going on out there on the Hot Stuff ramp, so welcome to all who want to help with the reports!

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:51 am 

Hi WIXers,

Here we are again, out on the AMHF ramp at Mount Comfort airport, changing an engine in the middle of winter. Lordy, I wonder if I will ever have a winter maintenance cycle that doesn't include an engine change?--

But who's complaining? Not me--as I mentioned last time, for a change, this engine swap doesn't involve a failed locked-up engine. We're going to have a good-running spare in the hangar, and a zero-time engine replacing it on the wing, thanks to receipt of a semi-miraculous grant from the Department of Natural Resources.

We got word a couple weeks ago that the overhauler, Anderson Airmotive of Boise Idaho, is done with the replacement engine, and we also heard that the donated shipping from FedEx is about ready to start transporting, so it's time to yank that puppy off the wing.

We have a crew with good experience at this sort of thing, and so I have to say that this engine-removal evolution went about as well and efficiently as it ever has. As always, I worry about our people when we've got a full ton of R-2800 suspended in mid-air, but we finished the day with all machinery and people intact, so it was a good day.

Let's get on to the photo-essay, shall we?

There's Long Tall Glen (WIX handle: "Bubba") and President Rich, dribbling heavy black prop oil all over the area. The prop is the first thing to come off, of course, but as I've written about that process in several photo-rich postings, I'll just leave it at that. It always makes a bit of a mess, thanks to the four-gallons-or-so of oil that's in the dome. You can avoid spilling most of it, if you're dextrous and quick (which the boys were, above), but you'll never avoid spilling some of it. It dribbles from the hub for some while, too. Luckily, it wasn't a very windy day, so the mess stayed somewhat localized.

The prop ended up on our jeep trailer, where it will live until it's time to put it back on--after the new engine is installed. We have a few maintenance things we'll want to address with the prop while it's off.

Fully de-cowling the engine exposes nearly everything in the nacelle. Our mid-week crew pulled the lower section, including the oil cooler and its mount. The only permanently-mounted items remaining were the nose ring and the cowl flaps, and here you see the crew in the process of removing those. The nose ring bolts to the forward edge of the cylinders, attaching to an eye on each cylinder via an "H" bracket. The left and right cowl flap segments attach in the same way. While waiting for the big forklift to arrive for the engine pull, we had time to address these items, which otherwise would have been done with the engine in the shop.

In the picture there is Hot Rod Steve below, John FedEx (WIX name: Johnny Gearpin), PJ, and behind the engine, I think, is Glen.

Soon enough came Sideshow Ted and his giant forklift. When we need to lift an engine, Ted's always our man. He and Hot Rod Steve are pros at this sort of work, and so we put them in charge of all such evolutions. Guys that know what they're doing, certified rigging gear and a hoist that can lift far more than a measly ton of engine make for lower stress! There's Ted, waiting for the games to begin, talking with Machine Shop Gaylon.

Steve (below) and Glen are getting the rigging hooked up and properly tensioned, above. A three-point suspension (upper engine mount legs and prop shaft) with a chain hoist at each point lets us tweak the tension until it's even everywhere, which helps immensely, both when removing and installing an engine. The mounting bolts are close-tolerance, and keeping an even strain is what's needed when dealing with them. The engine does not sit level with the ground, either--the plane sits tail-low, and there's dihedral in the wing, so you have to adjust for both angles.

The topside crew is working on getting the upper engine-mount bolts out, there. FedEx and I got the lower bolts out first thing after the hoist was installed, and then got ourselves out of there. That's PJ, Glen, and President Rich working the inboard upper bolt free. As soon as it's out, they'll clear out, too, and get the maintenance stands out of there as well.

And here it comes. The engine broke loose with minimal swing, pretty as you please. We're working slowly and carefully here, and it is just progressing nice and stately.

And there it is, on our very fine engine stand as Steve de-rigs the hoisting gear. This stand was built by Machine Shop Gaylon, what, three years ago now? We've gotten an awful lot of use out of it. It's made to hold the "quick engine change" package of engine, mount, and all.

And there's Glen. As instructed, he's posing in a "Manly" stance for the photo. Unknown to him, PJ is behind, providing the "quotes" (look close, and you can see her hands above his shoulders). Heh.

Then part of the crew wheeled the engine and stand into the shop and began stripping it, while the rest of us went over to the storage hangar. Among other activities, we dragged out the engine-can lid we've had in there for ages, cluttering up the place. We're going to turn it in to the scrapyard to raise some badly-needed cash, as we're barely eking by, and we won't have any income till flying season. So every bit of cash helps, and the "scrap for bombers" campaign is an ongoing thing. That can lid weighs at least 750 pounds, so it'll bring us some.

Our heavy equipment boys (Ted and Steve) flipped it over, making it a giant bucket. They gave a heck of a demonstration of forklift-ology while doing so. IndyJen thinks she is a pretty fair forklift operator herself, but she was corked up and had to take a back seat after observing the pros in action!

We then threw in all the accumulated scrap we had on hand. It made a noise like dropping a battleship on a mountain of church bells. It was great.

And when the day was over, there's what we were left with: engine in the shop, being stripped of accessories and reusable components. Soon the replacement engine will be here. This weekend, we'll likely get that engine off the mount and start the preservation process. It'll be in the hangar, pickled, waiting for its day to come again.

That's the news for this time. Stay tuned for more!

Till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I see HotStuff is listed on the Mid Atlantic Air Museums WWII weekend airshow roster 8)

I look forward to seeing her. I have not seen her since 1995 at McGuire AFB. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm 

Hey TADan,

Yep, we're coming to Reading, all right! Our man Johnny Gearpin used to work with those folks, and he's greased the skids successfully. We're really looking forward to it, and if I have anything to say about it, we will have J. Gearpin fully qualified as flight crew by then, and he'll be The Man when we fly in to Reading. It'll be a great time.

I don't have time to write the full post for this week's maintenance, but: our shiny new engine has arrived, as as I just mentioned, it is shiny. Man, I have never before beheld such a beautiful example of a Pratt & Whitney. Anderson Airmotive have outdone themselves this time.

Full description and pictures galore to follow ...

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hey WIXers,

Just a note to let you know: tomorrow (Thursday, Feb 3 2010), there'll be a bit on the Warbird Radio featuring yours truly yammering about Hot Stuff, Harpoons, chick mechanics, and who knows what all.

http://www.warbirdradio.com/

Starts at 10:00 a.m. EST. And there's talk of future bits with more of the same!

One can only hope that such notoriety leads to goodwill out there in the world towards Harpoons, organizations that maintain and fly Harpoons, and individuals who belong to organizations that maintain and fly Harpoons. And donations. Scads of lucrative donations, the better to fund Harpoon restorations with.

Or at least goodwill.

Enjoy,

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 am 

Hi WIXers,

The weather outside has been frightful, but luckily for the Hot Stuff crew, we've had plenty of work inside, in the shop.

There's a look at the conditions that prevail at the moment. We here in Indiana haven't had quite the dump of snow that east coast has been dealing with, but there have been several good storms roll through, and it's not done any appreciable melting in between.

So, we're back to one of those periods when we sympathize very strongly with those poor mechanics back in the day, struggling with the conditions up there in the Aleutians. As you know, our plane was part of Fleet Air Wing Four back then, forgotten and suffering in the most miserable place on the face of the earth. We feel for those boys, we do, and we empathize!

But shortly before the big storms arrived, something else arrived, which I alluded to in the recent Warbird Radio interview--our brand-new engine arrived from Anderson Airmotive, shipped for free by our good friends and supporters at FedEx. And what a sight it is.

There's the precious package right there, coming into the shop on our FBO's forklift. Indy Aero is always ready to lend us a tool or a bit of help of this kind when it's time to lift a whole ton of R-2800, or a prop, or a full barrel of oil, or the like.

There they are, both engines side by side. Our folks have been stripping the old engine of accessories and transferrable parts since we pulled it off the wing a couple weeks ago.

The Wednesday after the engine arrived, this is what the ramp turned into. Phew! This photo was taken by our man Johnny Gearpin, who has been doing some serious work on the shop in conjunction with Sideshow Ted and others. Bright lights in there, now, and painting is progressing, too.

There's a view of PJ, Rich No. 1 (the Official Dad of IndyJen) and Long Tall Glen stripping the cocoon of packaging off the new engine. As the protective covering came away, what was revealed was ... the shiniest Pratt and Whitney anyone has ever seen. Holy cow! You could eat off this engine.

No, you see? I'm not kidding. What a work of art.

So, as I say, work continues on transferring the items. There we see Scotty, working on getting the pins out of the engine-mount nuts.

And there's President Rich, working on the same thing. There are six Lord mounts that attach the engine to the ring-mount. Each Lord mount has a threaded portion that sticks through a bobbin on the ring. A cone-shaped nut attaches the two parts, and after that's been properly torqued, it's pinned.

It's just a bear to get those pins installed, and it's a bear to remove them, too. It is what it is.

And there's Dad, working on moving the prop governor over to the new engine. Johnny Gearpin, there next to him, has done a whole bunch of work on that shop, as I say, but almost always when I'm not there to capture him in action, so I'm glad we were in the same place at the same time for this pic at least.

There's Dad and PJ, continuing to remove various things that need removing. PJ, I think, is taking off exhaust components. The work seems just endless, because it's a million tiny parts that each have to be handled, and then cleaned, and inspected, and sorted. And the old engine seems to grow two new parts for every part that's removed.

There's Machine Shop Gaylon, having a laugh with Dad and PJ (partly visible; she's up on the stand, working on the engine). Gaylon's been doing a bit of work in the cockpit, which I hope to get some pics of this weekend: he's been attending to throttle-quadrant friction lock assembly, which nowadays provides very little friction and almost no locking. It assembles with a special bolt, which needs a special tool that does not exist anymore. So Gaylon went back to his machine shop and fabricated the special tool. Now that assembly is out of there, so hopefully we'll be getting a load of it presently.

Electrical Guru Roy, there, is cleaning and gapping the 36 spark plugs. He also was doing checks on electrical hardware as it came off--wiring harnesses, and the generator also got some attention from him.

And there's Don the new fellow, who prefers that his WIX nickname be "Mini-Me." There is a story behind this, apparently involving an extremely bald pilot's union representative, but I don't have that story down pat. But Don Mini-Me it shall be. Don's an A&P and a pilot of aeroplanes from little taildraggers up to heavy jets, so it'll be good to have him on the mx force and presumably, come flying season, up in the right seat as well.

This weekend, we expect to be ready to pull that old engine off the mount and move it to a temporary stand. We'll finish cleaning and preserving it, and once it's properly pickled, desiccated, and wrapped, we'll move it into storage. It was/is a good old engine, overhauled at NAS Alameda in 1953 and stored in the desert in a can for the next 40-odd years, until the AMHF got it five years ago. Still relatively low time, and a good strong engine, it'll be a comfort to know that it's in the storage hangar, waiting for its day to come again.

But hopefully, it'll be a while before that day comes!

In the meantime, we still have this stuff looming outside, so it's good to have some inside work. This stuff will melt away presently, and it'll be back outside to attend to the airframe, getting ready for spring and the resumption of the flying schedule.

Anyhow, look for updates on the weekend's activities and the other picturesque doin's of the Hot Stuff crew, coming soon ...

till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

Last edited by IndyJen on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hello again WIXers,

Work progresses out on the Hot Stuff ramp, or more properly, inside the Hot Stuff shop.

There you see what we have had, climatically speaking, for conditions in recent times. That picture is from last week. We had a bit of a thaw this weekend, And even did some airframe work--more on that presently--but the main thing that's been going on lately, of course is the engine change.

The first order of business was to move the old No. 2 engine off its mount, and onto a temporary handling stand. There are Rich No. 1 (The Official Dad of Indyjen), yours truly, and PJ talking about coming events--any time we put two thousand pounds of R-2800 in the air, we have a thorough talk about it beforehand. All the AMHF'ers still have all their fingers; we like it that way.

Scotty and President Rich are putting on the hoisting tackle. This lift uses the four engine-case lifting eyes. Hanging an engine on-wing, we'd use the engine-mount lugs and prop shaft as our lift points.

What we're doing, here, is taking up the weight of the engine with the hoist, and then pulling engine mount and maintenance stand off the engine by hand. You get good control of things that way, and it works pretty well.

Dad's on the hoist, and the engine's in the air, and right about now is when we realize that we had better get those lower Lord mounts off of there before we go much farther--we have suddenly realized that the rube goldberg temp stand will prevent us from getting them off after we put the engine down. So we had to get those two off before we could put it on the stand. That turned out to be more laborious and difficult that it needed to be, but sometimes it seems like Pratt and Whitney intentionally want to torture mechanics.

And there's our setup when it was all done. The mount is ready to be bead-blasted and fpi'd, and transfer of accessories has proceeded. The Extremely Shiny Engine keeps picking up encrustations.

Long Tall Glen and Dad are there, combing over the E.S.E. making sure it has what it needs. It is possible that they are connecting ignition leads here. Yesterday he and I put some exhaust parts on. He's been working way harder on the old plane than me, which would put me to shame, I suppose, if I had any.

We have had a big Wednesday crew nowadays, and they have been making it happen. A lot of their projects took big strides Saturday, too. The balmy weather--it was above freezing!--let us go outside to play for a change.

Our man Sideshow Ted is the AMHFer with the biggest mechanical toys. He came out to push snow around on the ramp and make some working area for us, and as you see, the snow is moving.

We have some seven-foot snow walls around the ramp by the office now. If any airport neighbors are so foolish as attack us with snowballs any time between now and June, we will have a well nigh impregnable snow fort.

The snow-walls came in handy when it was time to clean the exhaust heat shield. The "dishpan" had a lot of coking and such. PJ and I blasted it with baking soda. The soda blaster worked great, but we ran into moisture problems, and so there's some yet to clean. We'll put a line dryer on that compressor, and we'll be good.

PJ and I took turns with the blaster, which had the status of "new toy" with us. When the soda was flowing, it cleaned like a champion as you can see.

Meanwhile, up in the cockpit, Gaylon was wrapping up his project to get the throttle-quadrant friction lock working properly. It's awkward area to work in, even with the seats removed, and Gaylon is a good-sized fellow. But he still wedges in there and gets the job done.

These components are the majority of the assembly. There's also a spring cup and pressure plate, and a slotted bushing on the other side of the quadrant. The special bolt (which needed Gaylon to make yet another special tool to remove) goes right through the middle of all the levers. An antirotation pin locks it in place, or would, if it hadn't sheared. A new pin, and all the bits cleaned up and moving freely, and the friction lock is working very well.

In the shop, the crew was preserving the former No. 2 engine, closing it up and preparing it to be moved into storage. Cylinders may yet need to be fogged, but it's otherwise well sealed. There's Glen, above, with his system for keeping the air in the blower case dry--desiccant bags suspended by little brackets from the cover plate.

The preservation work was done before the day was out, so as long as Ted was there with his giant forklift, we had him carry the engine over to the storage hangar. We can finish wrapping it up over there, and the extra room in the shop is a good thing.

On the electrical bench, Electical Guru Roy and President Rich have been doing a lot of work, too. Rich was working on the J-box, preparing a New Old Stock box for installation. Roy's been working on the generator brushes, and there's cable shields to fabricate, and wiring harnesses that he has been combing through.

As soon as the mount is inspected and painted, we'll start hanging all the stuff back on it, and that shiny engine will go on it, too. The maintenance tempo out here continues to be pretty rapid, especially considering the small gang that's making it happen. More pictures and long-winded descriptions coming up--and it won't be all that much longer before we can hear these engines fire up again!

Till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

Last edited by IndyJen on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next